Author Topic: How Long to go between feeds  (Read 1167 times)

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 18, 2014, 21:17:00 pm »
My dd is 5 weeks old and doing great at night.  She will go 6 to 8.5 hours between feeds and on average it is 7 hours. During feeds, I generally feed on one breast only because she is a fast eater (between 7.5 to 10 minutes).  Therefore, it could be closer to 9 hours when one breast hasn't been fed from.  Lately, I wake up before she does and I have to pump because it is sore.

Has there been any studies done to show that you shouldn't go that long without pumping with a newborn or could it affect my milk supply?

A different question...one breast always gets more sore and seems to be harder (fills with milk faster) than the other although I don't necessarily think that breast is producing more because dd seems (and same with my son) to feed longer on the breast that seems to get full (and sore) quicker.  The same breast also seems to be prone to clogged ducts.  Anyone else have this happen to them or know why it's like that?  Can clogged ducts be prevented?

Thanks!!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: How Long to go between feeds
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 21:32:57 pm »
DD3 started sttn 12 hours at 4 weeks old (until the 4 month growth spurt ;)) and it did not affect my supply at all...took a good week for my boobs to get the message and stop being so full all night but they did eventually.

As for one being fuller etc my kids all preferred to feed from the right so that one was always fuller as it was demanded more! No experience on clogged ducts personally but hopefully this will have a bit of info until someone with experience chimes in:
 Mastitis/Plugged Ducts
Heidi

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 18:10:36 pm »
Wow, that is amazing dd3 went 12 hours!  Do you think you did anything in particular to encourage that or it was just her personality?  Good to know 12 hours didn't affect your supply.  I thought I read/heard somewhere that if you go too long between feeds it can affect your supply but I could be wrong.  I've got a call into the Lactation Consultant and will let you know what she thinks about it.  Thanks for the info on clogged ducts!

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 18:31:59 pm »
I did nothing to encourage it, she just slept through...but she wakes for 1-2 feeds since her last growth spurt...I am guessing with all her activity in the day (trying to crawl) she burns more calories and needs more as she will not settle without a feed.

I have had oversupply all 3 times I bf so I imatine that is why my supply did not take a hit...I started lactating when 6 months pregnant with DD1 and my milk did not fully dry up until about a year after weaning DD2 (and I stopped bf DD1 before getting pregnant the second time).

Interested to hear the LC's info on it!
Heidi

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 17:54:37 pm »
I talked to the lactation consultant and when I asked if going 7 plus hours between feeds could affect my supply she said "it definitely could affect your supply".  When I further explained she was gaining weight well, seemed content after feeds and still feeding 7 to 8 times a day, she didn't seem concerned.  I also explained how one breast always felt fuller than the other and how I wake up at night and it really hurts.  She said it sounded like an oversupply.  She said pump or breastfeed for comfort since it didn't seem like my supply was getting affected for going so long between feeds.  She also made a comment that in a few weeks the hormones will calm down and I won't have that really full feeling as much.

As for clogged ducts, I guess they are more common when there is an oversupply.  I asked how to avoid them and she said feed or pump when they hurt, don't wear wire bras or anything that puts pressure on the breast.  Even sleeping on your stomach can do it.

Soooo, I will continue to do what I am doing and pumping at night when it feels really uncomfortable.  Coinsidentally, dd went 8.5 hours last night between feeds and it was the first time I didn't have to pump before she got up when sleeping for that long.  Maybe my supply is finally getting the idea :-)

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 18:39:00 pm »
Hopefully so! Huh never thought of stomach sleeping having an impact! I knew about underwire...but I usually live in nursing tanks anyways!
Heidi