Author Topic: Tantrums at meal times  (Read 2244 times)

Offline petram

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: January 24, 2014, 21:14:39 pm »
Hello all not sure if this is the right place to post, am looking for some advise on handling my 2.5 yr old son.
He has a great appetite and eats most food I give him. From very young we have always eaten together as a family, firstly with him in his high chair, then a booster and now he sits a normal chair.
Our problem is he has terrible tantrums, mostly occurring around meal times. We're not sure what causes them or why and no 2 days are the same. We figured at first it was because he wanted more control and independence so we started letting him choose from 2 cereals or letting him get his plate/cup etc out the cupboard, or letting him choose which chair he's going to sit in. He also stands on his step and 'helps' butter his toast etc everything we can think of to give him control.
However, despite all of this the tantrums persist 3 months on. For example, he chooses his chair but once we're all sat down he decides he wants to sit somewhere else ( we don't give in so the tantrum starts) or he says no to both cereal and when we move away from him he'll start, or when we say get a bowl out for breakfast he'll get something completely inappropriate like a dinner plate or decides he wants the bowl his sister has got etc.
We have decided to tackle this by putting him on the step and ignoring him till he stops, he then may come and start the choice again but something else will upset him and hes  off again!
Although i say we ignore him I'm sure we don't do it 100% of the time and sometimes time is against us and we don't have time to ride it out.
What do you think is the problem, what are we doing wrong?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Tantrums at meal times
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 21:39:22 pm »
Is he perhaps just too hungry by the time it gets to a meal to handle anything further?

My DS is not hungry..and then he is ravenous! There is no in between. Tonight while dinner was cooking I cut him some cucumber, pepper and tomato and that got us through. Otherwise, with it being a long week, we would have had a meltdown.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 22:40:51 pm »
Sounds to me like too hungry, too tired, or too much choice.
It's nice to start giving kids more choice and say over things but they can also find it very hard to make decisions and feel a sense that they may pick the wrong one and regret it, so it can be a cause of stress.  Once the stress is there it's so easy to tip over into a tantrum.  He might like being asked initially but not yet be mature enough to manage the responsibility of the decision making. If it was me I'd look at any sleep issues, make sure meals times are suiting him (so many people say their kids don't eat if the meal comes too late) and stop offering choices or at least reduce it. So buttering his toast is fine but don't ask too many choice questions overall.

When he's having a tantrum I would (if you possibly can) sit down on the floor with him, offer a cuddle if he is willing/ready, and see if you can voice his upset. Acknowledging that he REALLY wants this dinner plate instead of a cereal bowl means he is heard, it doesn't mean you have to let him have the plate but at the time of the tantrum try not to explain why he can't have and focus on what he is trying to communicate. I've found tantrums relatively short lived if I can voice what my DS is trying to say.

Offline petram

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:09:15 am »
Thanks ladies for your advise.

Tiredness is definitely an issue some days, we are slowly heading towards dropping the midday nap (he skips it about every 3rd day) making the evening and the following morning emotional to say the least. When being tired is the problem we don't give in still do we (eg we don't swap seats half way thru dinner, or give him the bowl his sister has got)?

As regards limiting his choices, if I for example let him choose his bowl but then chose his cereal for him and made it he would have a tantrum and probably not eat it, or if I placed his food at a place at the table he wouldn't sit there he would say he wants 'there'.
Is he doing this just because he knows he can, have we lost control and need to reign it back in?
It's worth saying that generally through the rest of the day things are ok we don't have issues with anything else, also, once he's made his choice we stick it so we are not giving into his demands constantly, (eg once hes sat in his chair we don't swap around)

Offline petram

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:26:58 am »
I will definitely give voicing his frustration or feelings ago instead of telling him he can't do something. If I do that for a few minutes and he continues what do I do, stay with him longer or leave him?

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 11:08:02 am »
We had problems recently with tantrums and tiredness and I had advice here to remember that you can't teach them when they're really tired. If he needs to eat and go to bed ASAP then do whatever you need to do to help him get there. Maybe then the next time he slips a nap go for an earlier dinner time so he's less tired. You can always talk to him about reducing the choices and once he's made them to stick with it when he's less tired. Then i would say yes you probably new to stick with it to help him learn. If you get a tantrum then do as creations has advised and acknowledge what he wants without necessarily giving in iyswim.

