Author Topic: 8 weeks old - Difficult to keep EASY track  (Read 6215 times)

Offline Linhi

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 weeks old - Difficult to keep EASY track
« on: January 12, 2014, 06:40:20 am »
My DD is 8 weeks old, on 3hr routine now. She is quiet good sleeper/feeder, can self-sleep with her pacifier. Im trying to keep her on EASY track but mostly she makes it to ESAY. It's hard to keep her awake after feeding even though i tried to make her awake. She sleep pretty well and then awake about 30-1h before the next feeding. If i dont let her sleep, she will be very annoyed, cry out loud.

Another thing, I havent tried DF yet. But her last feed is around 9.30 after massage/bath. The problem is my DD never wake up at the same time, sometimes 2,3,4 or even 5. Then the next feed around 6-8.  ??? ??? ???

What should i do to keep her on EASY track and make the wake-up time at 7 everymorning.

Thanks alot

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 8 weeks old - Difficult to keep EASY track
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 13:37:09 pm »
Hi honey, could you post a day in EAS format for us? It does sound like you've got quite a late BT there which may affect the whole day as many LOs of this age have body clocks that suit an earlier BT. Once you've posted a typical day we may have more tips. Xx
~ Naomi ~

Offline Linhi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:22:29 am »
Thanks alot. Im searching alot in the forum but havent find the answer. As some topic said if your baby have erratic NF, she want to change 3h routine -> 4h but i think it's too soon for my 8w o DD. And also, i think she is spirited as she is easily get excited in everything but nothing last long, and sometime, i have to take toy or block her visual to put her in sleep. She loves light, curtain...

I dont wake up my DD so she doesnt have exact wake-up time but we keep it around 7-8 only. If she wake up early and want to feed, we give paci, or if she stay sleep after 8, we will wake her up (but it hasnt happened yet).

Yesterday, i push her bathtime little ealier but seem not work with her because she cant sleep like used to. I really want to make BT at 7 (after 7.00 feed time) and make her to bed but i dont know how to change the routine as she is having done the old routine quiet good (7e , 9 bt , 9.30 e-s)

Her yesterday routine:

NF: 3am
Wake-up - E: 8.00
A: 8.20 - diaper change
S: 9

E: 11.00 (wake up to feed)
A: 11.20
S: 12.45 Sleep but cant fall into deep sleep

E: 14.00

S: 15.20

E: 17.00

S: 17.40

A: 18.20
 - want to sleep but cant so little fussy (she normally fussy around 6-8pm)

Bathtime 8

E: 8.30

S: 9.00 - but not deep sleep until 10.30

DF: 11.10 (not take all the bottle)

4am today: NF

Wake & E: 7.00
S: 7.45
E: 10.00

S: 10.35

E: 13.00

S: 14.05

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:25:00 am by Linhi »

Offline Linhi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 05:28:24 am »
Hi, quick update

I found out that my DD will sleep longer if she take more milk at last feed and vice versa. But i cant control her on that, if she doesnt want, she will split out - fall to sleep - drink super super slow.

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:11:23 am »
Hi hun, got to rush to work but just wanted to say that second A time seems a bit too long for her age. Have you see this?
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

For N 8 wk old an A time of 1hr 15/20 is likely to be the best time for her to nap well (ie for at least 1.5/2 hours). The first a time is a little shorter it you're getting a good nap from it so I wouldn't change it for now. You're likely to need to keep that second A shorter to get a good nap. I think she's a bit OT then.

Be back later xx
~ Naomi ~

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 13:54:15 pm »
Taking a second look, you probably want to keep her on more like a 12-hr day. Any longer at this age will probably lead to OT and more likely to NWs.

Having said that the night feedings you posted look good for this age. Am I reading right that she has a DF at 11ish and then wakes at 3/4ish to feed and sleeps through until 8am ish? Ideally, you would want the DF to be approx 3hours from BT so because BT is late this may make the DF difficult for you. She's probably not taking a full feed because it's so close to her last feed.

