Author Topic: Baby not gaining weight. Supplementing now. Confused.  (Read 1248 times)

Offline :: ANA ::

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Previously n&a's mommy
Baby not gaining weight. Supplementing now. Confused.
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:44:23 am »
DD was EBF for her first month of life.  At her 10 day check-up she had gained 200gr, which seemed ok.  For her 1-month check-up she hadn't gained any weight so the doctor prescribed supplementing with formula, 2oz at each feed, after BF, for two weeks and then a weight check-up.

I'm feeling very worried, anxious and guilty, first because I let my tiny baby go hungry for at least 3 weeks  :'(; she was sleeping a lot and I thought that if she were hungry she would be crying, yk? I woke her up every 3 hours and fed her and that was it.

Second, because I don't know how this supplementing will affect my breastmilk production.  I was sooo very proud that she was having "enough", I guess I'm still carrying some guilt from not being able to EBF DS, I thought this time I would get it right (I suppose this is a post for another board...) I don't know if I can still hope for EBF after this two weeks of supplementing (assuming she gains the expected weight for her next appointment).

Third, because the doctor said it wasn't "normal" that, at 1 month old, I still had to wake her for feedings, that she should be "asking" (showing hunger cues) loud and clear, iykwim...but the thing is, she is still sleeping  A LOT.  When she's awake she's very alert, but then every time she doesn't wake on her own "on time" for a feed, I worry something might be wrong.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:46:14 am by n&a's mommy »
Ana

Offline Bestbees

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Baby not gaining weight. Supplementing now. Confused.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 13:21:29 pm »
Hi
I have baby twins who I breastfeed. They had slow weight gain and I suppliement with one bottle a day. Sleepiness can be a sign of not getting enough to eat, one of my babies had jaundice and was v sleepy. So, I totally understand the feelings. I think that persevering is key here. They both have jumped from being under the percentiles to the second. I think that most babies get there in their own sweet time. Check out dr jay Gordon's article 'look at the baby not the scale' for reassurance.

What do you want? If you want to move to exclusive breastfeeding it almost certainly can be done, check out Kelly mom website for how to wean off supplements. The problem with your current method is that it is telling your body that it doesn't  need the milk that you are giving as formula. A much better strategy your dr should have recommended is feeding more frequently along with breast compression and massage, or giving one full extra feed. It is particularly problematic to supplement before six to eight weeks as your supply is still working itself out. I can give you more information on these if you want.

I think that if the dr is concerned then insist you get referred to a paed to see if there are any reasons why your little one is not gaining, I.e. Tongue tie.

So I guess what I am saying is yes supplementing will have a detrimental effect on your supply, but it is not permenant.

Hope that helps a little.

B xx

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 13:55:35 pm »
Here is the article bestbees referred to: http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/newborns/scales.html

(Thanks btw was a great read - we have a tiny peanut of a girl and get so many comments!).

As for the rest I think Bestbees covered it and I agree totally with what she has said. 

Heidi

Offline Bestbees

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 16:13:08 pm »
Thank you! I just trained as breast feeding peer support and learnt so much! Shame that some, but not all, of the bw doesn't quite stand up to more recent research!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 16:35:39 pm »
Thank you! I just trained as breast feeding peer support and learnt so much! Shame that some, but not all, of the bw doesn't quite stand up to more recent research!

I am certain if Tracy were still alive that it would have been revised :)
Heidi

Offline Beara

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 23:12:08 pm »
Hi Ana.  I've been in the position you   are and I just wanted to empathize.  It's such a worry.  MyDS was slow to gain weight and I was so confused about all the conflicting advice.
 I chose not to supplement at the time but if I was in the same position again I'm not sure what I'd do. either way is tough.  It seems like the other replies are providing good advice.  Hope it eases your anxiety.  (Fortunately my one month old is gaining steadily and it makes those check ups easier.) My DS is now 3 and has never been a good eater and is on the 9th centile since he was 9 months old.  So in hindsight he was probably never going to maintain his above average weight centile.  He's always been healthy and met all norms. 
Best of luck.