Author Topic: Weaning... advice needed  (Read 984 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: January 30, 2014, 00:39:01 am »
My DS is 16 months. I've posted this on this board because I'm looking for advice in terms of how to wean. I need to wean him now cold turkey. He has been a terrible sleeper and has been waking up 2-3 times a night for a feeding for the past few months. I'm exhausted and need to stop. He's not nursing during the day, just a bed time feed and then however many night feeds he takes. He's at my parents right now and will likely be there for the next few days, and I'm using this time to wean him. My question is, should I just not pump at all and let my milk dry up, or pump once a day? I want my milk to dry up asap so that I don't use it as a crutch in the middle of the night to get him back to sleep when I've weaned him. Would love to hear advice!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Weaning... advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 01:14:26 am »
I would just pump to ease any discomfort really, or hand express. I found once we were down to a few feeds that weaning didnt leave me with much soreness or a need to express but my milk took ages to completely dry up.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:12:09 am »
I wouldn't pump unless you have to. I was very surprised how I didn't get engorged at all. If you do need to pump just do it until you feel more comfortable, don't remove any more milk than necessary. Sometimes just standing under a hot shower is enough to have some milk run out and then not need to pump. A cold compress should help and cabbage leaves in the bra are good for reducing supply and engorgement as well.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 13:13:23 pm »
I was down to one feed per day when Corey weaned a month ago and I never needed to express at all. I never got engorged but my supply was low by that point anyway. I agree with Ali - only express as much as needed, any more and you will encourage supply. Good luck xx
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 14:41:20 pm »
Thanks everyone! Going to try not pumping and see how it goes.