Author Topic: Ice skating and helmets  (Read 3788 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Ice skating and helmets
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:02:45 am »
I'm taking hamish ice skating this weekend for my neice's birthday.. I'm pretty hopless at it but DH is not awful so we thought we'd give it a go.. As far as i can remember the kids don't seem to wear helmets- where i've seen some of the canadian and north american kids on here wear them whenever they go ice skating. Does anyone know if they are available in australian ice rinks? Should i take his bike helmet? I don't have a problem being 'THAT' parent as i'd prefer to avoid the head injury...

do they ALL wear them or just when playing ice sports? He won't be playing ice sports- just skating with the granny frame... (or crying... and this whole conversation will be a waste!)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:58:54 pm »
I would bring his bike helmet in case they dont have any at the rink.

When I was a kid we never wore helmets when learning, but we are much smarter now  ;)  I think every learn to skate program here makes hockey or bike helmet mandatory.

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 13:07:46 pm »
No useful advice just giggling quietly in the corner and wishing I could come! ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 13:11:03 pm by *jazzberry* »

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 14:18:16 pm »
Bike helmets here recently are no longer approved for any kind of ice skating. Bike helmets do not have protection as much at the back of the head.  A typical fall in skating is when you get scooby doo legs and feet fall from under you and then boom your laying on your back and the back of your head potentially smashing the ice as well.

In saying that, in your situation, I would for sure wear the bike helmet as it is better than nothing. Plus I am sure you will be holding him? Skating is part of our gym curriculum so they skate every Friday all winter as an arena is near us walking distance. Skating is a big part of Canadian culture as you probably gathered from the recent Winter Olympics.

It is also highly recommended for children to wear face guards such as a cage style. I feel ds is a confident skater now at this age as he has been skating for 5 years but I still insist on his skating helmet as I do with scootering and rollerblading and biking.

My main worry for ice skating at this age is typically if he falls, it is face forward doggy style with the face potentially hitting ice, I fear a broken nose and of course smashed permanent teeth!

This is what is required here at public arenas, with or with out the cage. We still have him wear it on frozen ponds and outdoor ice rinks:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 14:52:22 pm by aisling »

Offline TB9

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 14:28:01 pm »
Thanks Aisling, I had no idea about the bike helmet!  I have seen websites for learn to skate programs that say bike helmet or hockey helmet are ok  :-\

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 14:49:08 pm »
In our region/school board the rule just changed this winter. We had bought him a hockey helmet right from the start as the skating school required them so it didn't effect us.  Even adults can't wear just bike helmets anymore. I look so dorky in a hockey helmet (I don't have the face cage attached.) Oh well, must set an example.  I rarely fall but did recently on my bum, lots of padding there so no worries. :P  I really like the face cage for kids though, the thought of DS having to get fake teeth at 8 yrs old really scares me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 14:53:23 pm by aisling »

Offline malenka

• Showing Appreciation 16
Re: Ice skating and helmets
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 16:50:06 pm »
One other thing about bike helmets (on the ice or not), they are not multi-impact helmets, meaning one big impact and they need to be replaced. Here's some info http://professional.childsafetylink.ca/helmets-brain-injury/helmet-policy-and-support/multiple-impact-vs.-single-impact-helmets.html
Meredith - Mommy to

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 17:37:54 pm »
Beat me to the punch Meredith! Was just going to post that. Here the kids must be in CSA approved helmets for recreational skating and hockey and for figure skaters they have to wear them up to a certain level of instruction (not sure but I think age wise that level is usually attained by 9/10 years old).
Heidi

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 00:27:10 am »
So to be clear- if you were taking a toddler on the ice for a little bit of a skate about with DH or myself and/or a granny frame you would DEFINITELY have them in a helmet of some sort? Again- no ice hockey will be occurring...

I might call the rink- they may well have them there and I didn't know. I;m sure I would have remembered kids in full face cage helmets though!!

Interesting on the multi impact thing! Honestly- it's crazy, I take DS on the path scootering and he is literally the ONLY kid wearing any sort of helmet!! There aren't laws here about scooters so people just don't bother! And don't even start me on kids (and adults) who ride bikes and such with helmets ON but NOT DONE UP!! Insane!

Bike helmets here recently are no longer approved for any kind of ice skating.

When I read this I thought 'oh- no need then!' then kept reading and thought 'OH NO!' :-[
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline TB9

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 00:44:51 am »
Yes, I would definitely have my toddler wear a helmet :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 02:13:40 am »
Yup definitely a helmet...when the skates slip out from under them they can't help but land on their head sometimes and it is a hard landing, even with the frame (if they are like the ones here they are just made of glorified plumbing pipe and super light so no help in a fall!).
Heidi

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 03:48:21 am »
ok! I rang the rink and they said that they do have helmets but we are welcome to bring our own as they don't have many of them! No mention of needing to have a face cage and that bike helmets would be fine! I'll bring my own and check out if they have better ones! I'll be interested to see how many kids have them on...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:02 am »
Oh gees- I just turned into 'THAT' mother- the more I read the more I think he needs a full face helmet and I can't imagine they have them there! I'm now hoping that he is too chicken and decides not to do it!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 13:16:42 pm »
Awww he will be fine.  I didn't think they would need helmets there if you mentioned that you hardly see kids in parks with helmets.  Like I mentioned skating is a way of life here. The fact that we have a rink and a pond and neighbour with a rink all in walking distance proves it.  Also our rules for safety are really extreme here.  The cage is not a requirement here just the helmet.  The cage can attach and detach. I like it at this age as I mentioned due to my worries over his teeth. When he was younger it didn't bother me as much.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 13:30:39 pm by aisling »

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 13:29:43 pm »
Our soft play place has one of those fake indoor rinks - they have helmets for the kids that look a bit like the ones boxers wear. My kids always wear them - I am also one of *those* mothers ;) :P

Laura

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 13:36:23 pm »
Wow - I have a rink in my local shopping centre and I have NEVER seen anyone wear a helmet! L is too scared and won't go anyway but it's pretty scary!!
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline TB9

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 14:50:58 pm »
I wouldnt worry about the face cage.  I see little girls learning to figure skate at the arena and they dont have the cage on their helmets  :)  I think if the child is eventually going to play hockey they just buy them a hockey helmet and have the full face protection because they will have to wear it when they start hockey anyway, yk?