Author Topic: Right time to drop a nightfeed?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Right time to drop a nightfeed?
« on: January 19, 2014, 10:28:16 am »
Last night my little boy (who will be 6 months in about 10 days) surprised me by dropping his normal MOTN feed - this means he went 8 hours between feeds, which he has not done for months! He normally wakes 2 or 3 times and I feed him back to sleep....

I am now not sure whether I should try and capitalise on this, as he obviously coped very well without feeding in the night and use this as a cue to wean him from one of his feeds if he wakes for it tonight? Or do I just take my lead from him and feed him as normal if he wakes tonight?

I find it VERY hard to actually work out if he is hungry in the night so usually opt for a timed approach (>3.5 hours) but him going 8 hours makes me think I may have just created some feeding habits!  :)

Out if interest, is it best to drop a 10/11pm feed or a 2/3/4am feed first?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:33:13 am by BusterB »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Right time to drop a nightfeed?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 21:58:08 pm »
I would see how he goes. One night of sleeping through doesn't necessarily mean he will never need a feed within that 8hrs again.

I would work on independent sleep during the day first to see if that helps.

When you do cut a feed I would try to make it the later one so perhaps you can have the 10-11 feed before you go to sleep and then you can get a decent stretch yourself.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline BusterB

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Right time to drop a nightfeed?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 07:24:22 am »
ok *Ali* thanks - good advice! He woke at 2am and I fed him and he took a full feed so was probably hungry... so will bide my time...