Author Topic: 9mo refusing formula; on solids only. Should I worry?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline aobrien

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9mo refusing formula; on solids only. Should I worry?
« on: February 19, 2014, 20:39:16 pm »
My baby will not take a bottle  >:( and is only eating solids.

I quit breasfeeding 4 weeks ago just after she started taking 4xbottles of formula per day. Then I traveled internationally with her and ever since we landed she will NOT take a bottle. I am getting little concerned about the fact she is not getting any formula/breastmilk (aside from in her cereal).

She's eating 3 meals a day with snacks as soon as she wakes from her two naps. Generally it's a fairly large amount of purees, some mashed stuff where I'll add cow's milk where I can. Will eat yoghurt and cheese each 1/day. I do always give her a bowl of oatmeal in morning with between 8-12oz of formula.

She will sip water (maybe 5-10 sips) from a sippy cup, but not alot. She's not constipated but if I was her, I would be! Her diapers are not soaking wet. She is probably only producing 4-5 wet diapers a day.

What do you think? Do I worry?  I'm wondering if Doc might suggest introducing full cream milk at meals in a cup. Should I go see a doctor?

THANK YOU THANK YOU

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 9mo refusing formula; on solids only. Should I worry?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 20:51:04 pm »
Have you tried cutting the solids back a bit? It sounds like she is having a lot of food - the amount of milk you say she is having with oatmeal is more than the amount I use with oats/ instant oats for my 4 and 7yo!

At her age milk needs to be her main source of nutrition for a few more months and she needs a minimum of 20oz and whilst this does include the milk in foods she does need a reasonable amount of liquid milk too. It's not advised to give cow's milk as a drink until 1 year although it is ok to add some to foods.

Are you offering milk before food? At this age my DD had a bottle at wake up and then breakfast, lunch then a bottle just before her afternoon nap, dinner then her third bottle just before sleep. Three bottles a day is normal for 9/10 month olds and then drop to 2 bottles at 1 year.

You can certainly try offering her milk in an open cup or a sippy or straw cup, it doesn't have to be in a bottle!

Laura

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 9mo refusing formula; on solids only. Should I worry?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:35:50 am »
Maybe she is getting enough water from the purees she eats to keep her hydrated?  Mine didn't take much in the way of water and he never had purees but he ate fruit which contains lots of water.
Maybe drop one of the solids snacks and give formula then instead, like Laura said in a cup with a straw or a doidy cup?  Or for the novelty of it try a small carton of ready made formula with a straw shoved into the carton?