Author Topic: 9 month old started waking at night  (Read 3537 times)

Offline JessicaNoel

• Jessica
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 06, 2014, 18:30:34 pm »
My almost 10 month has been waking at night on and off for a couple months.  He used to sleep through every night but know he will sleep through for a couple nights then wake for a couple.  He usually only wakes up on once maybe twice.  I told my pediatrician and he said to use CIO.  I'm not going to though.  I have already sleep trained him with pat/sh for naps when he was 12 weeks old and he has finally started napping longer than 30 minutes YAY!  But his nights are sometime bad sometimes good.  Just wondering why he sleeps through sometimes and wakes other times? Our routine on a good day, give or take 30 minutes

6:15     wake nurse and back to sleep until 7
7          wake for day
8          breakfast solids
10.       Nap for an hour sometimes longer
11.       Wake
11:15.   Nurse
1.         Lunch solids
2:30 or 3. Nap for an hour sometimes longer
330 or 4 wake
4          Nurse
5.         Dinner solids
630.      Bedtime routine
645.      Nurse
715-730. Asleep

Naps have gotten much better and we are finally on two naps a day. 

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 9 month old started waking at night
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 22:51:40 pm »
Do you find a correlation between a bad nap day and bad night? Does he need resettling or does he just fuss/cry a little and then will go back to sleep? Do you think he may be uncomfortable/in pain... could it have anything to do with what he's had to eat that day? Would you be able to post what the last couple of days looked like in terms of sleep?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline JessicaNoel

• Jessica
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 22:19:17 pm »
It doesn't seem to correlate with bad nap days.  His days can be the same sleep wise and he will wake one night and sleep through the next.  He is getting teeth so that probably is part of it.  Right now he has an ear infection and I can see white in his upper gum.  The on and off again night waking has been going on for a couple months so I'm just wondering if it is normal.  If he was waking every night I would be I more concerned, but like I said he'll sleep through a couple then wake a couple.  Over the couple months he has had a cold, two weeks of a super stuffed nose, a virus, learned to crawl, and got two teeth with more on the way.  Lots going on.....not sure about the food thing.

He is sometimes easy to settle, but other times really hard even if I am holding him.  He can definitely resettle himself sometimes will only fuss then fall back asleep. I always wait to make sure he needs help before going in. We were picking him up at night to help him fall back asleep when he couldn't resettle by himself.  I would have to suck his boogers so I would hold him to sleep afterwards.  I didn't really think it was a problem because he was still sleeping through some nights.  Lately I have been just going in and putting a hand on him to resettle.  Last night it took 50 minutes.  He sometimes will fall asleep for 5 minutes then wake and fuss the fall asleep for 5 minutes then wake and fuss before he falls a sleep for good.  I just wanted to know if it is common for a baby to sleep good then bad for such a long period of time?   :-\

Offline michcabby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:59:22 am »
I have a 9.5 month old girl, and her schedule sounds EXACTLY like yours.. I guess we're doing  something right? ;)
She has never slept more than 10 hours strait and that's only happened 2-3 times ever.. She will wake 2-3 times which is frustrating. PUPD does not work for night wakings. What do you do when your boy wakes up at night? My baby would literally stay up for 3 HOURS, not crying but fussing and stirring and keeping me awake. If I'd nurse her she'd be out in 5 minutes, so that's what I've resorted to doing every single time she wakes at night. Usually I don't mind if it's once, but if it's more than once I get irritated and crabby that I couldn't sleep more. What to do??

