Author Topic: 4 mos old - increased daytime feeds, now wakes up at night several times?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 4 mos old - increased daytime feeds, now wakes up at night several times?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 00:38:26 am »
Hi Hun, If he's only 4 months old I think he's really too young for PUPD. I would continue trying to do shush/pat for now. If discomfort is in anyway a factor ST is very hard and PUPD will only make it worse.  You don't necessarily have to work on BOTH naps and BT for sleep training. If can APOP at least 1 good nap for the next few days (I forgot if you were a SAHM). Then do sleep training at BT using Shush/pat.

Did the Doctor seem worried about his drop? Is he currently 4 months old now? I'm surprised he would suggest solids as that will just take away from more BF'ing. Are you sure you are supplying enough? How are his feeds? Have you posted over on the BF board to see if you can get any help there with the feeding?

Unfortunately a sleep regression happens when little ones are going through a developmental leep and it makes tweaking a routine and sleep training hard to do. Maybe since you are seeing he is OT, apop his naps bring his A times back a bit and try and reset and then work from there?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline natashalil

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 15:52:31 pm »
Dr isnt too worried about the drop, both me and DH are quite small. i am a bit worried though, want him gaining weight to be a priority - but just as soon as i started feeding him more often, he stopped sleeping? Anywhoo - will try to get some really good naps in so he isnt OT.

As well - I think the problem is that he isnt eating as well during the day as he is at night, yesterday he just didnt seem interested in eating during the day, and then at night he would take really good long feeds.

posting to the bf forum for help on that too.  thank you for all of your advice!!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 18:32:07 pm »
want him gaining weight to be a priority

Hi hun believe me I've been there but if the doctor isn't concerned I wouldn't be. If he wasn't concerned why did he tell you to start solids so early?

I think he could be snacking during the day and taking up at night. I was a FF so i'm no good there but the ladies over on BF can help with that. I think he needs to take full feeds during the day and probably only 2 feeds at this age at night.

But hopefully removing solids for now will at least rule that out and then watching what you eat as well to rule out dairy etc issues. Hope all goes well.

**Siobhan**

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 17:07:06 pm »
thanks!  ds is 19 weeks, and just over 4 calendar months, is he young for pupd?

i have tried increasing daytime feeds and no solids since the 21, so i think he is either OT or ina regression, going to apop the naps today.

i have been shh'ing to sleep for bt (he isnt falling asleep on his own). should i toughen up and reduce that or is there any point in a sleep regression? i feel like we are back at square 1

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 18:09:57 pm »
I would get him over his OT before tackling ST. Have you taken a look at this:http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=180311.0

Towards the bottom you'll see links like Shush/pat and the 4S's which I think may be helpful for you. Give him a day or two of apoping good naps and then hopefully he'll be more rested and you can tackle the ST. But if he doesn't have a good routine ST is going to be more difficult. I think at this age they recommend trying to keep to a 12hr day definitely  no more than 13. She I would think should still be on 3 naps at her age but gearing more towards a 4hr EASY.

**Siobhan**

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 19:01:29 pm »
thanks! is it normal to have to re-sleep train?

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 19:09:34 pm »
Unfortunately yes. When we apop due to illness or they go through a GS, sleep regression, or Separation anxiety we tend to have to Re-ST. But more often then not it's never like the first time. :) With my lo it is usually just a few days to get back on track.

**Siobhan**

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 19:55:50 pm »
thanks yet again :)

do you wait till the regression is done or ST during it?

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
It depends on your lo. With liam I tried doimg wiwo during his 18m regression to no avail he would just get himself so worked up he'd vomit.  so I stopped and just did what he wanted which was stay in the room and then after a few weeks I slowly moved myself out of the room and he went back to normal. The 4m shouldny last too long honestly so I wouldnt do too much tweaking but get him over the OT and then work on the ST. I know its so exhausting.

**Siobhan**

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
thank you so much :)

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
how doyou know when the regression is over?  if i apop (which i have been,nurse to sleep, sometimes cosleep for night time, nurse and car seat for naps), will the regression end, or will it just morph into bad sleep habits from the ap?

how do you know when it started? ds started putting up a real fuss to get to sleep starting feb 8 then started the many night wakes on the 20th (between the 8th and 20th the nw ramped up frpm 1 to 2, then 3, now 4. last night there were 3 nws'0
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 18:18:29 pm by natashalil »

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
will the regression end, or will it just morph into bad sleep habits from the ap?
Hi hun, i was only suggesting to apop the naps not the middle of thie night wakings etc. The point of apoping the naps was to get him over his OT. For the sleep regression you want to keep as close to independent sleep as you can. Was he ever an independent sleeper? Sorry I can't remember.

How are you settling him at night for BT and at the NW's. has he had 2 good days of naps? What's his current EASY?

**Siobhan**

Offline natashalil

• Showing Appreciation 0
hi :)

you were very clear to apop for naps only, i have fallen back on nurse to sleep for NWs on my own to cope  :-\

at BT, we do our routine (bath, massage, pjs, nurse, book), and then do pu/pd till he is asleep in the crib.  for easy, trying to follow the new route cooked up for me by the easy moderator, creations:

WU & E 7.00
A currently 2hr
S 9.00 30 min
E 9.30 (2hr 30)
A 1hr 30 - 1hr 45 following short nap
E 10.30 (top up)
S 11.00/11.15 1hr-2hr
E 1.00 (2.5hr)
E 2.30 (top up)
A 2hr following full nap
S 3.00 2hr
E 5.00 (2.5hr)
A 2 hr following full nap
E top up before bed
BT 7.00
DF 10.00

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
Hi Hun if creations is helping you with your EASY then I will just let her continue to do so and hopefully you can get some relief from the nw's.

**Siobhan**