Author Topic: 5 month old taking only 700ml a day  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Mum41

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month old taking only 700ml a day
« on: February 21, 2014, 20:15:29 pm »
Hi again - I'd really like opinions on this.  My LO has always been difficult to feed (feeds used to take an hour an a half due to reflux and cows milk allergy).  She's always been a snacker too.  Her symptoms are gone and feeds are more like 20 mins but she sometimes wants a break for 10 mins or so.  I'm concerned that she still takes small feeds and has difficulty making it to a 4 hour gap. The amount she has varies but an example is as follows:-

03:10. 70ml
06:40. 100ml
11:00. 130ml
14:50. 150ml
17:30. 120ml
00:00   110ml

I recently moved her to a medium flow teat but this hasn't changed her intake. Under the direction of the Dietician she has been having about 30g of solids 3 times a day since 17 weeks.  This made no difference to her fluid intake. She weighs 161b 8oz.  My questions are

Is she taking enough?

How can I get rid of a night feed?

Thanks so much in advance.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 5 month old taking only 700ml a day
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 21:57:15 pm »
I think (hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong!) that 25oz is the min daily intake and at 24oz roughly you are fairly close to that. Being that she is taking a lot of solids for her age I imagine she is maxxed out - might change with the six month growth spurt though but I would imagine the nf will only disappear if she can take in the extra calories in the day (from her milk as at this age the milk should be the main source of nutrition).
Heidi

Offline Mum41

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5 month old taking only 700ml a day
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:12:37 am »
Hi - thank you for your reply.  It's good to know she's not too far off the minimum.  I guess I keep comparing to my son (now 7) and he was taking over 1000ml at this age and no nf's.  I am surprised that her intake hasn't changed at all since starting solids and in fact she takes a similar daily amount now compared with when she was 4 weeks!  It's very confusing.  However, her weights ok  - in 90th centile for her age now whereas she was in 50th at 6 weeks.