Author Topic: do you (and how often) let your los eat takeaways?  (Read 7457 times)

Offline Aishi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 105
do you (and how often) let your los eat takeaways?
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:55:37 am »
Ds is 3y7mo and dd is 2yo....would you let them have mcdonalds, dixys, kfc etc??? or is that a big no no   :o :o

I let them have dixys (chicken wings and chips) or mcdonalds (fish burger) once a month as a treat...but dh thinks its ok for once a week  :-\ if i allow it (lol) it would mean dh takes both kids out sat morning after breakfast and brings back after lunch...thats three hours of me time  ;D but i dont want to do it if its really unhealthy...

Wdyt ladies?

Tia xx
aishi :)

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
Re: do you (and how often) let your los eat takeaways?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 12:38:02 pm »
I am quite relaxed with eating, and I don't think it is very unhealthy, tbh. Once a week is quite often, but it is not every day, and if they have a generally healthy eating it won't impact too much, at least this is what i think. And your kids will remember this daddy's time also because they were allowed to eat something different that was a treat for them. And the social part of eating, according to me, is somehow even more important than eating, as it helps to create a good feeling about eating, that is in our society, also a social experience. I would try to vary the place, if possible, so not every week in McDonalds.
Barbara

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 12:38:45 pm »
My LO is 20 months and although we don't do takeaway lots he's had a couple of mac dees....I think if I were u I'd compromise and do fortnightly then u get a nice long morning to yourself ;-) 

Plus mac dees u can have fruit instead of fries x
Zoe

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 12:55:32 pm »
For me once a week would be too much, but we do allow a Maccy Ds or more often a pizza take away every so often, and occasionally a Chinese but they prefer the former. I never had anything like that as a child so maybe that's why I allow it lol! I think I'd be v tempted to let my DH take them out every Sat morning for 3 hours tho :P
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 12:59:17 pm »
My dh is the same!  Although if he took them out for 3 hours and left me at home they can eat anything they want!  I try and do McDonalds maybe once a month and we probably have Dominoes once a month.  If dh had them more often then I'm sure it'd be a lot more than that! 

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 13:07:20 pm »
Personally for me that is too much, but it has to be right for you. I can understand the allure of 3 hours me time, if you are concerned could he take them to a 'healthier' eating place. Near us we have a couple of restaurants that have really good value children's menus which are nice and healthy (noodles and veggies etc or wraps with chicken and salad), but they can also have side orders like chips if they want.

Nice thought of DH though :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline Aishi

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 13:26:04 pm »
Thanks ladies for your input! my inclination is that its too much but im tempted by the free time lol. I think once a fortnight could be a compromise i can.live with. They have a healthy varied diet and chocolate only once a week so i dont think its too bad...

We struggle for places to eat out in cos ds is very fussy and the meat has to be halal so were a bit limited there....

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 13:45:41 pm »
We don't get takeaways/delivery/fast food for meals through the week, about once a month DH and I will order in Chinese or pizza for us after DS has gone to bed (DS wouldn't touch it anyway!) and for meals I don't buy frozen foods or things like chicken nuggets for meals, I make them homemade for him when we are having them.  So fast food like McDonald's is reserved for times when we are out and plan to be home for lunch but then something goes wrong or plans change last minute and DS starts moaning that he is hungry and anything else would be ages.  So maybe once every 2-3 months? Or it might end up being twice in a 3-week period but then would not happen again for 4 months...kwim?   But tbh DS doesn't really like McDonald's that much, he begs to go but it's because he wants the toy from the happy meal.  ::)   He will only eat nuggets, not burgers, and if he eats two full chicken nuggets then I have to say that DH and I are very happy.  Maybe 10 french fries and he always chooses a bottle of organic milk for his drink.

BUT my DH does love to go to McDonald's for breakfast, DS has always eaten by the time he/we get there and so he has pancakes and milk.  Or a toasted English muffin with jam. 

