Author Topic: BFing and dropping a feeding to go to 4 hour EASY  (Read 1732 times)

Offline shannoncorrin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
BFing and dropping a feeding to go to 4 hour EASY
« on: February 11, 2014, 17:45:10 pm »
Hello, I have a few questions regarding BFing and EASY.  I'm in the process of transitioning my 17 WO to a 4 hour EASY.  Right now, we are doing 3-3.5 hour EASY, and there are days where he drops the 4th nap, so we do EAEAS.  He does a DF and STTN.  Will he eventually drop that last feed as well (not the DF, but the one before bed)?  How will this happen?  He will usually suckle, even if he isn't hungry.  Do I lead the way on this? 

When/if he does drop a feeding, how will he know that he has to eat more at the other feeds?  Will he wake up at night for a few nights for a feeding do you think? He is usually EBF.  Three days a week he gets a few bottles of BM which I have been filling about .5oz fuller lately.   

Since he has been STTN, he only gets 6 feeding.  If I drop a feeding, he will only get 5. Is that enough to keep my supply up? 

Thanks for your help! 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: BFing and dropping a feeding to go to 4 hour EASY
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 20:49:48 pm »
Have a look at this FAQ on knowing when and how to move to a 4hr EASY. Time to Transition - 3hr, 3.5hr or 4hr EASY

Do bear in mind though that some BF babies don't make it to a 4hr EASY until closer to 6mo or when they start solids so if your LO is not showing signs of needing to go longer between feeds then I would just stick with what you are doing now.

I found mine both moved naturally to a 4hr EASY as their A times extended and therefore they woke from their naps longer after the last feed. My boys were both on 5-6 BFs a day by 4.5mo (4 in the day and 1-2 at night) and I didn't have a problem with supply. Supply is driven by demand at this stage so your body should just produce what is demanded when it is demanded.

He will just eat more at each feeding because he will be hungrier due to it being longer since his last feed.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline shannoncorrin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 02:23:24 am »
Makes sense, thanks!

Offline Clairemary

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 21:07:10 pm »
What is the approx amount of sleep a 3.5 month baby is supposed to get?  It seems like our 14 week baby gets too much during day and awake more at night- but more grumpy as this has been a pattern for three days now.  We use three hr easy and she is bf baby with no plan to introduce solids until 6 month.  Any suggestions?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 21:11:35 pm »
About 4.5hrs I would say (3x 1.5hr naps). I would suggest posting a new topic with your current EASY so we can give you more specific advice. :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011