Author Topic: 17 weeks and rolling  (Read 1053 times)

Offline KristenFidler

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 01, 2014, 13:40:09 pm »
My LO is 17 weeks and has trouble settling down because she is trying to roll over.  Her naps are becoming shorter and shorter and fusses when we do PU/PD.  Sometimes in the middle of the night, she wakes up, rolls onto her tummy then cries because she cant get back to her back and cannot settle on her tummy. 

For the PU/PD for naps, do we continue to do this for the remainder time of her nap even if she does not settle back?
What do we do for the middle of the night when she rolls over then becomes wide awake.  I find myself getting into the bad habit of nursing her back to sleep in the middle of the night because PU/PD has not been working.

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 76
Re: 17 weeks and rolling
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 13:46:58 pm »
I don't know how useful pupd is for extending naps; it tends to work better when Los are tired.  I personally only try to extend naps for 10-15 minutes; I've not had any luck trying longer than that.
At night - luckily we've been able to just go in and rescue dd, turn her over, and she's gone back to sleep. Unless she was due for a feed, I would try not to feed her if possible.
Make sure she has lots of floor time during the day to practise.

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 17 weeks and rolling
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 23:44:23 pm »
Hi and welcome to the BW

I'm with Sarah  - pu/pd wouldn't work on extending dd's nap. I used to leave her in the cot (if she was quiet) or try and resettle if she was crying for about 10-15mins and then move on with our day if there was no more S. Short naps could be developmental or it could be an indication of needing more A. How long is he awake for now before you put him down for a nap?

Rolling over and other developmental milestones tend to mess things up... I used a sleep wrap (safetsleep), which worked wonders for all my girls and we only recently weaned dd3 from it, when she was able to roll around whichever way she pleased and it was obvious she wanted more freedom. I agree with giving him lots and lots of daytime practice to master this skill ;D!

20/06/2012 - my angel baby