My DH takes DS out regularly on a weekend morning (usually swimming) to give me some time -- usually it is time to clean the house or it is when I am getting groceries and they don't want to come, but it is also good for them to have time alone and not have me there nagging about everything.  And he almost always stops at Subway for lunch on the way home. It's part of their thing, DS loves it (doesn't eat much of his sandwich, he is SO fussy) but he loves the ritual and routine of it, the time spent together, the fun they have, the fact that he feels they are doing something really special and a big sneaky, because if I was with them and DH asked if I wanted to stop at subway I would say no, insist that we either go to a real restaurant or go home and not spend the money....so they only get to do this because they are alone, kwim, and it is all really a bonding thing for the two of them.  If it was McDonald's and not Subway and it was EVERY week I would ask DH to try to find some alternatives for now and again but I'd also leave it to him to make the final decision....but I do also know that my DH would take that on board what I have said.

My DH does also always take a lunch box when he goes out with DS.  It's habit, we try to take one any time we are going out at all (to avoid random stops for lunch when we don't want to!) with cut up fruit, a banana, a sandwich, crackers, carrot sticks, tomatoes, etc etc. 

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 14:15:00 pm »
Does your DS like pizza? As your dh can alternate pizza, some places where he can have a toast or sandwich, and mc donalds. It has not to be every week mc donalds. I don't know, my perception of food is a little different (maybe because I'm from a country in which enjoying eating is very important ;) ) and I remember that when I was a child (older, but maybe 6 or so) it was very common for families going out on Sat night and have pizza every Saturday. It was a great way to bond and to have family time. And, while I am not a fan of mcdonalds myself (I have to say that we brought ds to mc donalds maybe twice in his life, just because we are not used to it) for me pizza is actually healthier, if compared to mc donalds, and we eat it quite often. If your ds likes it it can be a good alternative.
Barbara

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 15:45:45 pm »
We have never taken DS to McDonalds! I don't eat there, haven't for many years - part of it is that they don't cater for veggies. The other part is that I think they try too hard to emphasize their 'healthiness' or 'goodness' in their ads, I just don't buy it. Protesting too hard and all that.

Our going out treat is generally pizza, but if your DH wants to take them out why not a nice cafe for tea and buns?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 15:55:28 pm »
The only fast food we have here is Subway, which we have once every week or so because it is owned by family so we get a discount...otherwise we really cant afford eating out so maybe once a month after gymmastics (in another town which actually has McD's, A & W, & DQ) we get fast food for supper.  But if we coupd afford it and it meant time to myself I would so pack them off with dh every week! Growing up we did "junk food" saturdays - not fast food per se but unhealthy at any rate - the rest of the week was home cooked meals and fruit/veg for snacks so it balanced out.
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 17:57:51 pm »
Never taken DS to Mc Ds or KFC and I don't know what dixys is.
For me once per week at Mc Ds would be way too much, it's habit setting and I wouldn't want that.  However we do let DS eat out and have done since young, he ate roast dinner in a restaurant at about 6 months (where I took salt free steamed veggies for him then added a little of what the restaurant served to his plate).  We sometimes have a Chinese or Indian take away to eat at home and DS will have some, and we have been to various restaurants and cafes, I order whatever the healthiest thing is, which is sometimes only crumpet and butter but oh well.  I'll also buy him something fresh from the bakery now and again a cheese and onion pasty or a cheese twist or a share and tear or something.  He's also had sausage rolls from the bakery which I'm sure are not very healthy but all of these things don't add up to once per week.
Like pps I agree the bonding time is well worth it - just wonder if there are any cafes or bakery where DH can take them rather than McD every week?
My DS absolutely loves eating out even if it's a sandwich in the supermarket cafe!

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 18:17:22 pm »
As a family we have pizza once a month and KFC once a month, DD1 might get Mc D's once every 2 months, DD2 less then that. We do a subway lunch maybe 2x a month but more like once a month. With my girls food allergies take out and ordering in isn't the best or safest choice. Plus DD2 doesn't like processed  food; 90% of what she eats is homemade so things like "heat up at home" chicken nuggets and French fries she wont touch. Restaurants are maybe 2x a year if that.
Dh and I eat way too much fast food/take outs but thats after the girls are in bed asleep and another topic ::)

