Author Topic: Re: 4.5mo wonky naps-20,30,40 mins  (Read 12560 times)

Offline *happy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
Re: almost 4mo...tweaking needed!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 20:41:37 pm »
i always go off what the easy ladies tell me!!! i am positively useless!!!!

2nd WU so far tonight....we have one cranky baby on our hands....possibly teething...possibly from her jabs yesterday.....

if we have an ok night (not too sure going on our day!) then i'll up the A time to 1hr 50 & see what happens. she really was cranky though before i put her down this morning...perhaps she needed a change of scenery!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 22:59:14 pm »
E: 1.35pm
A:1hr 20
S: 2.48pm (39mins...couldn't resettle)

E: 4pm
A: 1hr 15 (put her into the sling at 4.45pm when she got cranky)
S: 5.15pm (30mins)

Wow,  monster 2nd nap! that was on a 2hr A time following a short first nap, I'm not surprised she was tired and just a little surprised you didn't see some OT WU during it.
Was the short following A time because you were on your way back from the CM pick up? Just nodded off if in the buggy/car did she?  No surprise you couldn't resettle that one.
Can I confirm the next A time was 1hr 45 (you have 1hr 15) from 3.30 to 5.15?

If she was really cranky before her first nap today plus possible teething or effects from the jabs I'd be tempted to leave the first A at 1hr 45 (although 5 mins more might not hurt) and see her through the transition with a W2S for a few days.
Have you tried W2S Happy?
What do you usually do when you say it was an easy resettle?
I see even on the long nap she needed some help at 39 min, is this always the case, has she ever transitioned that first cycle of a nap herself?

What happens if you go for an earlier BT? Does she do longer at night?

could it be possible that she is LSN during the day?!?!
She doesn't look LSN to me, the sleep is there, it's just uneven through the day. Only slightly under average amounts (and average is only average yk) for a 4 month old, but yes it looks a bit low if you think of her as still 3 months or look at the short naps. OK that sounds confusing, I only mean it isn't perhaps as low as you might think.

Hope it goes well tomorrow :)

Offline *happy*

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 23:06:48 pm »
DFing half asleep here,so wont be coherent!
Thanks hun!will come back to you properly tomorrow. :-*
yawn...i hate getting up so soon after falling asleep.
Im def OT! ;)

Offline *happy*

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 06:01:51 am »
Morning all!so all bets are off today!she woke at 5.23am
&i couldnt sh her back to sleep so we had E at 5.40am.
Ugh.hate mornings like this.im never sure what to do.
If it wasnt for DD1,id treat it as a NW.

Will be back.dirty nappy.

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 06:31:26 am »
I'm sorry happy.  Must be her jabs do you think? 

Offline *happy*

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 07:19:13 am »
Possibly!possibly GS too though!up again now&feeding
a little.not much though!

Offline *happy*

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 09:20:43 am »
ok!finally made it to the computer!had a lovely A time with DH & DDs....guess all i need to do is get up every morning at 5am!!!! ::)

so today...

WU: 5.23 am...couldn't resettle with Sh so got her up
E: 5.42am
S: 6.37am (40mins)

E: 7.10am (fed v. v. little)
A: 1hr 45
S: 9am (she was literally asleep within 1 minute of putting her down!!!...expecting an OT 30 WU!!!)

going back to your post creations (thank you so much for thinking about it in a way that i just can't right now!!! ::))
sorry...can't seem to just quote little parts for some reason?it's quoting your whole post when i try!

the 1hr 20 A you mentioned....that was what we would usually do at that time of day if we are at home (we were home all day yesterday-mam picked up DD1). Im guessing i should have pushed it out a bit?her sleepy cues have me all confuddled!!! ::) ::) ::)

i guess you're right yes re the other A time....she was awake for 1hr 45 before nodding off finally in the sling at 5.15pm. she finds it much harder to nod off there these days-so easily distracted & i can't cover her eyes in the manduka, kwim?

i have never tried W2S!!!not even with DD1!!! i've always been too chicken!!!!

an easy resettle means we go in, sh & she falls back asleep within 10 mins. a not-so-easy resettle means we need to put a hand on her chest, or over her eyes, or sometimes rub in a straight line between her eyes so that she closes them fully!!!
we were using a soother to help resettle, but when we had a few nights of not needing it during the night, i decided to bite the bullet & stop using it for soothing. she loves loves loves sucking her hands, so i'm hoping that she will go down the same route as her big sister & use that as a form of SSing. ;) much easier than getting up in the middle of the night to replug!!!
i should mention though that she is swaddled (kind of!) for naps at the moment in the buggy.we are getting the cotbed today though so i hope to have her nap upstairs in her grobag tomorrow & she will have access to her hands...if she will use them!!!

