Author Topic: 5 month old awake every 2 hours. Please - ideas?  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Mjaz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
5 month old awake every 2 hours. Please - ideas?
« on: February 11, 2014, 12:48:48 pm »
Hi,
I have BW'd two babies already, but I have never had one do this!  She is waking every 1.5-2 hours at night.  When I attempt to put her back to sleep without nursing her, she freaks out.  I mean, screams bloody murder like I'm starving her.  Since that wakes everyone in the house, I ended up nursing her.

Variables-
For the first 4 months of her life, she woke ONCE a night!
She's been doing this for about two weeks
Naps well
Cut her first tooth two days ago (meds made no difference)
Is still recovering from bronchitis (this was happening before she got sick)
She's EBF
She's in the 99% for height and weight
She refuses my attempt at cereal or formula

Any thoughts?  The people on this site have let's helped me figure it out!  Thank you in advance!
Melinda
Melinda

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 5 month old awake every 2 hours. Please - ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 19:31:39 pm »
Hi hun, welcome back. I think it could be a number of things. One there is a big developmental/physical leap at 4 months and since this started 2 weeks ago that well could be it. Secondly there is a GS and she may just be hungrier at night for now. That said she can still most likely go 4hrs between feedings but sometimes a baby who woke once at night will wake twice for a bit then go back to once a night. But she certainly shouldn't need to eat every 2 hrs. Can you give me a sense of your easy?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 01:52:54 am »
Thanks, Siobhan.
We saw the pediatrician today and she thinks the feeds are due to her being ill and needing to drink/comfort often.  I'm pretty certain this was happening before she got sick at all!

To be honest, our EASY is very relaxed with this baby because I have a 2 yo and 4 yo.  Her A time is right around 2 hours, sometimes she takes 45 min naps, sometimes she can resettle herself and go as much as 2.5 hours.  But with preschool and music class and having to stop nursing to get the 2yo out of the refrigerator (he's a tough one!) I simply try to adhere to the EAS order though in sure there are times when it looks like EAES.

She was born at 38 weeks, so she may be in the 4 mo growth/developmental spurt.  Eating every two hours all night just doesn't seem right tho!
Melinda

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 03:00:00 am »
We had a hug uptick in nf's at 4 months...went from none to 3 & now over 6 weeks later we are finally back to none (just in time for the 6 month gs I'm sure!!).  I am actually surprised how her yells at night do not disturb anyone but me.
Heidi

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 15:20:04 pm »
Please, I need help.  I am literally so run down I'm getting sick and having migraines.  I don't know what to do with her!

Well she cut two teeth and has completely recovered from being sick.  She's now been waking every two hours all night for a month.  I feel like I have tried everything!

We are trying to get her back to sleep with shh/pat when she wakes if she ate less than 4 hours ago.  A couple times we were successful, but

2:30 - nursed
4- woke, tried to get back till 5 (screaming bloody murder, woke the whole house)
5- caved and nursed her, but she still wouldn't go to sleep
5:45 - sleep
6:45- wake

What should I be doing?!

Melinda

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 17:00:01 pm »
Hi hun, honestly I know it's hard with 3 so I understand if you can't but if you can avoid giving in and feeding if she's not hungry otherwise it wont help.  Can DP give you a break and try and resettle? If you are BF that's also a way for her to realize she's not going to eat if it's your dp.  What's your current EASY?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 17:22:13 pm »
Was wondering about your EASY as well, perhaps her day needs a tweak?

Heidi

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 19:00:47 pm »
He tries to help, but she's much more responsive to me.  I've never had a baby scream so hard like she does.  I just can't wake the whole house with her screaming for an hour plus.  My husband works two jobs, needs his sleep and my 2 yo and 4 yo are train wrecks if they're up all night.

Could the teeth still be bothering her even though they're through?  She is drooling like crazy.  If she doesn't resettle at night for over an hour, what do I do?  How do I know she's not hungry?

She's 19 lbs already! 

Her EASY yesterday:

Wake 7
E: 7:45
A: 2:25
S: 9:10-11:30 (2:20)
E: 12:30
A: 2:30
S: 2-3:30 (1.5)
E: 4
A: 2
S: 5:30-6 (30)
E: 6
A: 1:30
E: 7:15
Asleep 7:30
Melinda

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 19:02:20 pm »
Thanks for the help ;(
Melinda

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 19:35:42 pm »
I wonder if she needs to head into 3-2 switch? Would you say she is high, average or low sleep needs? My older two were doing two naps between 5.5/6 months but DD3 switched to 2 naps at 4 months. Do you judge A time by cues or the clock? (This was the age I remember DD2's cues became non existant or unreliable - yawns were boredom not tiredness!).
Heidi

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 21:55:00 pm »
She was 2 weeks early and most of the time her cues are crystal clear.  I don't watch the clock...and her A times are always around 2:15-2:30, which seemed ok to me...
Melinda

Offline larren

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 22:42:30 pm »
*hugs* I logged on to ask about my 4.5 month old DD who is doing what your DD is doing, for 3 or so weeks now. Hopping on to follow and hoping things get better for us :)

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 02:00:22 am »
Heidi,
She refused CN today and had a major meltdown at 6:30 when I tried to get her to bed (3.5 A time - Eesh)  Maybe you're right about the 3-2.  So I think I'll slowly try and expand her A times, but the kicker is I almost always have to screw up her naps to take my son to and from school.  :(. It's so so so much harder to have a routine with 3 kids! 
:(
Melinda

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 02:25:48 am »
I know! I totally rolled my eyes at a friend who has one lo who is 5 months when she asked me if it was too cold for me to bring DD3 over...erm I have to do the school run twice a day, no matter the weather. DD3 has been on 2 naps since 4 months! Total low sleep needs, but we just manage the school run home as she starts fussing (I suppose the fact that she rarely sleeps in a carseat actually helps in this case!).
Heidi

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 19:18:57 pm »
I stayed home all day yesterday to get her some good naps and she refused the CN and then it took TWO hours of screaming to get her to sleep.  She doesn't want my husband.  She doesn't want a bottle.  She wants to breastfeed and that is ALL.  She was then up every 2-3 hours and did not go back to sleep easily as usual.  I'm a MESS.

This morning we had music and movement class.  She did not fall asleep in the car so had a 3 hour A time and passed out on me in the middle of class.  Sigh. 

Idk what to do anymore but ride it out.  :( :(.

Question: she's 5.5 months and we've tried a little bit of pears and oatmeal with her.  Sometimes she wants it, other time not.  She had a huge vomit one afternoon from it.  Should I hold off completely?
Melinda