Author Topic: Thoughts/experience with fenugreek, blessed thistle, etc?  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: Thoughts/experience with fenugreek, blessed thistle, etc?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 02:49:32 am »
How about oats? Porridge/oatmeal? Also sunflower seeds, linseed meal and coconut. They're all good for your milk supply? I eat porridge every day with LSA (crushed linseed, sunflower,almond). My boobs are always full since doing this, I was recommended it on a breast feeding FB page. Other mothers noticed an increase in milk also :)
*Alice*

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 09:40:51 am »
Oh yeah, I forgot about oats.  They helped me too (but I didn't keep it up cos I'm not that big a porridge fan and there are only so many flapjacks you can eat!)

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 12:55:36 pm »
Lol me either but it's great for your milk! I buy the nicer oats -  organic brand. Soak in hot water for 5 mins, add oat milk and turn up the heat. I then add brown sugar. It's really creamy this way and tastes much nicer than just aiding water and regular milk :)
*Alice*

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 13:02:19 pm »
You can also use oats instead I'd breadcrumbs to cover chicken or fish and add oats to smoothies.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 18:49:15 pm »
I haven't tried a pumpathon yet...I wonder if it would matter what time of day you pump?  Is that a one-time thing or would you do it once a day for a few days in a row?

If you do it at the same time over a few days, thats the time you will start producing more milk. So I figure if you are trying to increase in general, do a pumpathon at each pumping session for a few days. Pump till nothing comes out, load the dishwasher, pump till nothing comes out, load the washing machine, pump till nothing comes out etc. At the end of each pumpathon I'd try hand express the last of the milk that the pump didn't get.
My friend pumped for 3 kids and managed to feed EBM till they all reached 1y by doing this. It was the only way she could increase supply and keep up with GS.

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 16:25:07 pm »
I had a supply dip at 9months with my older son. I took fenugreek tablets (yeah, smelled sweet) which really helped. I also (from fab advice on here) ate porridge every day and that made a big old difference. Made with rolled oats, milk, drop of  vanilla essence, g cinnamon, sugar and fresh berries (blueberries work well). Worked a treat at boosting supply -as did extra pumping.

Lotta x

Offline didiosa1980

• First time mommy
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 18:04:08 pm »
I found this and have been doing 200 ml of oats every morning: http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal   I actually upped it to 300 ml, hoping the extra 100 ml would help production. Great for breakfast on the go!

I also increased the amount of fenugreek I take to 2 pills every meal. Breakfast, 2 breaks, lunch, dinner, and before bedtime for the overnight. (No the back end hasn't been an issue despite that being the side effect.) I assume the extra have helped?

I also added more protein food sources to the diet and made sure I have tea along with my coffee for the 8 hours I'm gone from baby.

I've also tried to give baby some more time per side to help supply, since he's the best source of uptake there is.

I tried looking up Goats Rue, but it doesn't exist at my Whole Foods (shocking!), so I'm sticking with the fenugreek for now. I stopped taking the Mother's Milk tea because A: it's expensive and B: I took it in the beginning where I wasn't seeing any immediate results.  :'(

I was one of those 'wait two weeks to see results' type person. Thankfully, with all these things, my supply has gone back up to cover LO's feeds. I am still trying to get some of my frozen back, but...one thing at a time. ^_^;

Offline eva026

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 19:00:09 pm »
Great news:))

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 21:00:35 pm »
Sounds good
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline roseola

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 14:20:57 pm »
I just  started taking fenugreek and blended thistle about 5 days ago and I definitely notice an increase. This link has some good info: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21:herbal-remedies-for-milk-supply&catid=5:information&Itemid=17

Good luck!
Nini

Offline didiosa1980

• First time mommy
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 15:22:13 pm »
 :-* :-* I've seen the blessed thistle in the store. Currently taking about 8 tablets of the fenugreek. Maybe I'll add the BT to it and see how it goes.