Author Topic: wants to feed at 4-5am, then very small feeds in day 14 weeks  (Read 1130 times)

Offline aarden

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
wants to feed at 4-5am, then very small feeds in day 14 weeks
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:02:06 am »
Hi, I 've gradually seen a pattern emerge of massive night feeds. At 3 weeks she was taking 150ml from a bottle at 10:30 (now its 150-180ml) and then BF 4:30am ish. She has always been difficult to settle after the second feed and i would often have to go in a give her more. Now after the 2nd night feed, she goes to sleep (if before 5am otherwise is awake and tired) for 45 mins then will cry till I give her more. she is then not hungry in the morning an hour or so later when i try as you would expect, but then by the time 3 hours has gone by she takes a tiny feed. At the next feed which is now a bottle she only took 100ml yesterday.

Today it is 8:36am, she fed at 4am and then again at 5:15am and will not take any food from me. She is looking uncomfortable as eating hands, hiccuping as I tried to feed her and she got anxious, and is also overtired as I struggle with naps and cannot do anything about the EW.

I'm going to try a bottle now see if she only wants BF in the night. Also should I be thinking about moving to 4hr feeding early. She hardly ever cries for food it seems, she cries loads when I try to get her to sleep however!

I have just given her a bottle, she thrashed around, sometimes looked interested, sometimes not. She has taken 100ml. Am I forcing her to feed when she doesn't want to? 4-5am until 8:45am seems a long time for a 3 month old. I just don't know what she wants now although i know she needs to sleep!

Offline aarden

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: wants to feed at 4-5am, then very small feeds in day 14 weeks
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 15:14:05 pm »
i tried bf a few times, finally at 12pm after a bit of crying and bobbing her about she got going and emptied both sides.  I tried to feed her at 2pm, again wasn't really asking for it by crying but sucking hands a bit, she wouldn't have it at all, and was annoyed, she then took 150ml happily from a bottle. Is she refusing to BF or could there be something else wrong?

She was very windy this morning and after the wind came out seemed happier. I have called the health visitor and awaiting response but not sure whether they will say anything helpful or not.

I'm not ready to give up breastfeeding yet, was hoping to do 5-6 months but not sure combination feeding is working.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 15:17:11 pm by aarden »

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: wants to feed at 4-5am, then very small feeds in day 14 weeks
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:59:34 am »
I'm wondering about discomfort after that early morning feed -- are you taking the time to wind her (so hard in the middle of the night, I was always a big fan of getting back to bed as quickly as possible!) but found that taking those extra minutes to make sure I got a good burp up were really important -- I might look at discomfort as the cause of the feed an hour later as she probably shouldn't need it. 

She also could be developing a bit of a bottle preference -- at 14 weeks, she's smart enough to realize that she doesn't have to work nearly as hard to get milk from a bottle.  With regard to the combination feeding, are there certain feeds you're trying to do by bottle and certain ones by breast or just kind of taking it as it comes?  Are your bottle feeds formula?