Author Topic: Do we need sleep training?  (Read 855 times)

Offline ollieAra

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 17, 2014, 13:53:33 pm »
I think it might have just been an off night, but hard to tell.  I can't decipher what may be the cause, maybe its all...26weeks...maybe 6mo growth spurt, just learning to crawl, slight cold/cough, working on napping issues or relationship leap.  *whew.  Usually my lo goes to sleep fairly easy and he's generally woken 2x a night for a bottle and then on and off from 4-6 (6:30 is wake up time during the week so we can all get out to work).  I wish I could cut out the 4 am waking but it just seems part of his cyle and if i can get him back down at 4, he wakes again at 5.  By then, i'll admit, I tend to cave and place him in his swing for an hour to hang out.  I know i'm going to be told to stop, i want to, its just so hard when i'm so tired and just need a liiiiiitttle more sleep (b/c between my lo's wakings, my toddler will occasionally wake up once or twice at night and ask the covers be put back on her).

Lil one's general schedule is this

6:30-7a wake
aprox 9 bottle
after 2.5 hrs of wake--nap time
nap time varies..trying to get over 30min hurdle
eats again around noon
nap
mid afternoon bottle
6p dinner
7:30 bed
wakes 2x--times vary for a bottle, usually goes back down easy (but not the past couple days)

we have started solids but he protests a lot during them most days but we still encourage.  He goes to daycare during the day and we try to follow the same schedule but if he's not hungry he won't eat so we rely ion his queues.

I've tried to let him cry at night when he wakes up at 4 if he's had a bottle recently, but after maybe 10-15 min I cave.  This may all just work itself out, but if there are any tips or insight please share :)  I think the most challening part is just keeping him asleep after his second bottle.  At times he'll wake at 3am to eat, then wake up at 4, be able to put him back down but he'll wake back up at 4:30....then its a 50/50 to get him back down, most of the time he starts chatting and trying to be social. Then there is the 4:30/5a #2 and i have to go back in again to change his diaper...it seems to never end!!!

Thanks

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 76
Re: Do we need sleep training?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 17:09:31 pm »
We're dealing with a similar issue tbh, so I'm afraid I haven't got a lot of advice for you. I'm just wondering if he's on two naps or three and how long the pm nap is. If it's short he may be overtired, I'm thinking.

Offline ollieAra

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 17:35:43 pm »
He takes 2-3 naps depending on their length.  I would be surprised if he isn't over tired b/c its hard for us to get him to nap long enough during the day...another issue we are working on and that I have posted in the Naps section of the forums.  We try so hard to get him on track with sleeping enough but its a challenge every day.