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 18:34:47 pm »
We eat KFC or Mc D or pizza or other takeaways (most common here are pierogi LOL) maybe 8-10 times a year.
Not habit-forming here. All the kids care about really is the toy. They don't crave the food at all - crave a home roast much more! Or wraps with homemade guacamole, onions, peppers, tomatoes, coriander, sour cream and chicken! These are their fave foods.
Main reason we eat fastfood is when we are way late coming home because of work/weather/afterschool activities that have caused us to run way late without expecting it. Its never really a "planned" treat but it does end up being probably more often than I would like it to be - around once every 6 weeks during term time plus once or twice over all the school hols together while travelling or such. So yep, 8-10 times it is. Seems a lot when I look at it this way but

DH and Ozi do coffee/hot choc in the mornings before footie on a Sat - its their bonding time.

I would say once a week is a lot....but once a week me time seems really nice!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 18:42:35 pm »
Not habit-forming here. All the kids care about really is the toy.

Same here!!  The toy is the only reason he wants to go.

We have travelled a lot in the past 18 months -- 3 trips of 3000+kms through 4 or more countries in Europe and there are times when we get off of the highway and go into a city for a restaurant and there are times when we pull over for fast food, or times when we have grabbed whatever is for sale in the petrol station. Sometimes you just do what you do.  If we are in a nice restaurant it doesn't guarantee DS will eat anything healthier anyway ::) and he would rather eat at home.

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 18:47:20 pm »
If we are in a nice restaurant it doesn't guarantee DS will eat anything healthier anyway  and he would rather eat at home.
same here...they prefer their daddy's food any day of the week!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Aishi

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 19:04:45 pm »
Hmm thats interesting. I was under the impression from irl ppl that im too strict with letting kids eat out regularly and/ or giving them chocolate and crisps..but seems most ppl here are the same ;)

I wouldnt mind them eating out in restaurants and other healthier places but ds is really fussy. He doesnt eat pizza ::) ::) sandwiches, soups, wraps etc. He will eat fish burgers, chicken wings and vegetable pasties (greggs) oh and curries of course. But i make curry at home every day so it seems pointless eating that outside...

I like the fact that its bonding time for dh and the kids where he cant put the tv on! lol but i do think that once a.week is way too muchand whereas it prob wouldnt be routine for a lot of kids it would with ds! hes a stickler for routine and he doesnt like changes so once a habits formed its really hard to break (hence st was a nightmare!!)

Im going to have to think of places where they can go eat. dh would have to like it too...he loves his food and is also very fussy! dd is like me, will pretty much eat anything when hungry lol

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 19:13:34 pm »
We eat out a fair bit and have takeaways. I probably wouldn't have that much of an issue with it to be honest. The vast majority of food we eat is herby but we probably have a less healthy lunch/dinner once a week I'd say (could just be pizza from supermarket or sausage and chips on rushed nights ::) ). I can see why a dad think McDonalds is easy to take their kids to- you see plenty of solo dads in there at weekends- no waiting around, inexpensive, informal atmosphere, the toy! I'd probably encourage him to mix it up though. C loves going to a cafe for sandwiches and hot chocolate. We haven't eaten out as much in the last few months since we had G but C loves restaurants and we've always happily taken her to gastro pubs, finer restaurants and places like zizzi and pizza express, Nandos etc. I am very laidback about her eating but that's because she is a really good eater and loves healthy foods so we've never had a worry about her being fussy, she loves cheeseburgers so has enjoyed Maccy Dees but equally loves homemade ones or ones from the farm shop cafe.

I'd be snapping your DH's hand off for the Y time but I'd probably see if there are any other options too! Xxx

*Nicola*

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 18:11:19 pm »
I was under the impression from irl ppl that im too strict with letting kids eat out regularly and/ or giving them chocolate and crisps..but seems most ppl here are the same
IRL mums are amazed DS doesn’t eat sweets, chocolate or crisps regularly, he doesn't even know what a pack of sweets is but then I don't hold him back if we go out to a restaurant even if I know there's likely lots of sugar or salt in the meals for instance we had a big meal out at a Chinese restaurant for his birthday and he ate tons of sweet and sour king prawns, for all I know the sauce could have more sugar than a bag of haribo but I'd rather he had the prawns and the experience of enjoying a celebratory meal in a lovely restaurant.

