Author Topic: 10 month old new problem  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Lrentz

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 28, 2014, 16:51:26 pm »
Ok, I'm going on 4 hours of very interrupted sleep since the last 4 nights so I was compelled to ask my question.  We have finally got rid of the pacifier, but now we have a baby who pretty much slept through the night to waking up at 12am and 4am, and yesterday was 12am, 3am and didn't sleep till 4.45am.  She doesn't fuss or cry, she is just up tossing around, chatting and playing wanting interaction.  - want to know what the best plan of action is for these night wakings?  Do I just ignore her until she cries? Or do I try and rock her back to sleep?  I try to shh/pat but she just keeps turning around and smiling at me. :)  Please help. Momma losing her sanity!

Here is her schedule for the past couple of days:

7am up
Between 7 - 8am 6oz formula
A time
9:30 solids
10 - 1030 nap for 1 - 1.5 hrs
12 6oz formula
A time
3 6oz formula
3:30 nap time 1 - 1.5 hrs
A time and solids
8 pm 6oz formula
8pm wind down and sleep routine (lights off, PJs, cuddle, rhymes and rocking till almost asleep) sleeps in our bed
12am up usually plays just a bit and I can get her back down by rocking her again till she is sleepy before I put her down or a bottle

Up again somewhere between 3 and 5 and wants to play.  Very tough to put her back down at this time.  Definitely needs a bottle before she will sleep again, but is not crying.

Any tricks to get her to sleep through the night? I guess my problem is she doesn't know how to fall asleep on her own?!?!

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 10 month old new problem
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:30:12 am »
Does she know how to fall asleep on her own or do you have to be there? In general, if she is up and not crying, I would let her be. I wouldn't rock her or shh/pat her if she's not upset. If she starts crying and her cries are "I need you" cry, you would resettle.

I am sorry I don't have any btdt experience as we stopped co-sleeping around 3-4 months. I found dd was more awake when she was in our room/bed...

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Lrentz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 16:51:34 pm »
Thanks for your reply!  I'm just not ready to put her in her own room yet.  I have a crib in my room, but that is hit or miss.  Yes I think her problem is that she doesn't know how to sleep on her own partly.  I feel like if I ignore her when she wakes up though, she'll go on like that for a couple of hours just babling before she starts crying.  And then when she does cry, I pick her up and rock her and put her back to sleep, so why not just do it when she wakes up and put her to sleep sooner that later.  I'm not sure how she is learning to sleep on her own by doing this. Does that only make sense to me?

Offline Layla

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 22:31:54 pm »
It makes sense and I suppose if you have no issues with rocking her back to sleep and don't plan on working on independent sleep at this moment, then you should just rock her back to sleep as soon as she wakes, especially if you are planning on rocking her back to sleep eventually :).

Let me know if you would like to work on independent sleep and I can give you some links on what methods BW recommends for 10mo but I am not sure how you would be able to do that if she's in your bed (again, I didn't co-sleep past 3-4 months) but I can try and track someone down if that's what you'd like to know :)

Offline Lrentz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 03:32:39 am »
Layla

Thanks for your reply.  I do want her to fall asleep on her own, but I rock her to the point that she sleepy but not yet asleep to put her down.  Is that a problem too?  So just put her down immediately after the bedtime routine?  I usually do the bedtime routine while she is in my arms.  I don't mind rocking her a bit, but I do want her to learn to sleep on her own.  I would also like to still keep her in our room atleast if not in the bed :(

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 14:41:46 pm »
Rocking until drowsy would be your first step to teaching independent sleep.  the trick is getting her to go down more awake all the time so she can eventually do it on her own.

Can she see you from her crib in your room?  to sleep on her own it would be best if she is not in your bed or cant see you.

honestly if you want to teach her to sleep on her own you need to go for it or not.  inconsistency will only confuse her and make her cry more KWIM?  also keep in mind that the older your child gets the longer it will take. 

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 14:52:29 pm »
Hi hun!

I just wondered also if she is a tad under tired, as this can cause long wakes in the night (it has done for us in the past) not generally upset just awake.

Do you think she could do with an A time push, mabee push by 10/15 mins in the AM & see how you get on? It may be aswell that you would need to cut one of the naps slightly shorter aswell as too much day sleep can also eat into the night sleep. It could be the very beginning of the 2-1.

Obviously the sleeping on her own would need tackling at some point but im wondering if just an increase in A would fix it for now.

What do you think?
Jody
 xx

Offline Lrentz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 03:26:46 am »
Thanks ladies,

I'm trying to put her exclusively putting her in the crib and that seems to work a little better since she can't see us.  I can definitely push A time but it seems like it's not helping much.  She will stay up even an hour if I let her. 

I seem to have more trouble getting her down without rocking her.  So should I rock her or not?  If I put her down not sleepy enough, she fully wakes up and starts playing.  Should I just ignore her and let her stay in the crib until she's sleepy and starts crying?

Offline Layla

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 03:00:10 am »
If it were me, I would ignore until she starts to cry but I wouldn't be rocking her when she'd start crying, I would do pd until she's asleep. But if you prefer to rock her, there is no point in doing that, you just continue rocking her until you're ready to stop rocking altogether. There is a gradual method .. here is the link Gentle Removal Plan , it should also cover the topic of rocking to sleep :)

HTH a little

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 14:28:39 pm »
are you rocking her until she is asleep? or only drowsy?