Author Topic: 5,5 months old problem with schedule  (Read 734 times)

Offline MaraG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 07, 2014, 22:24:30 pm »
Hi,

I'm introducing EASY to my second baby. It worked with the first one so I hope it will help us again.

Before she didn't have a strict schedule and she didn't go to sleep by herself.

Today was the third day and we already have some improvements: morning nap is much longer, she woke up only one time last night and I didn't have to feed her and Put Up Put Down takes about 20-40 (it used to be 60-90 at the beginning) minutes during the day and she cries much less. In the evening yesterday and today she went to sleep without crying at all.

But we have some problems and I don't know if they exist because she is adjusting to the new routine or because I'm doing sth wrong. Afternoon nap is very short and I do Put Up Put Down until it should be finished (almost 40 minutes) and she falls asleep much later then she should (according to the schedule).

Our day looks like that:

7:30 wake up and breastfeeding
9:30 - I put her to bed and it takes us about 30-40 minutes of Put Up Put Down before she falls asleep (she cries, she starts to play with her feet or even smile than cry again before she finally calms down)
11:30 - I woke her up or she wakes up about time she should, solids and breastfeeding
about 12:30 she starts being sleepy but I don't let her because the schedule says that it's to early
13:30 - I put her to bed and it takes us about 20-30 minutes of Put Up Put Down before she falls asleep (like before the morning nap)
after sleeping 40 minutes she wakes up and she doesn't want to sleep more.
15:30 - breastfeeding
if she is very sleepy I put her for a cat nap about 17:30 or 18:00 - it took me 15 min. first day and the same today. yesterday she didn't need it so much.
18:30 - rice gruel
18:50 - bath, massage, song
19:15 - I put her to bed. She doesn't cry, but it takes her 1h-1:15 before she finally falls asleep.
I breastfeed her during her sleep at 23:30. She also wakes up at about 4:30 and it takes me 30 min - 1h of Put Up Put Down before she falls asleep.

If you have any suggestions please share them with me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 22:32:55 pm by MaraG »

Offline MaraG

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 22:15:35 pm »
Please help. There is clearly sth wrong with the second nap...

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5,5 months old problem with schedule
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:32:59 am »
Hi there
A 5.5month can likely handle a longer A time and you may find with longer activity before putting down to sleep she is more willing to go to sleep. Trying to put baby down UT (under tired) can result in lots of resistance which can take you past the optimum A time from UT into OT.  Finding the best A time for her will take a little trial and error but initially I would go up from 2hr to 2hr 30 and see how she does (from your EASY it looks like she is already staying awake until 10am or so through PU/PD taking her into her room later might result in less resistance and a shorter put down time).
Your EASY may look something like this:
WU and E 7.30 (is this the time she wakes or are you waking her?)
A 2hr 30
S 10.00 (1.5hrs but it's fine to leave her to sleep 2hrs if this is what she wants)
E 11.30 (or 12 if she naps longer)
A 2hr 30
S 2.00 (or 2.30 if nap 1 is longer) (1.5 - 2hr)
E 3.30 (or later if naps are longer)
A 2hr to 2hr 30 depending on how naps have gone and how tired she is
S CN 5.30 - 6.00 if needed.  If not needed go for early bed time
EBT 6.30 instead of CN
or BT 7.30

You'll see here A times at this age are between 2.5 to 3hrs, each baby is different
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
See how you go on 2hr 30 then we can increase to 2hr 45 if needed.

2hr naps can throw the routine a little off what you are expecting but that's fine. Adapt to the day as you go on unless you have something specific you must do at a certain time (appointments, school pick up etc) in which case we'd need to take that into account to find a routine that works for the whole family.

WRT breast feeding at night. It's very common for breast fed babies to still have 2 night feeds at this age, one DF and one other NF. (there are some updates to BF info on the BF board if you need some further advice on this)  Are you sure she is not hungry at that 4.30am NW?

hope this helps some. Let us know how it goes.