Offline j.and.e

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 19:05:22 pm »
I'd be happy for my kids to eat mcDs once a week. I dont particularly like mcDs food but I think anything in moderation. Personally i think the kids meals are quite healthy for young kids. Just a bit high in salt. Xx

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 20:10:06 pm »
Well I guess it is different now Leorah is 7 but DH often takes her swimming at the weekend and while they are at the pool they always eat lunch and she always has a burger! I think it is fine because for one thing I get almost a whole day to work, plus they have a great time bonding and she is being very active at the pool so a burger and maybe even an ice lolly really isn't a big deal. She eats healthy all week plays football and goes to gymnastics so I am not worried about her health. She also gets sweets on Saturdays so weekends are a time when she has more treats, in the week we don't really do any unhealthy foods, if there is dessert it is fruit or yoghurt. I think the important thing is to look at it over a whole week balance.
Katt

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 20:14:53 pm »
Stan never does - not because of any overarching values against, it just doesn't enter into the sphere of our routine. We do eat out - pub lunches, tea in a cafe or whatever. I am much more likely to COOK junk (shop pizza) when I need fast food because it's cheaper and in many ways easier than have to drive and go and get something. Oh he does get a packet of crisps 1 x per week after his football class. Audrey has fast food about once every 6-8 weeks with her childminder  ::) ::)

Audrey most definitely eats more unhealthily than Stan. She absolutely knows what sweeties and chocolates and crisps and lollipops are - and woe betide anyone who tries to sneak something past her to Stan!

Offline Aishi

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 20:54:37 pm »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts...i feel more confused lol i would love them to eat out in other places and whereas they would prob be fine with me eating there. I know they wouldnt be with dh which would stress him out and prob spoil the day yk?

And to be fair they do eat really well and pretty much homecooked daily (birdseye fish fingers or scampi once a week) and junk eg chocolate once a week and thats only a recent thing, prior it was only on special occasions...

I think ill let them do it. Im always complaining (on here) dh doesnt spend enough quality time with them and this could be a really nice way for them to bond. Dh works a lot so he doesnt really get time with the kids especially meal times so this may be a.way forward. And i will get more me time too ;)

btw creations dixys is like kfc but uses halal meat :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 21:11:25 pm »
I have a long term craving for KFC, love it!

It's great your DH wants to do this. Great bonding time for them and Y time for you.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 21:30:09 pm »
Sounds like the pros outweigh the cons for you...once DD3 is a bit older I know DH will be carting all three off on adventures, which generally involve junk food of some sort - whether chips/candy at the store or fries/popcorn chicken at the rink. For me it is a smal trade off for the Y time I will someday get again!!! So long as every trip to the store doesnt involve candy I am good with it!
Heidi

Offline louis-mummy

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Louis - the bestest (and now a school) boy!
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 21:54:03 pm »
I would totally do it, especially if most of the rest of the week they eat healthily.

I try not to let food be an 'issue' and for that reason they can have mcd's etc (Oscar has only had 2, I think, but had Chinese and lots of other meals out) but I don't sell it as a treat, they think it's for my convenience and of course they like the toy  ::)

I do think its hard striking the right balance though and such a personal thing to decide on...if you start to feel that it's becoming an issue for any reason you can always cut it back to less often?

Enjoy your me time!

Laura

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 09:56:16 am »
Glad you made a decision! My dd still doesn't eat the fries when she has a happy meal, she is another one who wants the tacky toy but she will eat a cheeseburger. TBH I don't really tell DH what he can and can't do with L, it is their time and even if she ate fast food every week it wouldn't effect the other 20 meals plus snacks so in that perspective it isn't exactly harmful ;)
Katt

Offline barbaraz78

• In the fall...
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 12:06:12 pm »
I agree, it is like me with grandparents: MIL and FIL use to give a lot of junk to F (and luckily he doesn't really eat it actually because he is happy to eat a candy or two, and he's done with sweets, and he really doesn't love chocolate). But really, what can I say? If they give him candies and treats every two weeks when they have him, I don't feel to complain too much, I think that the bonding time that they spend together is more important... and I still remember when my grannie bought me chocolate that my mum wouldn't have bought me, it was one of the magic things of staying with my grannie, so I understand this so well! Differently would be if F was eating sweets or chips every single day at home and refuse other food.
Barbara