Hugs - these tantrums and hard xx
~ Naomi ~

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 11:37:50 am »
Well, I am fortunate in that mostly I am available and don't absolutely *have to* get out of the house on time so in this situation I would sit with DS as long as needed until he could return to his meal but when you have another child to get out to school or need to get to work etc etc then obviously there is only so much time you can allocate.
There's a fine balance in giving choices IMO because LOs do tend to get so little choice over their lives and if we give them choices where possible they can prove to be more cooperative when we need them to be, but as I said before too much choice and they can feel lost like they need someone to show them the way...and for every child at every age and stage the balance is going to be different.
On the whole I find being sympathetic to their frustrations and upsets (caused by tiredness hunger or whatever) gets over the problem much faster, although the aim should really be on listening to their complaint rather than speeding up the tantrum iyswim.
I think I would talk to him when it is not meal time (out of the moment before any problem arises) and tell him you've noticed that he is frequently upset at meal times and you'd like to help make meals happier , that you feel he has too many choices and that this is causing him some upset so from now on you'll help him by making some of those choices for him.  I personally wouldn't put up with moving places every meal time but it's a personal family thing and you need to decide which aspects of the routine you are not happy with and change those, pick your battles. On some things I try to accommodate DS when he changes his mind because adults also change their minds on things, but it needs to be reasonable and not lead to another change and another change iyswim. so there is no fixed rule on what things you should or shouldn't give choice over but for instance you could do one of these:
- out of the moment ask him where he prefers to sit, tell him this is his opportunity to choose, now, and not at meal time, tell him after this choice you will not accommodate any more changes for a week/month (so he can choose once per week and that's it, not every meal, once his choice is made for that week say 'are you sure? this is the time to change your mind, you can only change your mind now and not later' then that's it, the rest of the week you 'hear him that he wants to move and he will have a chance to change his seat at the end of the week and not before'
or
- before the meal tell him to choose his seat. Then just before bringing the food out tell him now is his last chance to change his mind and once the food is at the table and other diners have sat down it is too late and no changes will be made.  This example allows a lot more control for him but might also lead to more stress for him if he is finding decision making stressful.

If he has a tantrum and doesn't eat a meal I'd just let him go without for a meal or two - and it's ok to sympathise with him being hungry too.  If you can get a word in during the tantrum as well as hearing him you could also tell him, we will run out of time for this meal, I don't want you to be hungry but we have to finish at x oclock because we have to get to school, there isn't another meal until snack at such oclock (whatever the normal routine is).

I can also remember a short phase of my DS wanting lots of choice and not being mature enough to handle it.  Worth mentioning too that he's at the half year development leap stage so a lot of things can go 'off' for a while then come back on track.

it's worth giving him some food to pick at as soon as you cna too like MJ&N said. There's no way I'd allow mine to go so far as regularly walking around the house nibbling on titbits and not having his main meal but I've often given little bits before the meal knowing if I didn't he'd go past his ability to hang on to his mood and would fail the entire meal.

Offline petram

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 09:13:41 am »
I think we are very guilty of trying to reason with him when he's tired, and your right it doesn't work and looking back it sometimes makes things worse.

He did take his nap yesterday so he wasn't tired but we had dinner at 5.15 instead of 5.30 anyway (when my husband usually gets in) and he chose his plate and his seat and there was no problems, I know it's only the first day but I wonder if he is too hungry like you said and 15minutes can make a big difference.
So either he needs a little something to keep him going or we need to eat just that little bit earlier.

Wow I can't believe I didn't think of any of these things myself!!!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 13:34:33 pm »
Wow I can't believe I didn't think of any of these things myself!!!
That's why I love these forums!  There are so many things I don't think of myself and then someone else spots it.  Sometimes maybe just easier to have ideas when you're not wrapped up in the situation?  I've had so much help here - it's amazing!

Sounds like a slightly earlier dinner is the answer, although it's a shame to miss out on daddy being there for a full family meal. Could even be that daddy arriving home adds to the excitement and it's a further transition to cope with amongst hunger, tiredness etc.  Could all just be too much in one go.