Author Topic: 14 week old night wake ups  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 14 week old night wake ups
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 07:41:25 am »
just checking how the rest of your night went...

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline 1sttimemamma

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 12:40:16 pm »
HI! it went so much better. I only had to go in at the first cry and pat him and he fell right to sleep. He cried out at around 8 and 10pm, but went back to sleep on his own. At 2am he was sort of fussing and I went in and fed him. He cried at 4am and needed 2 pu/pd and then rubbed his belly and he went back to sleep. It's still only 4:30am here, but SOOOO much better than the night before.

The thing was before bed he finally pooped. I think his belly was bothering him last night. I probably should just start doing gripe water before bed no matter what.

Offline 1sttimemamma

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 17:08:55 pm »
Also - he went to bed last night at 6pm. He slept until 7:30am.

What time would he go to bed tonight? I guess it would depend on naps. If he has short ones, aim for earlier bedtime right ?

Offline Layla

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 22:54:51 pm »
Great update :-*. I would look at how your day went and base bedtime on what time he woke from his last nap...Gripe water is a good idea and I remember pressing dd's legs towards her tummy to get rid of gas!

Offline 1sttimemamma

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 05:55:29 am »
Ok - so the small cries are still happening and I'm just wondering if it's normal. For the last two nights, he's cried 20 minutes after falling asleep at bedtime. Then he cries out two hours later and then usually another 2 hours after that one. They are minor and he puts himself back to sleep and I don't have to go into his room. I'm just curious why he's doing it.

He took his last nap and I woke him at 5:20pm - he was on his way to a long nap, but I didn't want to mess up bedtime. Before that last nap, he was taking short naps each time - 40 minute ones all day long. But that's generally how he does naps.

Offline Layla

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 09:55:55 am »
Hmmm, maybe he's a little overtired from the short naps... how is he when he wakes from his nap? Does he seem to need more sleep or are you able to resettle him for another 40-45mins? I must say though, short naps can be developmental too and we struggled with them until we dropped the 3rd nap, around 5 months. How long is he awake for during the day?

Offline 1sttimemamma

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 15:16:11 pm »
He isn't usually happy when he wakes, but quickly gets happy and is fine. He was a little grumbly yesterday afternoon. He's a pretty happy baby for the most part when he's awake.
I have tried to get him to go back to sleep - but it's usually unsuccessful.
Do you mean awake times? He's generally awake about 1 hr 30 min - but then sometimes he takes 10 to 20 minutes to fall asleep after that.

Also - how do you handle early morning wakings? He went to sleep around 7:15pm last night and woke at 6:15am. At first he sort of cried out , but later changed to chatting happily. I debated going in and feeding him, but honestly, I was too tired so I laid and listened to him. He's been in there an hour at this point and not falling asleep.

Offline Layla

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 10:07:00 am »
I see you've updated your avatar...what a gorgeous little munchkin you have ;D

The early morning wake ups (which for us were anything before 6am),I used to feed and back to bed but I remember sometimes back to bed didn't give us extra zzzz so I would,d just leave her in the cot until I was ready to start the day. Some people start counting A from time they get the baby upon they count the A as 1/2 time before they get the baby up and some count from when they hear the baby wake up. Still, 11hr night is pretty good hun and I think for him that may just be when he's ready to start the day! If you had him do 12-13 hr nights but with lots of night wakings and 11hr night with fewer, I would prefer the 6am start, if you know what I mean.

I wonder if maybe him taking 10-20 mins to fall asleep and then sleeping a short time means he's ready for a little more A time? You could try an extra 10 mins to see if it helps him sleep longer?

How did last night go for you?

Offline 1sttimemamma

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 13:52:43 pm »
Last night was terrible. He had a bad nap day and was obviously overtired. We had to go out for brunch and it just messed up the whole day. He had a morning nap of 30 minutes and that was 2 + hours after waking up. Then we went downtown where we was awake for 2 + hours again and fell asleep for about 10 minutes on the way home but woke up when I pulled him out of the car. I tried to feed him and put him back down, but he was wide awake. I tried in again in an hour and he slept 45 min and I tried to get more out of him and I got 20 more minutes (but not consecutively). After that he did an afternoon nap from about 4:15 to 4:30pm and then he slept another 15 minutes and was waaaaayyy overtired. I put him down at 6:10ish and he woke 20 minutes later and needed me to shh/pat him back to sleep. Then he woke 2 hours later and then 2 hours after that - and then he cried out every HOUR. At midnight, I fed him and gave him gripe water, but he still cried out every hour. He didn't need me to help him, but still. I fed him again just now (5:30am) and I'm hoping he falls back asleep.

I feel I'm never going to be able to fix his daytime naps, so we will always have bad nights. You know?

Offline 1sttimemamma

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 13:53:25 pm »
Oh and thanks - he is a cutie!!

Offline 1sttimemamma

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 04:22:44 am »
We started prilosec two days ago hoping that would help if he were in pain. Last night was fantastic - slept all night without crying out randomly. Now tonight, he's back at it, crying before sleeping, then waking 30 minutes later and crying.

He may not need me to help him when he cries out because it's 30 seconds or less and I don't even go into his room, but it's getting hard.

Is this a "sleep regression"? I'm so confused.

Offline 1sttimemamma

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 15:08:49 pm »
And it got much much worse...he basically cried off and on for 3 hours - sometimes sleeping for 5 min and waking up. I fed him at 11:30pm and he slept until 3:00 at which point I fed him again.

When I put him to bed he seemed really really awake. He had been awake almost 2 hours before bedtime. Could that be it? The only other thing was he took a 2 hour nap (with some crying breaks in between) yesterday morning - waking at around 10:45ish.

Offline Layla

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 22:43:18 pm »
Usually waking up first part of night (before midnight) for us was overtired wakings but if he cried on and off for 3 hrs maybe he was in pain/discomfort? Did he have just a short nap before bedtime and then awake for 2hrs?

I am not too sure what prilozec is used for.. do you think it may be making things worse?

Also, the effects of overtired ness can carry on for a couple of days.

Offline 1sttimemamma

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 01:16:13 am »
Yes it was a short nap before bed - but he always has a short nap. If he takes a 30 min nap and wakes at 5pm (for example) what time would you put him down?
Prilosec is for reflux - but I'm not sure that's what he has. I think I'm stopping the medicine as of tomorrow.

Offline Layla

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 23:37:22 pm »
I would probably put him down at 6.30 if he woke at 5pm