Best luck to you, I'll be spying this thread to hopefully hijack some great advice :)

Offline JessicaNoel

• Jessica
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 23:01:59 pm »
I can usually get him back down by just putting my hand on him until he falls asleep.  Sometimes it takes awhile.  When he is having a really hard time I pick him up and sit with him until he falls asleep.  The last couple nights have been bad though.  He has a tooth that is just a starting to show.  I have also read about a wonder week starting now.  Not sure but he is a fussy boy lately and woke 4 times last night.  Hopefully gets better soon.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:32:03 pm »
Hi hun, just checking in to see how things are going.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline JessicaNoel

• Jessica
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 20:53:58 pm »
He is cutting his top to teeth so we had a couple rough nights and days. Two nights ago he slept through, but last night he woke once but was pretty easy to resettle and fussed a couple times I the morning and woke at 6 and wouldn't nurse back to sleep.  Not sure, but ready for his teeth to cut through.  That are so close.  I do think he is feeling better.  He is also really stuffy.   :-\. Still not sure why he only wakes sometimes.

Offline JessicaNoel

• Jessica
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 20:55:08 pm »
Any thoughts on wonder weeks and sleep regressions?

Offline Layla

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 22:13:45 pm »
I haven't really looked into wonder weeks... I didn't even know the term existed until I came back here when dd3 was born. I know of the 4mo sleep regression but that often coincides with GS and a general need to change routine. Generally during sleep regressions (or whatever dd3 goes through), I try my best to stay consistent and not rely on too many props so that I don't have habits to break later on. So far, we've had to go to her and do a bit of shh/pat/quick cuddle (which she still responds to really well) if/when she has trouble going to sleep and then things tend to go back to normal again.

If he's teething though not much you can do but ride it out... mine has also just cut her 2 top teeth. She was a bit unsettled going to sleep for a few days and DH had to stay with her at bedtime to comfort her.

Offline JessicaNoel

• Jessica
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 01:27:50 am »
Does my schedule seem off? How old your dd and what is her schedule?  I feel like I'm still trying to figure out A times.  We've had some short naps lately.  In the last three weeks he's had a cold, ear infection and two teeth cutting. It seems to all happen at once.  We were finally on a good day schedule and now not so sure.  He is a recovering 30 minute napper.  He wasn't a 30 minute OT nap, but that is just how long he goes in between sleep cycles.  He still wakes at the 30 min mark but falls back asleep. 

Offline Layla

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 09:17:37 am »
At this age, I don't think they need to have 2x1.5hr naps anymore and some do better on 1 shorter/1 longer nap, a pattern leading up to the 2-1 nap transition.

Our routine at 9 months was:
6am - wake
9.15-10 - morning nap (I woke her up)
1.30-/3-3.30 - afternoon nap
6.30 - bedtime

The routine is still about the same except on the days I let her sleep longer than 1.5hrs in the pm, I can get some resistance at bedtime... but I have accepted that during the transition period, its unrealistic to expect 12hr night.

So you could try shortening the morning nap to 45mins and hopefully he will sleep longer in the afternoon.

The av A times for 9mos is 3-4hrs  :)

Offline JessicaNoel

• Jessica
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 13:59:50 pm »
He's 10 months and a week old now.

Offline Layla

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 22:31:23 pm »
10 mo's av A times are the same as 9mo's - 3-4hrs.

Your LO is about the same age as mine and the routine I posted before is the same routine we're doing now, except that I may look at shortening her morning nap to 30mins soon as she's starting to mess about at bedtime and I might pull back on when the afternoon nap starts... but that routine works well for us.

A lot of babies at this age start to show signs of 2-1 nap switch - this link will explain more ;D 10/ 11mo sleep gone wonky? Read this first! (2-1 switch)

Offline JessicaNoel

• Jessica
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 00:57:38 am »
Thank you for the advise and help :).  Naps have always been an issue, but are good now most of the time.  He's very unpredictable!

It's hard to figure out why he wakes some nights but sleeps through some.  Discomfort maybe?  As long as he keeps sleeping through sometimes I won't worry to much.  Just wondering if what he is doing is common.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 18:48:43 pm »
In the 2-1 it's very hard to get the A times quite right and you'll have good nights and bad depending on your lo. The waking at 30min will cease over time. My LO did the same at 40min when we finally went to one nap at 12 months it stopped. :) Then something else will take it's place ;)
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**