Author Topic: maximum amount of formula  (Read 1423 times)

Offline julz222

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 17, 2014, 15:25:13 pm »
My 6 month old is on a 4 hr easy, taking 8-9 oz at a time, usually getting 32-34 oz in day. Over past few nights he has woken up hungry and wont settle until I feed him. After 4 oz, he still seems hungry. Wondering if there is a max amount of formula in the day? 38 oz seems like a lot.
of note, we have recently started solids but he hasnt figured out how to swallow yet so doesnt get much in.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: maximum amount of formula
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 21:12:34 pm »
Sounds fine to me! There really isn't a maximum beyond which you don't go - if he is hungry feed him! Babies are good at self regulating and as he isn't eating food yet he does need the formula. It could well be that he is going through a growth spurt and the amount will tail off a bit again.

Laura

Offline PuppyLuf

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: maximum amount of formula
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 22:21:09 pm »
My little one is 6 weeks old and has 6 oz. every three hours (48 oz. a day)!  The doc said it was fine if that's what he wanted.  Porkchop seems to be moving up to 7 oz., soon, too, so goes to show that, as Lolly suggested, they self-regulate.  If he screams and drains his every bottle, he's wanting more.  If he leaves 1/2 an ounce or so in the bottle, he's good.