Author Topic: Switching from Enfamil AR to Similac for fussy / gassy babies  (Read 1992 times)

Offline PuppyLuf

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Switching from Enfamil AR to Similac for fussy / gassy babies
« on: February 13, 2014, 22:06:48 pm »
I decided to switch from Enfamil AR to the gassy / fussy baby Similac.  My LO is still throwing up the AR, even on Prevacid.  He always seems crampy.  So I gave him one meal of the Similac and he seems much more relaxed and no spit up!  However, he is the baby that was eating 7 oz. of formula every few hours at 6 weeks old.  AR is very thick and filling.  Do you think switching to a different, thinner formula will make him need even more?  He was finally sleeping four hours at night at a stretch, and I don't want to jinx that.  Should we try the Similac during the day first?

Anyone have experience switching away from AR?  Thanks!

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
Re: Switching from Enfamil AR to Similac for fussy / gassy babies
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 22:37:46 pm »
If you noticed an improvement after switching I would go with the similac. My son was breast fed but also had neocate LCP as he has CMPI which was a huge cause of his reflux.

I'm not sure about the consistencies of both milks but I would probably continue to make the same amount of milk for him until you see how he gets on.
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 22:44:48 pm »
I *think* the similac is the same or very similar to the comfort milks we have in the UK. If it is you will probably find it is actually a bit thicker than normal formula so may not be too bad. Also, if it is making him more comfortable he may not need to feed so much as babies do try to feed to sooth their tummies.

I agree with PP about making bottles the same size as the AR though.

Laura

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 01:31:16 am »
Yes, Similac Sensitive is a reduced lactose formula.

DD2 did much better on similac sensitive than on regular formula, but she did need to switch to a completely lactose free formula because she is lactose intolerant.  If your LO has an intolerance to the proteins in milk (lactose is only the sugar in milk, so lactose free formulas still have milk proteins) then you will have to switch to a formula that isnt milk based.  I would keep the same amount in the bottle of the new formula and see how he does.  You may have to go down a nipple size if he struggles with the thinner milk.

Offline epting57

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 23:00:51 pm »
whoa! 7 oz every few hours.  My DD is 2 months and will only take 4 oz every three hours.  I have been truing to get her to take more but won't.  I use Gentlease by Enfamil and have been thinking about switching to AR because she spits up like evey bottle and sometimes multiple times a bottle.  It just seems to come right back up like a floodgate opened.