Author Topic: 15 month not interested in learning  (Read 1938 times)

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 14, 2014, 22:55:16 pm »
My son was very quick at wanting to eat on his own, drink on his own from a real cup, and walked months ahead of his peers, yet about the time he finished getting these down he has stopped wanting to learn things. He stacks blocks, puts balls in hoops, and is attempting to eat with a fork. But what concerns me is that he is not talking at all, no single word. His ped mentioned it but said he wasn't concerned at this point. My son also does not know any body parts and has no interest in learning them. It seems that anything that doesn't "get him somewhere" he doesn't care to learn... Any ideas on why or things I can do to make him more interested? We've tried songs, reading, playing, learning toys... Any ideas?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 15 month not interested in learning
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 23:21:11 pm »
Does he make any sounds? Like "vroom" for a car etc? Those count too! I would not be too worried either - keep singing, reading and playing with him and let him learn at his own pace. I've learned after having 3 that they all have their own style of doing things but they end up at the same place regardless! 
Heidi

Offline louis-mummy

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Louis - the bestest (and now a school) boy!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 23:35:21 pm »
Agree with Heidi.

I think most children have an area they 'excel' in but few are doing brilliantly at everything at this age.

Does he babble or have other ways of communicating with you? If you ask him something does he understand? So he might respond to 'can you pick up your toy car?'

My DS is 20 mths and saying very little but he understands a lot! both my boys were late walking but now there's no stopping them.

Laura

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 03:41:40 am »
He understands everything, I say puppy he points to the dog, hold up an animal and he growls, if I say hungry he runs to the kitchen, sleepy he runs to his room ect. And I can understand him mostly. His whines, points, and facial expressions I know what he wants. It's just that I try to show him something new and he's not interested. I suppose the things he doesn't know or want to learn aren't important, what kid cares where their nose is when they can play "piano" and throw balls lol. He's pretty vocal on and off. Some days he's nonstop mmm and ba and p, other days he doesn't say anything unless he's whining and some days he's hilarious laughing at himself babbling and making facial expressions like what he said is really important...

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:46:29 am »
By all means keep showing him new things and try to engage his interest - he will get interested in what you are doing at some point, but on his own terms! Name his body parts in the bath or when you wash his hands and face and one day you will be amazed when he rattles them all off! Sounds like he is a happy and bright little guy :)
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 21:33:38 pm »
My Ds2 was more advanced in physical things like crawling, walking, potty training and the like but more behind on the speech. He has developed at his own pace though so I'm not worried. Try to just relax and enjoy him. I bet it will come when he is ready. He is learning new things all the time without you even realising it I bet.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 21:49:17 pm »
They all learn at different rates! DS was always more interested in the gross motor stuff until he mastered that, and then it was on to the other stuff.

Read to him, follow his lead the rest of the time, and you can't go wrong.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 21:58:49 pm »
I remember that I was worried about Olly not talking until late but he has caught up and you can't stop him now!