Author Topic: MY 6.5 month old wakes several times a night and has mostly short naps  (Read 1117 times)

Offline tamlev

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
This is my first posting but I've read the entire BW book and found lots of good tips there.
My 6.5 month old wakes several times a night and we must go in and give her the pacifier. Most nights she will wake and sleep and wake and sleep for even an hour. She has been on EASY since 3.5 months and the transition went quite well. Her naps have always been short (45 min in average) and I tried PU/PD to make them longer but that didn't work and was very nerve racking. About a month ago most naps became longer (between 1.25-2 h), but not all. When she has a short nap it is usually impossible to get her back to sleep (I try for almost an hour sometimes).
We figured the night wakings were a hunger issue (I am breast feeding and she eats some solids) so we increased the amount during the dream feed. That helped for about two nights (woke only once). We tried raising the calories during the day by adding a bottle with a known amount after each nursing. While doing that I felt she started eating less (solids- ate less and with a fuss/nursing- just a couple of min. and kept on stopping).  Lately she refuses to go down for the catnap but she is VERY exhausted from the day (and from short naps usually) so I'd really like her to take the catnap.
We think that separation anxiety kicked in some time ago since she sometimes has screaming episodes when being put to sleep (either naps or bed time at night).

Today we tried the following routine thinking it is a food issue:
6:30-7:00 wake, eat (nurse), play
7:45- Solids- fruit
~8:30- nap (45 min- 1.5 h)
when wakes- play some more
~11:30- eat solids only (cut out the nursing)
~13:00- nap (45 min- 1.5 h)
15:00/15:30- eat (nurse)
16:30/16:45- cat nap
~18:15- eat (nurse), bath, story
~19:00- sleep

To answer the rest of your questions:

How many wakes per night? 4-5 on average

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? cries until we get to her (not screaming), then can smile and be very happy. We give her the pacifier and sometimes she goes back to sleep but wakes a couple of minutes later.

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? It is crying, not a mantra cry, we usually wait a bit before going in.

What have you tried to settle?? pacifier, PU/PD if necessary (we try not to PU at night).

What do you do for A time and how long is it? play with the toys in the living room, dance to music, read stories. I try to go out with her once a day either to the park or to the store when we need shopping. When she is in a good mood she can play on her own for a while, then I join her or sit beside her.

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? no yet

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? I think the pacifier is a prop... since we always have to give it to her when she wakes. I would like to get her to learn to return it herself when she wakes.

Do they have a lovie? Not really. She has a doll in the crib which she some times holds and sometimes not...

I feel like there are several issues going on here... I'd very much appreciate any help.
Thank you in advance!!
Tammy

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: MY 6.5 month old wakes several times a night and has mostly short naps
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:37:38 am »
bumping this for you hon! Welcome to the boards!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 07:17:01 am »
Hi Tammy and welcome to the BW,

You mentioned her naps have been short and I wonder if she's ready for the 3-2 nap transition, this age being quiet common. I've attached a link for you to read through and basically would would be looking at 2x1.5hr naps and a slow push towards 3 hrs A throughout the day. On the days she seems to still need the catnap as you're stretching her towards 3hrs, you could either give it to her but shorten it or do an earlier bedtime.

All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

If you believe the paci is a prop, it would be a good idea to either get rid of it and use other methods of teaching her independent sleep or you could try and teach her to replug?

What do you think? :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline tamlev

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 17:32:42 pm »
Hi,
Thanks so much for your reply. When reading the info in the link you added, I was nodding along every sign that was mentioned...
It feels a bit scary to get rid of the CN (although she hasn't CNed in 3 days now...) since she gets to the end of the day exhausted. But... I'll follow the instructions and try to make the transition.
Regarding the paci- how would I get rid of it? Here too, we feel like she sleeps better with it and we actually rather her use a paci then suck her thumb (she really likes putting anything in her mouth since the beginning...).  She know to pull it out and put it back in when she has it in her hand (also with the paci, she likes to play in her mouth...). But at night in the dark room and when she is crying a bit how do I get her to find it and put it back in?

Someone suggested to put lots of paci's in the crib so it's easy for her to find.

What do you think?
Thanks...
Tammy

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 02:15:30 am »
I put paci's in the crib for DD1 & worked on teaching her to replug during A time...currently doing the same with DD3 - she can replug just cant always find it at night! I spread 6 or more in a half circle around their heads (they are tummy sleepers).
Heidi

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 14:49:53 pm »
mine were both back sleepers but we also kept paci's in the crib for them to find during the night ;D