Author Topic: 4 month old and confused about when to introduce solids  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Sarah-mom of 3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
4 month old and confused about when to introduce solids
« on: January 13, 2014, 15:37:09 pm »
Hello!
My LO is 4 months old and I think it may be time to start some solids.  With my other two children, I started with rice baby cereal, but a friend said that oatmeal is better for baby.  Then on the BW Forums, I'm reading a lot about starting with pureed veggies first and holding off on cereal until 6 months as the cereal can cause gastrointestinal issues.  I'm a little confused as to what to start with!
DS2 has also has been experiencing sleeping issues at night.  He wakes every hour now, and although I offer BF, he usually just gently suckles and falls back asleep, not feeding at all.  We're on week 4 of this now....so I'm sleep deprived and second guessing myself constantly!
I'm wondering if i started solids if this would help?
Thank you for any thoughts!!!

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 4 month old and confused about when to introduce solids
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 15:38:43 pm »
Most places now don't advice solids until 6months. The night wakings sound like BF is a prop rather than hunger?

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 15:58:19 pm »
My LO is 7.5 months and I started him with solids at 5.5 months. We have had awful nights from about 3.5 months and nothing I do feed-wise makes a jot of difference to his nights. He lapped up the solids and no change to the nights, I cut back in case they were giving him tummy pain at night or keeping him from taking enough breast milk during the day and still no change. He is consistent with the two night feeds regardless and wakes at other times too not wanting a feed (I'm yet to establish a reason for this! ;) ).

You need to do what you feel is right for your LO but I would hold off if I were you.

With regards to that to start With, I just started with fruit and veg and was cautious with cereals/rice as I have a refluxer.
Catherine x

Offline Sarah-mom of 3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 15:59:12 pm »
Thank you for your quick response, Anna!  I actually was afraid to have BF be a prop so last night was the FIRST time in this 4 week battle for nighttime sleep.  He just wakes and takes a pacifier and then resettles, until the net hour!  So maddening!
I wondered if i should offer a bottle after every nursing session to make sure he's getting enough during the day? But if he wasn't, wouldn't he be more interested in feeding at night?

Offline Sarah-mom of 3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 16:02:14 pm »
Thank you, Catherine!  I have a refluxer too, so perhaps it would be better to hold off?  My pediatrician wants me to start now with cereal b/c he thinks it will HELP to settle the reflux!?  These precious babies should come with operating instructions!  ;)

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 16:07:24 pm »
From what I know (and I'm not an expert on reflux at all!!) solids can either really help with reflux or really NOT help  ::) So it may be worth trying if you have a refluxer but be careful what you give.

I'll find some links for you :)
Catherine x

Offline <Catherine>

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 16:11:06 pm »
Catherine x

Offline Sarah-mom of 3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 16:15:17 pm »
Thanks Catherine!!!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 00:08:28 am »
Is the paci a prop?

Offline Sarah-mom of 3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 01:25:04 am »
I'm thinking the paci is a prop.  It didn't use to be, but this past week I've been so tired and I've been popping it in all the time.  I think he's starting to depend on it to drop off.  Although he always spits it out as soon as he's settled?  ???
I"m trying to find a link i saw earlier about transitioning to the 4 hour EASY and how it effects the sleep patterns if you aren't allowing enough A time.  I wish I would have bookmarked it!!