Author Topic: 11 months in 2 days and waking at night 99% of the time  (Read 1569 times)

Offline SamLukeMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 months in 2 days and waking at night 99% of the time
« on: February 19, 2014, 19:18:55 pm »
Hello! 

I have been following the advice on pu/pd and my son is still waking up 1-4X/night.  He is settling back to sleep faster but still waking.  I stopped giving him a bottle for a couple of weeks but it was a disaster (up most nights on and off b/w 3-6am) so now I give one bottle(never more than one) of 4oz if he wakes up after 1am.  If he wakes up before 1am I comfort but no bottle.  He is his info.  (also, sometimes he sleeps like a champ for naps...do I ever wake him up?)

How old is your child?  almost 11 months
What’s his/her daily routine?  wu around 6am, 6oz, breakfast @7am, nap @ 8:30am, 7oz @ 10:30am, lunch @ noon, nap @ 1pm, 7oz @ 2:30, dinner @5pm, bottle @ 5:45pm and bed @ 6pm.
How long are naps? 1-2hours
What's bedtime routine? Time?  I just put pjs on and sing a song...he falls asleep great at bedtime!
Do you bottle or breastfed??  bottle
How many wakes per night?  1-4X
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?  Goes back to sleep pretty quickly but sometimes settles/cries/settles/cries/settles/cries, etc....
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?  I try to only go in if he's crying
What have you tried to settle??  I put my hand on his hip and I say it's time to sleep
What do you do for A time and how long is it?  Hang out/play with big brother, crawl around, run errands (2 1/2, 3, 3 1/2 hours)
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?  pacifier/ he can find it himself, not looking to get rid of
Do they have a lovie?  yes

Please let me know if you see anything that looks like it needs tweaking!!  THANK YOU!!

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 11 months in 2 days and waking at night 99% of the time
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 21:38:31 pm »
Hi hun, sorry your post has been missed. How are things going?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline SamLukeMommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 13:13:13 pm »
Thanks Layla!  Things are not good...Last night he was up 4x.  I just don't know if it's his routine, separation anxiety or using me as a prop?  I've almost sort of given up, hoping he will grow out of it!  But the other half of me wants to sleep!

Offline Layla

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 20:03:32 pm »
would you be able to post his routine past 3 days?

Offline SamLukeMommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 14:29:26 pm »
Ok, here is his schedule and it mostly never changes (only by 15-30 minutes or so)

6-6:30:  Wake up/7oz bottle
7am:  breakfast
8:30am:  nap
10:30am:  7oz bottle
12pm:  lunch
1pm:  nap
2:30pm:  7oz bottle
5pm:  dinner
5:45pm:  7oz bottle
6pm:  bed

He usually gets a 4oz. bottle in the middle of the night and that helps with early morning fussing.
Last night he was up crying at 10:30pm and 4:45am but then slept until I woke him at 6:25am.  He is fairly inconsistent about when he'll wake up during the night.  I just wish I knew how much longer this was going to go on for!!  Do you see anything in his schedule that you would tweak?  I know the first nap is early but if I push it back he has a really hard time and cries and only sleeps for 25-30 minutes.
Thank you!!!

Offline Layla

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 22:24:08 pm »
So does he sleep for 2 hrs in the morning and then another 1.5 in the afternoon?

Offline SamLukeMommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 14:32:45 pm »
He's pretty random with his nap lengths.  They are usually around 1 1/2 hours each but there is a lot of variation.

I feel a little guilty because I really don't think he's hungry at night but I'm still doing the 4 oz. because he settles so quickly and sleeps later so I'm thinking of keeping it until he's 12 months.

My instincts are telling me that he is using me/bottle as a prop.  Is there any way of telling if it's the schedule or prop issues?

Thank you!!

Offline Layla

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 10:11:30 am »
I guess if you keep feeding him he'll keep expecting it so you may have a prop issue....but then again if he returns to sleep promptly, I can see how you wouldn't want to mess with it! Schedule wise, as a lot of babies start to make the transition to 1 nap around this age, they kinda need one and a half naps so I would experiment with that and maybe try keeping the morning one shorter (45mins) and keep the 2nd one at 1.5hrs and see if his nights improve?

You could also try to reduce how much you're giving him at night over the next couple of weeks...