Author Topic: Transitioning to 4hr feeds  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Urbsvox

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Transitioning to 4hr feeds
« on: January 29, 2014, 23:34:26 pm »
Let me know if I need to post this in the EASY schedule thread.

My daughter is 15 weeks old today. She won't officially be 4mths until the 16th of next month…

That said, we're trying to transition her to 4 hour feeds.  She's never been a good eater and instead of being hungrier with the longer intervals, she eats the same, approx 3-4 oz at eat feed.  This last feed she only took 2.5!  Here's the thing, if I was BFing, I wouldn't know how many ounces she was taking…I'd just know when she seemed as if she was finished.    I know there's a guide of 2.5 oz for every pound but she's never taken that much - ever, and the doctor hasn't diagnosed FTT so I'm not that worried.  What I am worried about is reducing her feeds if she's not upping her ounces.

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?  Stick to a three hour feed?

She was 10.12 at her last doctors visit (Jan 16th) .  We don't get another weigh in until the 26th of next month.

Thx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Transitioning to 4hr feeds
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 14:00:52 pm »
If she's not taking more then I would keep to 3 hour feeds. The indication they need to stretch is taking more and not being hungry at 3 hours, so if she isn't taking more then she will miss out on oz.

That said, 3-4oz is a very small feed for a nearly 4 month old, most are taking at least 6/7oz at this age. What flow teat is she on - have you tried faster or vari-flow teats? How is she during a feed- does she feed comfortably? How is she during the night?

Laura

Offline Urbsvox

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Transitioning to 4hr feeds
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 20:03:13 pm »
Hi Thx for the reply.  She's good during the night. She goes to sleep around 7:30 or 8:00, has a dream feed around 11 and wakes up only once around 3:30 or 4 am and takes a full bottle of about 4 oz.  Sometimes less.  We have tried a faster flow but she chokes on it so we don't think she's ready for it.  She's always been in the lower 25% so while most babies who are her age will eat around 6-7oz at a feed there are about 25% of babies who eat like she does.  I really wish she was a better eater because it would make me feel better, you know?

When we space out her feeds, she does eat 3.5 and above, but when they are closer together it's 3.25 and below.  So maybe these are just her "higher" numbers?

Thx for your help -

Offline elletutt

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:57:06 am »
Hi there Urbsvox,

My daughter is 21 weeks and is still doing exactly what you said your daughter was doing. She has never been a great eater. Usually eats 3oz every 3 or so hours aside from her dream feed and her 330 am feed which she has a full 4 oz. I know in the book it says she should be having 4 8oz bottles at this point, but on the odd occasion she has had 5oz she has spit up most of it.

How is your daughter now? Any suggestions?

Thanks very much for any advice!