Author Topic: Twins! short naps and night wakings. Pleeeeeaaaase help!  (Read 1160 times)

Offline babaka

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Twins! short naps and night wakings. Pleeeeeaaaase help!
« on: February 01, 2014, 10:56:31 am »
I have not long posted on the topic, but i think its best if i re-post as the problems have now taken a better shape since then.

We are 3 month old twin girls (3 months today actually), formula fed only (170 ml max), on EASY since week 4-ish, on 3 hs feed.

Now the problem is that neither will nap longer than 30 mins during the day, to precision its 30 mins every time for both of them. They will fall asleep on their own (most of the time with pacifier) but up after 30 mins and are unable to fall asleep again (on rare occasions if i insist with going back in and giving the pacifier which they will spit out but then ask for it, they might go back to sleep for another max half hour). My main problem is that being that there is 2 of them I find it hard to know when to go in, as sometimes at the slightest noise the first waker makes, the other one is also woken up,so im probably rushing in way too early, but i have no idea how to do this without waking the other one up too.  Our wind down routine for naps is drawing the curtain, laying them in the cot, singing a lullaby, pacifier in if necessary and leave the room. (max 10 mins)
 In addition I have just read Tracy's sleep interview and now i feel like I am not doing anything right! It all sounds sooo complicated!

Now for the night time, I usually change their nappies first just before 7 pm (they hve dry skin so need to moisturise them from top to toe which takes  a long time), then feeding, a story, prayer, in to the cot a lullaby and out of the room. Then dream feed at 11 pm, but they still wake up between 3 and 4 am and take a whole feed, and then we start the day at 7 am. What do i do to get them to sleep through the night?

Due to this hectic sleep patterns, A times are all over the place, but usually the most they can stay awake for is 1 h, 1 h and 15 mins. But quite often because they have already been awake before feeding, I have to put them down right after feed and nappy change, but agian still only sleep for 30 mins.

Now that they are 3 months old, I would like to try pu/pd as shh/pat does not work for us at all, but again same problem, being twins how do i tackle pu/pd if they both wake at the same time, and how quickly or late do i go in to do pu/pd??

I forgot to mention, the only time they will sleep longer is when i take them outside with the pushchair. They will as usual wake up after 30 mins but within 15 mins they are sleeping again, and will wake up as soon as we are home and not in the rocking motion anymore. I take them outside every day for aprox 1h, 1.5h.

I really do want to get this sleeping isuue sorted, as every day come the afternoon they are soo fussy and tired and by the time the night time routine comes about each will scream their heads off while i'm with the other and it gets me down soo much, every night i feel like im really not up to facing another day, and instead of enjoying my girls I spend my time stressing and worrying and being uptight and i really want to be a happy mummy for them!

Any advce will be soo appreciated!

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Twins! short naps and night wakings. Pleeeeeaaaase help!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 03:15:17 am »
Hi there,

I don't have experience with twins (sorry) but I wonder if maybe a white noise machine will help so that when one wakes, he/she doesn't wake up the other?!

30min nap is often overtired and I wonder if they will sleep longer/have a better chance of falling back asleep if you reduce their A time a little. What A times are they on at the moment? What is their gestational age? If they are younger than 3 months, the 3hr EASY may be too much for them (the awake times for a 3 month old).

To be honest, EASY didn't look anything like EASY for us either at that age. We were too battling short naps and I would try my best to stick to the feeding routine but with naps, they were short (except the morning nap stated to get longer sometime between 3-4 months). I would try to resettle but only for another 15-20mins and if mine wasn't asleep, I would get her out of the cot and do a little more A before E was due and then try again for another nap when she was showing me tired signs.

I actually think your nights are great!!! At 3 months, although some are able to sleep through with a DF, most do still wake up early morning, take a feed and then return to sleep for another hour or 2. We had 2-3 night feeds at 3 months too. Night sleep tends to get better first ( baby does longer stretches, which yours are) :)

Quote (selected)
Now that they are 3 months old, I would like to try pu/pd as shh/pat does not work for us at all, but again same problem, being twins how do i tackle pu/pd if they both wake at the same time, and how quickly or late do i go in to do pu/pd??
PU/pd isn't recommended until a baby is 4 months old and you may find them getting even more worked up with pu/pd. How are you doing the shh/pat method? Are you wanting to do pu/pd to extend naps or extend night sleep? You don't have to do it as per book, you can adjust it to suit your baby. For example, I used to rub Jenny's forehead/head/hair and shush at the same time, which would help her settle down.

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 20:28:12 pm »
Hugs. We also have 30mins naps with my two. Have you tried separating for naps? This may help also then you can still aim to settle one if the other is whinging. Believe me I am no expert but that's things I've tried. I tried shorter a times but had no luck and plus it's near impossible at that age with two to get everything done before putting them back to bed. We don't do a df just the 3am feed. Have you tried without the df? Do you always wake the second one for the 3am feed?
LAURA xx

Offline babaka

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 17:41:38 pm »
Thank you ladies for your replies.

I do put white noise on for them and it helps to settle them but it doesnt help with the wakings, they still wake up after half hour...

Well, A times can vary because of the waking so early, but usually it is between 1h and 1, 15min. I do try to resettle them too or leave them if they dont cry, and if not get them up, have some a time and try again before e time.They were born at 37 weeks, so gestational age is 13 weeks. I actually think that thye are nearly ready for the 4h EASY as if they have a good feed, they will not want any for at least 3,5 hs, however this again complicates things when it comes to the routine, plus one will always be slightly off hunger wise and tiredness wise too, sooooooo its all a big mess :) i dont even think i can call ours a routine at the moment...

I tried the pat/shh, tried the just putting my hands on them and shh, tried the not constant shh but with breaks and they just seem to get wound up even more...

I have tried separating them but its almost impossible in our flat as the i would have to take the one to my neighbours house in order for the noise not to be heard by the other one. Not because she cries so loudly, but because the flat is so echoey (or whatever the correct spelling is  :) )
I have tried without the df but then they wake up between 1 and 2 and then can't make it till 7am, however, i do want to drop the df sometime soon.
Yes, I always wake the second one for every feed, at night and during the day too.