Author Topic: Help 2yr refuse to eat most things  (Read 2223 times)

Offline TRR

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Help 2yr refuse to eat most things
« on: February 04, 2014, 16:30:45 pm »
So my DD is 2 as of Nov. She has never been good eater from day one. As infant refused most baby foods unless mixed with apple sauce. Was willing to try to put something's new in once and while. Would eat apples bananas watermelon corn cucumber potatoes. But now watermelon occasionally, small slice apple if lucky and cucumber would eat whole thing if let her. Anything else veg fruit wise simply refuses to put in mouth and try at all. Try dips, fun shapes, toothpicks to pick up, make funny faces on plates. But still nothing. And now as of late refusing most meats except salami, hot dogs, occasional chicken nuggets fish sticks. Eats waffles, muffins, pancakes, bread, some pasta. All plain if any sign of anything on or in that is not normal refuses to eat. For example pasta and sauce no way pasta plain bit butter ok. I am not sure what to do. I have read a few sites saying only offer say a cup of fruit for lunch if they refuse offer nothing else and when ask for food offer fruit  cup again. I feel terrible doing this. Not sure if way to go. Looking for options ideas suggestions. Or just ride it out but concern that she will never start to eat. ???  :-[
Tracy
The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.  She never existed before.  The woman exist

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Help 2yr refuse to eat most things
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:25:32 am »
Hi Hon- They can be a pretty tricky at mealtimes!!

Can you have a think and give me a little list of what she DOES eat? You've managed to cover the things she refuses- but it'd be good to hear what she does eat...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline TRR

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 01:23:45 am »
Hi Katy
So what she eats is spaghetti, salami, fishy crackers, apple sauce plain or mixed with other fruit sauces, bread, muffins, waffles, hot dogs, eggs, chicken strips, fish sticks, fries, cucumber, peanut butter Nutella, pancakes, crackers, fruit twist sticks, watermelon,  drinks any juice, milk,  water. And of corse if offered any thing junky such as chips, cookies, candy, ice cream, cakes.
We always try everyday to get fresh fruit veggie of one kind offer but very little success. Will occasionally get water melon, apple, few bits banana, but most of the time anything else is absolute no, not even a touch to the lips.
I just am so not sure what to do to get her to try items. I am sure if she would try she would like some.
Should we get a bit in her mouth most times she will spit it out almost immediately before even chewed at least once.
I am just concerned she is not getting enough variety in food to be getting good nutrition.
Tracy
The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.  She never existed before.  The woman exist

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 15:42:04 pm »
DD was like this, she only wanted bread type things. Here is a link to a little article I wrtoe about for a (now defunct) mommy e-magazine once; there are some ideas there and a recipe http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/tricking-toddler-tastebuds-or-how-i-stopped-worrying-and-learned-to-love-the-bread/

Is pizza with veggies under cheese (no or little sauce) out? Would she consider more vegetables if she had a dip? DD dips everything in Hoisin or Wafu. Fruit smoothies, and let her see you put a small scoop of vanilla ince cream in her 'milkshake'? We gave her the V8 fruit/veggie juice as well, she would drink that.

Good luck. DD is almost 6 now and is slowly getting better, but she still won't eat much for pasta sauce, or anything that is mixed (stew, etc). She does eat red food now though!
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 11:29:34 am »
Hi there,

At this age lots of Los only eat what seems to us as a small variety of food but this is totally normal (and actually evolutionary being "picky" was a safety mechanism so that small kids would only eat things that they knew were safe and tend to refuse/ignore things that they don't know to be safe). 

Your list of foods she does eat is actually pretty long (and if you think about it, even just 50 yrs ago LOs prob weren't eating such a variety of foods - prob just a few daily/weekly common items) so I wouldn't get too worried about increasing her variety of foods as such.  As long as you can offer her a balanced diet from that list then there's not much to worry about and you can introduce new foods with no stress or pressure if she doesn't want them.

There are foods from pretty much all the food groups on your list.  The only one that jumps out at me as perhaps being a bit lacking is veg so I'd prob tackle that first iiwy.  It can take many many times of offering a food to an lo before they will accept it. I'd try experimenting with different veg to see if there is something she'll take and also cooking and presenting it in different ways.  You might also try "hiding" the veg in other things.

Have you seen these threads?
"Deceptively delicious" recipes - hide the fruit and veg!
Tips for encouraging veggies
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old