Author Topic: Is 9.5 hours sleep a night enough @ 5.5 months?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Is 9.5 hours sleep a night enough @ 5.5 months?
« on: January 14, 2014, 20:56:37 pm »
I have just looked at my LO's total sleep over the last couple of weeks and he is only getting an average of about 9.5 hours a night - from all i've read this is not enough and I wondered if there were any tweaks I could make to try and increase it?

This is today's EASY schedule;

Awake @ 05:45 (left in cot until 6:20 when he started crying)

E   06:30
A   2hr35
S   08:20 - 9:50 (1.5hr)

E   10:15
A   2hr35
S   12:25-2 (1.5hr)

E   2pm
A   2hr37
S   4:35-5:05

BT   06:30 / 7

Until this week, naps were a disaster, but I decided to change my tactics and abandon the cot for the time being and we have been taking all naps in car seat, at 2.5 A time and we are now on 1.5 + 1.5 + CN (30-45m).... and I have a MUCH better rested baby!

He is EBF and I have also started 'tanking up' feeds in the last week as my supply started dropping on 4 hour Easy and a lactation consultant advised me to offer feeds frequently throughout the day for a while, so there are additional smaller feeds to those listed above and bit of a cluster before bed (I was hoping this might help with NWs too - but it hasn't!)

He wakes at least twice a night and I feed him if it is at least 3.5hrs after he last woke/fed. I intend to try and wean one of these feeds, I just haven't been able to face it yet as on my 1st attempt he cried for 3 solid hours and it was miserable. 

He has been EW at 5:45am consistently for the last week and I guess this and the NWs are where we are losing a couple of hours of night sleep - I am wondering if we are still in residual OT from 2 months of horrible naps?

Is there anything obvious I can do please? TIA.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 21:14:56 pm by BusterB »

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Is 9.5 hours sleep a night enough @ 5.5 months?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 21:56:57 pm »
Hmmm...wondering if he is ready to drop the catnap and increase A times (if he is low sleep needs). Have a look at these averag A times. My DD3 is really low sleep needs, she does 11-12 h nights but only 3-4 h of naps in a day, her A times are up to 3 h most times.

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Also a lot of bf babies continue to need feeds at night for a lot longer as it is so highly digestible...3 hours of crying says to me he was probably hungry  :-\  oh and if he is more comfy in the carseat, could somethingnlike reflux be at play? Perhaps elevating one end of the crib would help.
Heidi

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 10:41:08 am »
Thanks so much for your reply MasynSpencerElliotte - I hadn't really thought about him having low sleep needs, but if he is only getting average of 9.5 hours and is as functional and generally happy as he is (apart from being extremely demanding in the couple of hours before bedtime  ::) ) then perhaps that is the case?

Last night was a disaster though... although we had done really well with naps yesterday and he'd had 3.5 hours day sleep, he was very cranky after his catnap - he is teething - and was giving me lots of tired signs, so having read lots online about how early bedtimes can cure all sorts of sleep issues, thought we'd give it a go.

BIG mistake.

He was asleep about 20/30 mins earlier than usual and went down without any trouble and woke at 11pm for a feed, going straight back to sleep. However there was a major cot party between 2:45am and 4:45am and then he only slept for 2x 45min between 5:40 and 7:15 - however the fact that he was so sleep deprived meant that he did go back to sleep after waking at 5:40am (admittedly it was in bed latched onto me - but even that hasn't been working with the recent 5:45am WUs)

The funny thing is, his total sleep for the night was exactly 9.5 hours!!  ??? So what is that telling me? Should I be committing the cardinal sin and moving his bedtime back instead? Would that mean he'd sleep a fraction longer in the morning? Even 6am would be fine - I just don't want what Tracy says about EWUs getting earlier and earlier to happen!!

I took your advice and pushed his first A this morning to 2hr 45m - so we will see what difference that makes to our day  :) If he does a good nap, I am hoping to push the next A too and try and avoid the CN to see how that works out. With our previous disastrous napping, he has missed the CN before and I don't remember it causing any major issues beyond the ones that already exist - he was just really cranky and i'm used to that in the evenings anyway.

