Author Topic: replacing the fat  (Read 5345 times)

Offline boyomum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 12, 2014, 12:16:21 pm »
Hi All, I am weaning my diary allergic baby and trying to understand what she is missing out on by not eating the yoghurts / cheese etc so I can appropriately supplement.  From my research I understand calcium and fat are they key things she would get from the diary.  Calcium she will get from all the veg she eats but what about the fat?
 What can I give her to supplement the fat?  Also at what age did people first give goats cheese / yoghurt to their little ones?  I understand that many still react to that.  I have continued to eat goats cheese and she doesn't seem to have reacted to that in my milk.
Many thanks!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: replacing the fat
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 13:05:43 pm »
Naturally saturated fats would fill the bill nicely: coconut oil is a good one, as are any rendered animal fats like chicken, beef, and pork if you eat those. Other "good" fats/oils are fish oil, olive oil (lower temps better than high), flaxseed oil (low temp only), avocadoes. If you eat chicken, use dark meat chicken. We cook almost everything in coconut oil here, sometimes lard too. Adding coconut milk to cooking or to drinks/smoothies (or using it plain if it can be tolerated) adds good fat as well.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 13:08:46 pm »
Avocado, olive oil, oily fish, dark meat, coconut oil, nut butters (at appropriate age)?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 18:53:10 pm »
A good source of calcium (and I imagine fat if you cook the skin too) is a homemade chicken stock. Full of natural goodness.

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 02:28:24 am »
Following!  I am having the same issue!

**Tracy**

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:31:06 am »
In regards to the calcium - we were given the go ahead for almond milk which is high in calcium.  I worry about my dd's fat intake too so if you don't mind me following I would appreciate it!

**Tracy**

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 02:39:48 am »
nut butters (at appropriate age)?

They recently changed recs here and advise starting nut butters (mixed in things like cereal) at 6 months old - new thinking is that early and frequent exposure will limit the potential for food allergies. Not sure if other countries have similar guidelines though!
Heidi

Offline boyomum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 12:54:25 pm »
Huge thanks. I will go buy some coconut oil!  My girl has just turned 8 months.  When did people start their little ones on
- almond milk
- goats cheese / yoghurt (with this one I know it is case of try and see but I was just wondering at what point that is)

Much appreciate the advice!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 22:03:23 pm »
Not sure on goats cheese but I think generally the advice is to introduce dairy after 1 year old and see how they react

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 22:45:41 pm »
nut butters (at appropriate age)?

They recently changed recs here and advise starting nut butters (mixed in things like cereal) at 6 months old - new thinking is that early and frequent exposure will limit the potential for food allergies. Not sure if other countries have similar guidelines though!

Whoa, since when?  That's awesome news but I guess not all doctors have heard yet (I believe we are one province apart).  At our 6 month check up my doctor reminded me not to give nuts to DS before he's a year but I eat Adam PB all the time.  I'm pretty sure if DS was allergic we would know by now.  Thanks for that bit of info!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 01:37:26 am »
Idk when...DD2 was my last 6 month old...5 years ago! No clue when they did it, but they still dont advise whole nuts for the choking but for sure mix nut butters in things or spread thinly on toast etc. We are in Sask, do you think each province sets its guidelines or isit a Canada wide thing??
Heidi

Offline sharonpmn

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 01:37:25 am »
Hello Mamas, and all,

Replacing the fat is an awesome question, I agree with those who said coconut oil, olive oil (low temps), avocados, and omega 3 fat rich fish (in safe quantities of course, sardines great for this, when appropriate age).

I would also add after 4 months of age babes can have warmed though not cooked egg yolk. The egg white is off limits till later as the protein is too big and can cause sensitivities or allergies if ingested too early. The saturated fat in egg is fantastic for neural development and musculo skeletal coordination.

The nut butters are best if soaked in pure water with sea salt for 6 hours (almond, pecan) to decrease the phytates( which block mineral uptake) and make them more nutritionally available as recommended by weston price foundation and Nourishing Traditions with Sally Fallon.
Nuts are inherently inflammatory and in my opinion are best used as a condiment not a meal or even the main part of a snack. Each person is different, worth considering.
Sharon

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 02:12:34 am »
Agree with everyone else. Just had an. Appointment with our biomed pead who said would introduce nuts for t now and that the least allergenic are walnuts then almonds (and that almond butter is a very good fat) nuts need to be introduced one at a time though as they are so different from one an other.

Coconut yogurt is fab, and for calcuim seeds are really good. I think you can get sesame butter and oil  :-\ leafy greens also have good calcium.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 14:42:45 pm »
Don't forget undercooked eggs are a salmonella risk and as such the uk recs are to only give fully cooked eggs to babies and children between 6mo-5yo.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 15:00:42 pm »
I would also add after 4 months of age babes can have warmed though not cooked egg yolk. The egg white is off limits till later as the protein is too big and can cause sensitivities or allergies if ingested too early. The saturated fat in egg is fantastic for neural development and musculo skeletal coordination.

I am not sure whereabouts you are but certainly in the UK  raw or partially cooked eggs are not recommended for babies;

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eggs-nutrition.aspx