Author Topic: Do I feed my lo enough?  (Read 6501 times)

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Do I feed my lo enough?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 14:33:35 pm »
me and my two boys, do you mean you mash the pasta with a fork? isn't that thick for chocking hazard, as he cant chew yet? (not questioning you of course!   just learning!!)
My LO has just turned 9 months and he has been eating our family meals for several weeks now, I just cut it all into probably pea/bean size bits, rather than puree, and spoon feed it to him, he has no trouble chewing at all.

Catherine x

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 14:42:08 pm »
Ah sorry yes it was lolly.

But, if the milk comes out of the tiny teat hole surely it can't have big lumps can it?  ???

What kind of finger foods do you mean?
It seems like things are so different here!

So far he eats puréed veggies with meat or fish, pureed fruit (apart from kiwis and strawberries as the doctor says they can cause allergies),lentils, boiled egg (only the yolk) and yoghurt, all by the doctor's advice. Oh and baby biscuits too.

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 14:44:34 pm »
me and my two boys, do you mean you mash the pasta with a fork? isn't that thick for chocking hazard, as he cant chew yet? (not questioning you of course!   just learning!!)
My LO has just turned 9 months and he has been eating our family meals for several weeks now, I just cut it all into probably pea/bean size bits, rather than puree, and spoon feed it to him, he has no trouble chewing at all.

Aaaah ok great that makes sense. Sorry if I seem clueless, I seem to get very different advice in this country! :)

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 15:10:11 pm »
I relate with you, as I live in Italy, and the advice is much more similar to what you say than to the UK/USA direction. I also added rice baby flour in the milk for some feeds at the beginning, even if I stopped because DS always ate well solids, so there is not need. But I know many parents do it.
At 8 mo my DS was having a bottle in the morning and in the afternoon, and DF (we weaned DF at 9 mo). Here, like in Spain I guess, doctors recommend to SUBSTITUTE the milk feeding with solids. So, for example, we had 5 bottles at 6 mo at 8, 12, 16, 19, 23 and at 6 mo we substitute the 12 bottle with solid lunch and at 7 mo the 19 bottle with solid dinner. At 8.5 mo doctor told me to substitute the 16 bottle with yogurt (not every day). The dinner was with cheese, so I suppose it made up for diary intake.
I still don't know if it is a good way of weaning or not, probably if I had to do it again I would keep the milk intake higher, but this is what doctors recommend here and almost everybody weans like this, so I don't think it is "dangerous".
What I did in addition was starting finger foods from 8 mo, as I read it in BW books, and I found that DS learned pretty quickly to eat non puree foods, quicker than other babies here that have been spun-fed until they can't take a spun, as in general is here.
Barbara

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 16:04:19 pm »
Hi again, as others have said you can offer finger foods straight from 6 months. In fact, many of us here weaned using BLW which is only to give finger foods and no puree at all. I say this not to confuse you further as you are well down the puree route which seems to be working for you. I say it only so you can be reassured that a baby at 8 months is perfectly capable of eating solids, it just takes a bit of practice :)
~ Naomi ~

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 17:09:06 pm »
^^ This!

My two both had finger foods along with puree/mashed food from 6 months. For pasta, I just gave the normal pasta twists that we all ate (but cooked slightly longer so they were softer) with sauce on for her to pick up and eat herself.

Babies can "chew" really well with just gums, they just need to have bits big enough that they can pick up in their hands and get to their mouths. Finger or wedge shaped bit work best. With puree it's better not to stay on the really soft stage too long as they need thicker textures and finger foods to develop their oral muscles.

But, if the milk comes out of the tiny teat hole surely it can't have big lumps can it?  ???

If you are putting cereal in the bottle the point of it is to thicken the milk so you need a faster teat with a bigger hole which means that potentially lumps can come out. If it's not thickening the milk enough to need a faster teat then there isn't any benefit from adding the cereal really so you are better off just offering in a bowl.

Laura

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 19:40:45 pm »
You might like to see this:
Baby-Led Weaning

*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 14:00:42 pm »
Thank you all very much for the advice.
I have increased his milk and I have started giving him finger food too, chopped up fruit, he really struggles with his little fingers bless him but he seems to enjoy it! :)

Barbara it's good to hear from someone in a similar situation, thanks for sharing! I guess we need to mix our doctors advice with what we learn here and find a balance!