Author Topic: Reintroducing bottle to 8 mth old question  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Dovely73

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Reintroducing bottle to 8 mth old question
« on: January 31, 2014, 16:36:05 pm »
Hi,
I need to reintroduce my 8 month old to the bottle. He took it from 7 weeks to 4 mths then rejected it and not really tried since. We're planning to follow the BW system tomorrow. My question is, do we offer solids as usual on the day we're trying to get baby to take the bottle? So, do we offer a bottle at 7.00am and if he rejects it, offer again each hour until he takes it but at 9.00am give him breakfast as usual? Then lunch as usual at 1.00pm and dinner at 5.30pm? Do we also offer water throughout the day as usual ?

Or is it just the bottle only until he cracks and takes it?!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Reintroducing bottle to 8 mth old question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 18:40:04 pm »
Do you have a time that you need him to be on a bottle by? If you don't then your best bet is to try a bottle first, if he doesn't take it then breastfeed him and try again at the next feed. You could also try a cup, open/ sippy or straw rather than a bottle, this is often a better option for breastfed babies who don't like bottles.

Here is a link you may find useful if you haven't already seen it.

Breastfed babies and bottles

Laura

Offline Dovely73

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Reintroducing bottle to 8 mth old question
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:23:15 am »
Hi Laura,
Thanks for replying. It actually went surprisingly well yesterday. My husband did a feed with a sippy cup at 7.00am when my baby took 2.5oz. Nothing at 11.00am but we were out shopping so that's not surprising. 3.5oz at 3.30pm from the cup. Nothing at 7.00pm which is quite normal even when breastfeeding. I did the dream feed with BF and he took both sides. I fed him solids and water as usual throughout the day. This morning my husband did a cup feed at 7.00am and baby took 3.5oz.
The best thing is that there was no crying or upset. He played with it, drank a bit and played again. I'm pretty pleased with that. Need to keep doing it once a day now. Hopefully he'll also start taking it from me too.