Author Topic: is it time to ditch the bottle for 3.5yo ds??  (Read 10330 times)

Offline Aishi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 105
Re: is it time to ditch the bottle for 3.5yo ds??
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 10:15:12 am »
He wont have smoothies stephanie. He loves to help make them, takes a sip and then thats it ::)

thanks Barbara. I hadnt thought of doing homemade ice cream. doh. Thats worth thinking about. Do u need an icecream maker? i dont want to buy appliances in case he doesnt go for it....
aishi :)

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 10:25:23 am »
I have Thermomix and use it for doing icecream (as to do everything else... ;) ). I just freeze the milk and the fruit, then add sugar and blend everything. I don't know if it works with a normal blender.
I don't know how it is there, but here "gelaterie" normally start from scratch to do icecreams, so really it is normally not that bad and more and less what you could do at home. Surely more expensive though: with a glass of milk and a banana I make icecream for 3 people.
Barbara

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 11:08:01 am »
thing is he is ok about drinking milk but just wants it in a bottle
Would he take a straw in a 'cool' boys cup or a sport bottle instead of a baby bottle?

You can add ground almonds (and milk powder) to things like pancakes and muffins if you ever make those. In fact you can just switch all the flour to ground almonds to make pancake mix.  Evaporated milk is high calcium too (from memory it's about double regular milk), in case you didn't know, don't know if you could do something with that so that smaller portions can still equal decent calcium level.

I did a sort of icecream a couple of times with frozen fruit and regular milk in the whizzer, it is softer than proper ice cream like it's been left out to melt a bit but still thick enough to eat with a spoon and it's cold and tasty without the cost of buying an ice cream maker.  You could prob do a couple of frozen ice cubes of milk, a handful of frozen fruit and then enough milk (or evaporated) to loosen it, the non-frozen milk goes thick and cold because of the frozen fruit.

Offline Mama_Mia

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2014, 13:54:50 pm »
When I took my sons bottle away he stopped drinking milk for a few months,I never worried about it, but anyway one fast he just started drinking it again and now hew drinks it daily.

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 19:59:52 pm »
You can buy soya ice cream in Tesco if you have one close by. Its called Swedish glace and comes in a black octagonal tub. Its very nice, we don't have any other kind in our freezer now!
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline Aishi

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 21:14:48 pm »
Oh id forgotten about this thread! thank you for your replies. Creations- im not the best of cooks (not from lack of trying tho!) So i stick.to basics. I did make frozen yoghurt once but he wouldnt eat it ::) ::)

he seems to be ok with cows milk and products but thanks for the tip about soya ice cream LS.

I have had some progress lately...he eats cheese strings, will let me put grated cheese on pasta which was a big no-no and will have about 3 oz of decaff tea made in milk, then whatever i can add through breads, nuts, bit of chocolate/ ice cream etc. Dyt thats enough?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 22:57:46 pm »
Maybe this helps?
http://www.babycenter.com/0_calcium-in-your-childs-diet_10324689.bc
it has the recommended amount of calcium for age and some suggestions for foods.

You can add a few teaspoons of milk powder to the cup of tea to increase calcium. I used to put some in DS's milk drink when it was on the low side.

Offline Aishi

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 07:25:55 am »
Thanks for the link Creations!