Author Topic: Not sure how to proceed.....  (Read 2415 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Not sure how to proceed.....
« on: February 02, 2014, 22:34:16 pm »
We introduced our LO to solids yesterday morning, starting with yams mixed with some breast milk.  He didn't love them but he put them in his mouth and sort of swallowed.  This morning we tried again and he didn't even open his mouth really, basically flat out refused them.  Should we continue offering him a little bit every day or just hold off for another week?  We tried rice cereal last Saturday and it was a no-go so we waited until yesterday, and we did yams on the suggestion of my doctor because they're sweeter.
My friend, who has two kids, suggested I try the meal at mid-day instead of the morning because her DD who is the same exact age as my DS, doesn't eat at all really in the morning but will devour food at mid-day and dinner.  We try solids an hour after breast milk feed, around 8am.
In a nut shell my two questions are; should we keep offering him small bits of food this week or wait a week? Also, should I try moving the meal to mid-day or just leave it at breakfast?   ;D

Offline didiosa1980

• First time mommy
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Not sure how to proceed.....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 14:45:18 pm »
We have halfheartedly been trying avocado only with LO only on the weekends the last few weeks. LO will (not) sometimes take some food after his mommy milk. Since solids are only getting him accustomed to future eating habits, I never pushed to make sure he HAD to have something every meal. I go by how willing he is at the time to have something different. I have always spooned a pinky-size amount on the end of the spoon (to make sure he gets the food and doesn't gag on the spoon) and hold it within his reach. If he leans forward &/or reaches for the spoon, then he eats. This way, he doesn't learn to be force fed.

I read that if you introduce a new food, then you keep that one thing for 4 days to get LO accustomed to that new taste. I suppose it would be bad if s/he is always trying new things that they've NEVER had before. Plus, you can make a big batch of something and then leave it in the fridge for easy access later.  ;)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 14:49:35 pm »
My friend, who has two kids, suggested I try the meal at mid-day instead of the morning because her DD who is the same exact age as my DS, doesn't eat at all really in the morning but will devour food at mid-day and dinner.
I think most babies eat more in the morning and lunch time hours rather than afternoon and evening. But they are all different.
How old is your LO?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 16:22:40 pm »
Are you offering straight after milk? It may be that he is too full from the milk to want any solids; I remember this well with my little guy! If you can space solids so that they are further from milk feeds you might have more success. Please bear in mind though, that you don't want to decrease his milk intake at this age.

Have you considered baby led weaning so he is in complete control of what he eats and how much?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline lauradj

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 18:02:45 pm »
My DS is almost 6 months.  I tried feeding him about 45-60 minutes after the morning feed but he drinks so much at that feed that I think it lasts him for quite some time, he drains both breasts.  He hardly drinks anything at the 11am feed so we were thinking that perhaps I should try solids around noon?  I had read the morning was best because if they have any digestive issues, they get the whole day to work through them, though I suppose if I tried a solid feed at noon that still gives him 7 hrs...
We've looked at baby led weaning (and my friend does it) and I think our plan is to do a blend, give him a little taste of purees initially and then let him have at it.  I actually joked to my husband that what would should be feeding DS is scrambled eggs because that's what he sees me eat every morning and he watches very closely! 

Offline lauradj

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 18:07:13 pm »
Also, definitely not going to decrease the milk consumption!  I've worked too hard to get him up to almost 16lbs, I don't want to fall backwards again.  :)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 18:37:50 pm »
It sounds like noon might work! Hope it goes well for you.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 21:27:01 pm »
In a nut shell my two questions are; should we keep offering him small bits of food this week or wait a week?
Your baby is still so young really I don't think it will make much of a difference if you offer food every day now or wait a week, or even two. If he isn't interested yet that's fine, a taste here and there in whatever he shows an interest in (within safe guidelines) is fine, it doesn't have to be every single day if he isn't too keen just yet (where as mine screamed the house down at that age furious that I had food and he didn't so really it was very clear he needed, wanted and was ready for solids which he ate with much enthusiasm).  The time they become very interested varies quite a lot so try to just enjoy the process in a stress free way.  There's no hurry.
I would also say, maybe he just didn't want the same food a second time?  Guides now are if you wait until 6 months and there are no known allergies in the family you don't need to do 4 day trials, I know some parent's still prefer to do this but I also know with mine it would have caused him problems.  For instance carrots constipate my boy if they are not balanced with other foods so 4 days of carrots would have been a nightmare to put it mildly.

Noon is a great time to introduce solids - and you can have your lunch at the same time :)

Offline lauradj

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 21:57:44 pm »
That's really helpful information, thank you Creations!  We tried yams again today and though he still wrinkled his nose, he kept opening his mouth so I did 4 teeny spoonfuls.  I might try apple tomorrow in that case, because they're in season and naturally sweet.  My friend feeds her daughter zucchini, parsnips, rutabagas, so I'll look at those too.  I don't want to rush him.  Actually there is no rushing of this boy, slow and steady is his motto but I figure since his 6 month birthday is in exactly one week, we might as well get on with it!  It's exciting and yet a little sad  :-\ , he's growing up already! How will I ever survive day care?!

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 08:12:08 am »
Enjoy it :)  I loved weaning (BLW) it was so much fun watching him learn about all those different tastes and textures :)