the only time she has ever slept 2 hours straight is when we have early WUs (6ish) & i wasn't giving her a full A or a busy A i guess. it was probably still around the 1hr 20 mark thinking about it. but she slpet through those couple of mornings.other than that...yes....always need to resettle. that was another reason for me wanting to wean the soother.i didn't want it to become a prop. i don't think it was though,she would sleep through me taking it out if i didnt manage to get it out before she fell asleep.

i never paid much attention to BT times tbh!!!! :-\
i just always tried to do a 6pm-ish & 7pm ish feed to get that cluster in!

re LSN....i think you're right! that is just me clutching at straws!oh how i would love to have a baby that didn't need sleep!!!

so despite our lovely morning (she laughed at me!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D first time!!!), our day is all wonky now!!! ::) ::) ::)
but!!!! in a total aside....i'm not anxious about it!!!!so proud of how far i've come with my OCD-ness re times & routines!!! yay!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline *happy*

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 09:37:53 am »
Update! Jolt at 27 mins but stayed asleep.
Cry out at 34mins.
Trying to resettle now.

Offline *happy*

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 09:49:43 am »
Cant resettle.crying.poor pet.
Up&feeding now.
What A would you do?

Offline creations

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 10:11:52 am »
the 1hr 20 A you mentioned....that was what we would usually do at that time of day if we are at home (we were home all day yesterday-mam picked up DD1). Im guessing i should have pushed it out a bit?
I would have given a full A time (or even longer) after that monster nap. That said, something to think about - usually at this age we go with A times and work each day based on WU time and A times, but in some cases (mine as example) there are things in the day that we just cannot move and it is not impossible to run the day on *some* A times and *some* set nap times.  YK set naps are usually advised more around 1yo but you need to work out what's best for your own family situation.  If she often nods off on the way back from CM pick up this can become habitual and she'll show sleepy times then whether fully tired or not, babies just seem to love routine and habit!  This may (or may not) be something you want to stop.  For instance you may need to look at the earlier nap and feed as more of a set time to get it fitted in before heading out to CM for DD1.  Just thoughts, ponder it, no need to make decisions right now, but for the coming months as A times change etc.

I would do W2S on the first nap of the day for 3 or 4 days and see if she can learn to transition on her own as this was one of your original goals. Stick to the A time, go in 10 mins before she regularly cries out and begin your shushing, hand on her too if needed.  Continue 20 mins (through into the next cycle) or 30 mins (through into deep sleep) if possible.  After 3 or 4 days don't W2S and just observe and resettle if needed as per usual. If she successfully transitions job done, if not continue W2S the following 3 days, then hold off to observe again.  Sometimes only 1 cycle is needed, sometimes several...and sometimes it doesn't work ;) (but can often still get a longer more restful nap on the days you use W2S so there are still benefits).

Hard to see where you are up to today and I'm dashing out right now but I'd go with a 1hr 45 A if possible and resettle if needed.

Have a think about earlier BT even if you don't start it today, just think how it might effect the family routine etc and if you think she would add some extra sleep to her night.

I'm out quite a bit today but will pop on if/when I can.  Deep breaths if it's a rough day x

Offline *happy*

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 10:57:54 am »
thanks hun!really appreciate it.
yes....my main goal is for her to resettle herself/transition through so she won't need to resettle!!!

she was so upset for that whole A time just there...poor pet. totally OT. those short nap days have certainly caught up with us. i had to resort to giving the soother briefly to get her calmed. :-\
that's my question to the LSN answered!!! ;)

i'm scrapping today & going to start fresh tomorrow!!! (or maybe friday!!!DD1 is home all day tomorrow so things will be wonkier than usual!!!)

thanks again hun!!!! :-*

Offline creations

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 14:43:43 pm »
Just keep telling yourself that one or two, or even three wonky days are not for ever.  You'll get back on track.  Could still be teeth or jabs effecting her too (I'm trying to remember what jabs they have at that age and the poss side effects).

Offline *happy*

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 21:43:22 pm »
so that was possibly the worst day we've had in a long time!!!
i ended up using the soother to get her to sleep in my arms (with lots of bouncing...how many more props could i use!!!) from 12.15 for an hour.
then another APOPed nap in the car from 2.40-4pm. still super cranky though after that nap. another APOPed nap in the car on the way home from my parents for 30mins 5.15-5.45. asleep at 7.30pm with a brief WU 40 mins later....hopefully asleep for a few hours now! ::) ::) ::)

anyway!tomorrow is another day!!!  :)

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 21:57:12 pm »
Ah bless her.  I hope you have a better night.

I have actually bounced Medi to sleep in her carrier while I sat on an exercise ball and ran the Hoover at the same time so I feel your pain!

Offline *happy*

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 22:05:46 pm »
an exercise ball!!!why did i not think of that!!!!!(not that i don't love doing squats for 40 mins straight!!!!)