Author Topic: Help - Bottle fed baby squirming during feed  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Omacdee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help - Bottle fed baby squirming during feed
« on: February 20, 2014, 13:32:51 pm »
Hi all,
My LO is 15 weeks old and in the past 2 weeks has started squirming like crazy when feeding. He will drink the first couple of oz and then latch off and go rigid. I burp him but he still won't go back on even after a really decent burp and a rest. It can take over an hour to get a bottle into him and he still weight only take 3-4 oz.  i might get the whole bottle into him over the course of 1.5hrs but then hes obviously not hungry when his next E time comes around.  He has also started waking at night where he had been down to one feed and sometimes went right thru. Not sure what to do, otherwise he's a really happy cheerful little man. I brought him to the doctor and he checked him for blockages etc but all fine. Doc said go on hungry formula but that has made no difference. I also increased the teat size to Doc Browns level 2 but still squirms so its not frustration with slow flow.  Can anyone help? He's been on Easy since he was born and is on 3 hourly.
Thanks

Offline izahouston

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help - Bottle fed baby squirming during feed
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 17:41:25 pm »
Hello! I haven't got an answer for you as 'what up' and how to fix it, but I can tell you it's very common. My 6 month old now did exactly the same and it was VERY frustrating. What helped us was taking him somewhere quiet to feed as he was easily distracted (no tv allowed, no other kids playing in the room, no talking to him - he would just smile and talk back heheh) i just looked in his eyes and most of the time he would manage to drink most of it. I got a good news for you it passed by about 5- 5,5 months by itself :) If your baby is very social baby he may just 'forget' to eat at the day time and needs his calories at night. try it, you never know it may help your little one too :)

Offline epting57

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:42:45 am »
Sometimes my DD does this.  Try level three nipple and see if that helps.  My dd went on level two at 10 weeks so he may be ready for level three.  She also has to be in a quiet place to eat. Somewhere where she is familiar.  She won't eat in an unfamiliar place.  I also have to make sure TV isn't on.

Other than that if she is upset won't eat, so I have to calm her first, and try burping a little more.  Gripe water helped us.  We use it in every bottle

Offline Omacdee

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:31:50 am »
Thanks ladies for getting back to me. He has settled a little and isn't as squirmy after a trip to a homeopath! Now he's just waking constantly at night. I thought second time around as supposed to be easier!!!!

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 03:14:35 am »
Wow I totally could've written this post myself.  My wee girl is 16 weeks and has been bottle fed right from a few weeks old and is the fussiest baby!  She struggles to feed when not at home or even at home when it's noisy or the tv is on.  I have a little lad too who's just turned two a couple of months ago so a quiet household isn't something that often happens!  Feeling your frustration, hope that things come right soon :-)

Offline Mommabird

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 16:20:38 pm »
Are you sure he is hungry? Feeding too soon, and maybe he's not interested?he might need to switch to a 3.5 hour easy?

Offline Omacdee

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 08:26:34 am »
Hi Momma bird,
We swapped to a 4 hour easy and while its a bit bette he's still not taking a full bottle.  He will now take 4-5oz where on the 3 hours it was only 2-3.  I think he has something bothering him internally so headed to another doc to see what they think (last one told me my smiling gurgling angel was a cranky baby and to get on with it!!) I know he has the capacity for it as some days he will take the full 7 oz. Will keep searching til I get an answer
Thanks ladies

Offline Kitkat1801

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 21:50:25 pm »
Hi omacdee,

I'm new to this and reading through your post from a few months ago and couldn't believe it as we have exactly the same problem, my wee one takes longer at feeds he gets so distracted plus started t o take less, some days I can only get him to take max 5oz and some good days he will take 7oz per feed,

I hope you get sorted and it was just a phase