Author Topic: Having to know how much he takes. EBF baby.  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
Having to know how much he takes. EBF baby.
« on: January 22, 2014, 20:10:30 pm »
HV comes in every week and we have one to two hospital appointments per week (weighing, checking reflexes, bloods, and how much he takes). Baby Joey has hypothyroidism  due to absence of a thyroid.

If not monitored correctly, it will lead to severe mental disability, stunted growth, coarse facial features, depression and weight issues.

I do pump, the amount is so different. Sometimes 1oz, sometimes 8  :o

When being fed EBM from a bottle, he takes 4oz (125 ml) and is then satisfied, alert, and ready to go to sleep after an hour of A-time. Does that mean he has roughly that from the breast?

He does seem to be satisfied quicker and for longer from  a bottle with EBM though.

Thanks for your ideas :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Having to know how much he takes. EBF baby.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 20:37:23 pm »
I suppose the only way the really and truly know is to invest in a really good scale and weigh before and after a feed. The yield from pumping cant really tell you how much baby is getting as they are way more efficient.
Heidi

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 20:51:49 pm »
I thought baby was more efficient, too, but I usually pump 4-8oz in one session and if he takes that from a bottle of EBM, he is way more satisfied than from the boob?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 21:14:26 pm »
Oh forgot to add...way less work to get milk from a bottle than boob...what type of bottle do you use?
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 21:18:11 pm »
So do you need to know exactly what he is taking each day or just that he is satisfied?

You would need a really accurate scale and to take account of urine in the happy etc.

3-4oz sounds about what mine would have taken in the early weeks. 25oz is the average amount a baby takes from 1mo but anything from 19-32oz is within the normal range.

It is possible he takes more from the bottle because he takes it in more quickly without working for it and thus he has drunk more before the brain gets the message that he is full.

Baby is generally more efficient but some mamas are able to pump really effectively as well.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011