Author Topic: Increase amount given in bottles, start cereal, or both?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline lhurley168

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Increase amount given in bottles, start cereal, or both?
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:21:50 am »
My ds is going to be 4 months old next week. He is breastfed and given bottles of ebm. We do not have a routine as to when he gets bottles or breast, it's more to with what's convenient at the time. At 3 mos I tried switching from nursing to exclusively doing ebm bottles, however my supply took a nose dive. After talking with a lactation consultant she said that the 6oz I was giving him was too much. She said at that age babies do not regulate and will eat whatever amount you give them because of their need to suck. Going with that I cut back to 5oz. My ds started to get irritable and was polishing off bottles even quicker. At that point due to my decreasing supply I switched back to nursing and shortly after felt it was back to where it should be.  I now feel like I've got a good supply again and have increased bottles back to 6oz. When I do give him bottles he finishes the 6oz in around 5 mins. I've started to notice whether I bf or bottle feed he's not even making 3 hrs between feeds and I've slowly been trying to get him to 4 hrs (he's totally going backwards). He's also waking at night and not falling asleep like he used to during eating. Should I increase his bottles to 7 or even 8oz? He was 9lbs as a newborn and now is around 16 1/4 lbs. I am also thinking of starting rice cereal after his first morning feed. He's showing all the signs he's ready. What would be best to do? Increase the amount of milk at his feedings or start him on cereal, or both?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Increase amount given in bottles, start cereal, or both?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:14:02 am »
I would offer more milk at feedings, if he is draining bottles then he needs more in them. He sounds like he is going through the 4 month growth spurt which many people think means they are ready for cereal but they really aren't! It can last a few weeks, especially with a breastfed/ EBM baby.

Is he sitting unaided and showing interest in food? Does he still have the tongue thrust reflex? If he's not sitting and has the reflex still then he's not ready for solids. The health recs now are not to start solids until 6 months and to start with food not rice cereal. Rice is very constipating and really offers very little in the way of nutrition and won't help night sleep. Food until 1 is just for fun - milk needs to be their main source of nutrition until then!

Laura

Offline lhurley168

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Increase amount given in bottles, start cereal, or both?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 15:40:37 pm »
Hi! Thanks for your reply. DS can sit with a supported back rest such as on the couch/recliner chair or his high chair. He is not a freestanding sitter. I've tested the tongue thrust reflex by giving him ebm on a spoon and he's swallowing without sticking his tongue out. He also seems entertained and smiles. As far as adding more milk, I gave him 8oz last night and he drank the whole thing. He slowed down around 7 oz but still finished it off in about 10 minutes. I'm using med flow nipples and have since around 2 months. I have a fast flow myself and seemed upset with slow flow bottles. Since 8oz went down pretty easy last night do I give him 9oz? He took 8 at 6:45 and was up again at 11:30 for another feeding. I tried to console with the paci but he screamed louder and was livid. When I nursed him he took a full feeding and did not fall asleep. After he's done eating during his nf's he immediately wants/takes a paci. Could that be because he's got room in his tummy for more? I can very much tell he's hit the growth spurt.