What do you think?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Linhi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 10:09:09 am »
Hi,

Thanks alot for ủr helping. I have checked the A time before. But sometimes, it's hard to keep it on track... Dd sometimes fall asleep on the bottle and hardly wake up. Or she's taking nap and then suddenly cry and become fussy as she cant fall back to sleep. Are all baby the same?

Im newbie and not E speaking. Some words i dont understand yet. Is bt mean bathtime? Or you mean bedtime? Yesterday i pushed bathtime to 8, df at 11.30 (i know it's too late for df) but my dd didnt take the bottle. I tried everyway, she just didnt drink any at all. I dont want to wake her up so i stopped.

Also what does ot stand by? And i dont understand "keep her on more 12-hr day"?? Do you mean make her a more than 12?

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 10:32:57 am »
Sorry honey, yes BT is bedtime.
OT is overtired, this can happen if a little one (LO) is not asleep early enough or can happen from a build up of not enough sleep.

When I mentioned about the 12 hours I meant try to keep the day only 12 hours long and not more.

At this age the A time can be just a nappy change and a little walk about looking at things while you carry her.
Are you feeding her when she wakes from her nap?

Does that make more sense?
~ Naomi ~

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:34:19 am »
P.S. What is your first language - we have many nationalities here and there may be someone here who can speak to you directly. Your English is great by the way xx
~ Naomi ~

Offline Linhi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 05:28:10 am »
Im from Vietnam. I havent read the book before as i found the forum first. You are doing great for helping new moms understand their child. Im so excited, waiting to read the full book.

Again, i pushed the bath time earlier yesterday around 7.30 after 7 feed. But we messed up a little bit as she vomit after the bath, so she falled asleep around 8.30 after little top. I was going to df her around 10.30 but she woke up before (lol). Last night she woke again around 3am and morning at 7.

And yes, we are trying to keep the awake time (except after 7am feed because we want to sleep more through) and we are doing great. We always catch her first cue and let her sleep by her own but im just concern why most of the time she cant keep her nap full through next feed. She keep waking herself up and need props to fall back sleep, not like her nighttime. And sometimes, she sleep through next feed but i always wake her up as recommended in forum.

I only feed her when it,s the time to feed.

Offline Linhi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:12:35 am »
Baby is so different each day. My dd now struggling with nap. She felt asleep and woke up from jolt all the time, which made her fussy. I hold her but she still difficult to go to deep sleep. :( i dont want her ot at all.

Last night she woke up at 1.30 so i gave her paci. And again about 3.30 for fed. How do we know that she wake for feed or not as she doesnt have exact time for night feed? Is that a stupid question? I only fed her at 3 as i want that. But im just worry i let her hungry :(

If i want the wake up time to 9, is that too late and how to?

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 20:09:55 pm »
Sorry to hear your bathtime didn't go as planned, perhaps bath was a little too so after that 7pm feed?

Are you asking if you can do a 9am - 9pm day? This is possible yes but if your LO is currently waking naturally at 7am, that's quite a change. You'd need to get her onto a settled routine with good naps and feeds and then slowly move the day later a bit every few days by letting her sleep in in the morning if she'll do it. But only a bit at a time otherwise it might mess up the routine.

At this age they can often need two or three night feeds (including a dream feed). As an easy rule you want to try to feed less often at night than in the day, so if she manages 3 hours in the daytime then if she wakes at night and it's more than 3 hours after her last feed then you can feed. Anything less than that try to resettle with the paci and some pat/shh.

Hope that helps. Xx
~ Naomi ~

Offline Linhi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 03:20:14 am »
Yes, it help a lot.

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 23:41:54 pm »
:)
~ Naomi ~

Offline Linhi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 10:59:42 am »
Hi,

More question. Today we are doing great. But the longest wake up time i can keep her up is about 1h. Other just around 30-45' because she has 1st yawn like 5' after she finish the bottle. Is that ok? As a time for 2m baby is 1h20. If a is short, does it affect nighttime?
Also, if she wake up from nap 30' before next feed, what should i do?

Dd also easily wake up from nap and easily to sleep but never deep sleep.... Im worry as she will be tired for not have deep sleep. I tried to black out her view, keep quiet but not work. Although she is quiet good at night
Thanks again
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:08:52 am by Linhi »