Author Topic: Help with 5.5 month old twins  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 22:02:05 pm »
The colds won't be helping I think. Sounds like a bit of discomfort.

I know lots of mums top their LOs up with a quick feed before nap time to make sure hunger isn't an issue but having the E in the middle would work too. It can just get a bit confusing as you generally feed first  thing and it follows from there.  What do you think would work best?

Hugs. Hope you get a better night tonight xx

Offline Bestbees

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 08:38:33 am »
Well another pretty bad night.

Twin one slept from 6.45 til 10.30 which is great but then took two hours to settle
Twin two up at 9.30 and three hours to settle then both up and down all night.

Trying to get it so feeds are at beginning of A and only top up if one really shows they want it. Feel frustrated as I can't see what I am doing wrong! I guess I feed a lot at night and until I stop they won't stop waking but they cry and root and won't settle so I guess they are hungry!

Bb

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 11:11:55 am »
It could be they have developed a prop issue in that they don't know how else to get back to sleep without a feed YK?  This is a age where props become much more noticeable and it may be you do need to try settle the  without a feed if it hasn't been 3-4 since the last one consistently.

Are they still settling ok for naps and night in the cot?

Hugs x

Offline Bestbees

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 14:02:18 pm »
Shiv
I agree with the prop issue.

So last night I said I would only feed every three hours, and there was a lot of crying. Normally the settle independently with little fuss at bt, but they have had a feed recently, broken by book n song. Last night took fifteen mins of crying. There were various lots of crying in the night and it felt hard. But I think that how it was can't continue and hopefully they will learn fast? I sang and spoke softly and patted them in the cot until they slept. Twin one took an hour at one point. I picked up first to check for wind etc but too much up and down winds them up. Does this sound ok?

In the day they sleep in the buggy. I normally rock this but am weaning off. This morning I popped them in rocked til drowsy and they feel asleep on their own. Do you think it is a big problem and effecting night? I feel like if they get better sleep in the day it helps at night plus helps me get them to sleep at the same time more easily. My plan is to keep them sleeping in buggy until the summer when I will transition as I go back to work in September.

My plan is to keep going with the three hour feeding for a week at night and see how it goes, if things improve then stretch to three and a quarter. Found that they want to feed more in the day so easy has become eaeas a bit! But figure that's either whole point to get more in them in the day.

They woke at five thirty this morning :-\ and I fed and I hoped they would go back to sleep but no luck! They were happy n chatting though so I guess just ready for the day? When they woke they weren't crying so perhaps I should have just left them!

Thanks for all the help and reassurance!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 17:52:35 pm »
So last night I said I would only feed every three hours, and there was a lot of crying. Normally the settle independently with little fuss at bt, but they have had a feed recently, broken by book n song. Last night took fifteen mins of crying. There were various lots of crying in the night and it felt hard. But I think that how it was can't continue and hopefully they will learn fast? I sang and spoke softly and patted them in the cot until they slept. Twin one took an hour at one point. I picked up first to check for wind etc but too much up and down winds them up. Does this sound ok?

TBH that sounds like a pretty good start. Some babies are much more put out when you start to break props. I found picking either of mine up really irritated them and made them upset as they thought they were getting fed, then I'd put them back down.  I did find reassuring in the cot worked better overall. Well done you. That was a hard night but a great start xx

I agree to start with 3 hour feeds at nights then stretch once you are there.  And EAEA is fine in the day x

I hate to say it but the buggy naps may well be causing some of your issues at night as they are used to the motion of the buggy to get them to sleep. I totally get why you are doing it though. It may be worth though doing one nap a day in the cot to get them used to self settling a bit more. 

But what I'd do is keep days as you are and see how nights go over the next few days then re evaluate from there. How does that sound?   

Offline Bestbees

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 16:36:41 pm »
Thank you shiv the support is really appreciated. A lot of crying last night  :'( but we have committed and think it would be crueler to give up than to continue.

It is really hard for twin one to go more than 2.5 hours without a feed, he is scrabbling at my top by then! So waiting til that point and hoping he stretches slowly in the day. I agree about naps so will see how we are in a week and reevaluate. Today they fell asleep for a nap in the buggy themselves after  a little rock so hopefully that will help.

Twin one did first nap at only 45 mins, second at two hours and the other twin reversed it. So trying to appreciate the one to one time that this gave me. Dh has taken them out to see if they do a mini nap to stretch them too bed time. Definately in the three to two nap transition and they just need to take two longer naps. At the moment it's more like two cat naps and a decent one. Though I should I suppose go with their cues?

Thanks again for all the support. It really makes a difference!

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Help with 5.5 month old twins
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 19:00:09 pm »
Hey Bestbees,

It might not feel like it but that sounds great!! I know the nights are hard but it will probably take time and you won't see the process working until you get there.

At least yr getting a two hour nap, that's brilliant. I had that for a week and now back to 20/30 mins. So although your situation feels dire, they are able to transition through at least one sleep cycle. They just need to apply that to the night. It will click. Xx
Mummy to two gorgeous twin girls

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 22:52:23 pm »
Yes it could be they are starting to drop the CN. I much preferred when mine were on 2 naps. That pesky CN caused us a lot of trouble at 5-6 months.

When twin one is wanting to feed at 2.5 hours does he fall asleep feeding?  Do you think he's tired and wants to sleep and knows feeding will help him relax into sleep?

I would watch cues while still trying to stretch those A times. They will need help to stretch it but you are doing great. Did they take the catnap in the end?

Hugs xx

Offline Bestbees

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 12:48:15 pm »
Last few days have been a nightmare tbh.

Daytime is thirty min naps and crying and scrabbling for the breast about every. Hour. Nighttime lots of crying and waking after twenty mins. Twin two up from 2-5am.

Not sure that it is helping in anyway, feel like it is making it worse!