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 12:33:02 pm »
Hope you get to enjoy your Y time and the kids enjoy their time with their daddy. Xxx

*Nicola*

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 15:39:15 pm »
and I still remember when my grannie bought me chocolate that my mum wouldn't have bought me, it was one of the magic things of staying with my grannie,

I remember when I was very little my nan would put a sweet under my pillow for when I woke up, it seemed so naughty and fun getting to eat a humbug before breakfast and neither my brother or I played her up at bedtime :D
Katt

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2014, 16:08:00 pm »
I think once a week would be the max I would want my kids to eat fast food but we do have food out after swimming lessons on a Saturday most weeks. Sometimes it is mcdonalds but sometimes it is pub grub, pizza, Chinese noodles, a sandwich in the leisure centre cafe.
My kids have something unhealthy almost every day probably but one day it will be crisps, another chocolate or sweets, another a cake another a biscuit and so on. They don't have them all on the same day. They eat healthily the rest of the time. We don't have frozen/processed foods for dinners and make most meals from scratch. They eat fruit and veg and have a varied diet. The dietician we saw for Cadan said he eats really well for his age and I was completely honest. Maybe I am fooling myself but I tend to think of us as middle of the road when it comes to eating. We don't deprive them of the sometimes foods but we don't overindulge and we have healthy food most of the time. I don't know a single child IRL who doesn't eat some sweets or cakes etc. I see that as the extreme end of a spectrum with kids who eat chicken nuggets and chips every night with sweets and crisps every day being the other end of the spectrum. DH's friend was brought up not really knowing what sweets and fizzy drinks were and then went mad on them when he had his own buying power as a teenager. I wouldn't want to end up in that situation either.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 17:58:34 pm »
DH's friend was brought up not really knowing what sweets and fizzy drinks were and then went mad on them when he had his own buying power as a teenager.
Same happened with my niece, total denial of all biscuits, cakes, sweets, chocolate, everything and no leeway ever, she was an outcast at school and at parties :( Then when the ban was lifted she went crazy.  She was much younger maybe 7yo or 8yo when the ban was lifted though and by high school (age 11/12 ish) there was problem getting a school shirt to fit her, she was bigger than a UK size 16 women's and could barely walk to the corner shop without becoming out of breath. So sad :(
Totally agree that total bans are not the way to go.

Offline **Clare**

• Showing Appreciation 134
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 19:22:18 pm »
I'd do it! I think you have to weigh up the pros and cons. I desperately need my Y time to recharge and I find it benefits the children greatly. To me it is more important than the worry of them having a not so healthy lunch once a week. Equally important is the bonding time for your children and their Daddy!

Just my opinion! X

Offline Aishi

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 19:32:08 pm »
Thanks Ali, creations for a different perspective. I come from the other side and was brought up on junk food (better to eat something than nothing attitude) and i guess im stricter than i would have been otherwise. I do feel i need to relax more so on it and i guess once a week with dh is a way to start...

Im really looking fwd to my me time now :D

Posted with you Clare! and i think you may be right ;)

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 23:22:10 pm »
Not quite as extreme as Ali's DH's mate but I was brought up on virtually no sweets, never a mac Donald's or Pizza Hut or anything like that, tbh mostly I think cos my parents had 4 kids and it was too expensive compared to home cooked grub! And once I had my own pocket money, and then later when I went to Uni I ate absolute cr*p at every opportunity :P But got it out my system and mostly healthy now. Oh and my kids have already had Mac Donald's than I'd had before I was 18 :P But, same as Ali, they are healthy kids, always have their 5 a day, drink plenty of water etc. X
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 23:38:43 pm »
I agree once a week is the Max I would want. I would prefer once a month but am pretty sure they get it more often with dh when I am away at work. Generally they get a burger and fruit and milk drink so it is a balanced meal even if high in salt and fat. Again we don't eat out of the freezer at home so I don't feel too bad.