He doesn't have any reflux issues though - I think he just likes the coziness of the carseat and the fact that I throw a blanket over it, so it is really dark. The bedroom has a blackout blind, but our window is a particularly sunny one so it's never totally dark. He seems to be very sensitive to light, even in the car when he is tired, he'll just stare out of the window but as soon as I throw a blanket over him, he's out like a light!

I agree that he probably needs to be fed at night and I have no real issues with the nightfeeding, as long as he is sleeping for decent chunks in between. The night I mentioned where I tried to resettle, had only been 2 hours from last feed, so I was fairly certain he was't hungry. The 3 hours crying started because he couldnt work out why he wasn't getting his normal treatment and then continued and ended up in hunger. Was horrible though because although I knew he was hungry after the first 2 hours, I had read what Tracy had said about once committing to resettling you need to make sure that you do not 'give in' - hence it taking 3 hours. Was really awful and not something i'm keen to do again in a hurry.

Thanks so much for your advice...will see how we go with the longer A  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:44:47 am by BusterB »

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 16:58:12 pm »
Fx the longer A time does the trick!
Heidi

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 20:15:34 pm »
Well thanks to the fact he slept until 7:15am this morning due to his late night cot party  :) we managed the longer A times without too much difficulty and there was no need for a catnap as the timings worked out pretty perfectly.

However, he was not at all tired at bedtime, even though the time was approx 2hr 45 from when he woke from nap 2  ::) it took him an extra 30/45 mins to fall asleep and he got pretty agitated lying awake in his cot - as this is very unusual for him.

Does this mean he was very overtired? (he was in an unusually great mood for the 2 hours before bed bizarrely!).... maybe needs a later BT? ..... or was he just adjusting to a new routine and I need to stick to it a couple of days to really see if we were right to drop to 2 naps so rapidly?

Obviously I don't know the effect on his night sleep yet - I guess that might tell me a bit more?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 20:20:53 pm by BusterB »

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 15:18:11 pm »
So thanks to the advice I got here, I think we're getting somewhere...

Last night there were 3 NW - 2 feeds (10:30 + 2:45) and 1 at midnight where he just vomited & needed a cuddle before going back to sleep :-[ but after the last NW between 2:45-3:25am he didn't wake up until almost 7am this morning!!  :D

This means he got 10 hours night sleep, which is def going the right way. However without the late bedtime and the lengthy NWs if he'd STTN this means he'd have been up at 5am, so I'm still confused about whether he is getting enough sleep? Or whether I should shift his bedtime slightly later?

Thanks to the 7am wake up, I have been able to follow the longer A times today too so will see what tonight brings.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 18:53:20 pm »
Sounds promising! What time was bedtime at? Fx for a good nap day.
Heidi

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:04:25 am »
We did indeed have a good nap day 1.5 + 2 hours in total, but last night was the worst I can remember.... he was awake for 4 hours, so a total of only 8 hours sleep overnight  :o

I have a couple of questions;

• Could the terrible night be down to the recent nap schedule change or is likely to be something like teething? We gave him some paracetamol after the first wake up at 9:30 as he was screaming and screaming and chewing like mad and it was escalating - but he only slept for 2 hours at a time after this and was then very awake when awake in the night and didn't respond to being fed like usual (ie going back to sleep!) He seemed very frustrated that he couldn't sleep! The reason i'm not 100% sure it was pain related is that there were quite long stretches he was just noisy and awake and not screaming - so that confused me
  • Should I adjust today's nap schedule as he is exhausted and revert back to much smaller A times today? He has been showing real tired signs since being awake 1.5 hours - should I put him down a 2 or 2.5 instead of pushing it? I think this risks a HUGE gap before bed though as there may not be enough A time for a catnap and then enough A before bed?! And I'm loathed to try another early BT as this was such a disaster the other day too..... so don't know what to do?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:13:34 am by BusterB »

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 15:04:16 pm »
Its hard to know sometimes whether it is routine or teething! We had 2.5 h of day sleep yesterday (5 months old) and went down for bed great and only woke for feeds. So if your lo is low sleep needs then it could affect the night. If he is showing tired signs I might try a change of scenery first - at that age boredom can look like tiredness too.
Heidi