Author Topic: Awake 2 hours in the nights  (Read 5149 times)

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Awake 2 hours in the nights
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 09:27:24 am »
Well as it goes he managed a 2 hr pm nap which was great!so the following day no ew!! Went for 3 hr A and got ot 25 min nap!!! Again got 2 hr pm nap but today ew at 6.15 and now crying at 3 hr A in cot so prob gonna get the same!!!! Aargh!! What am I doing wrong. Yest and today he did not even seem that tired at nap times but then does ot naps.

Any ideas? 3 hr A was working but he just seems to cry every nap time now. SA?? Although he shows no signs of this in the day.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 10:33:58 am »
Is it defiantely OT do you think?  It could be he is used to the 3 hours now and needs a push to 3.15. 

Are you shortening the next A time if you get a short nap?

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 09:41:14 am »
Well it depends. If get 40 mins I usually just go with 3 hrs, just over but if I get 20 mins I would shorten by a little bit. He does normally manage a long nap pm nap if had short am ( less than 40)

I really feel the 25 min nap is ot as he woke screaming which he only really does when tired. When 40 min naps were around he was mostly content when he woke.

Yesterday I was wrong! He managed am nap of 1hr 20 but then pm nap was 2 hr 10 as dh did not wake him. Consequently awake for 1hr 15 in the night and up at 6. At least I know now that he definitely does not need more than 3 hrs day sleep!!

Today his first A has been 3hr 20, was trying to push till 9.30am as really want to get rid of early waking. Much less fuss from lo going to sleep today, whinging but no real crying and asleep within 10 mins. Fingers crossed for a good nap.

Do u think he may be ready for his first nap to be shortened? I know it seems early but I just wonder if that may help ew? I know 6 is not massively early but 7 would be more ideal. Or maybe slightly later bed? Just would prefer to keep 7 bt if possible.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 09:49:03 am »
I wouldn't shorten the first nap yet while you are increasing A times but I think you're right in aiming for about 3 hours day sleep. Would you prefer an hour in the am and then 2 hours in the PM or 2 x 1.5?  He does seem to be lower sleep needs than other babies of this age but that's ok too.

If you want to keep BT at 7 I would say realistically 6am is an ok wake up if he doesn't consistently do 12 hour nights. Neither of mine ever did 12 hour nights, 11.5 at most so my day reflected that IYKWIM?

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 06:59:47 am »
Ok, well I might push bedtime just half hr later then.

Since last weeks wake up the following day I capped all naps at 1.5 and had a 13 hr day and still had 4.45am wake up! Also had a day a nightmare nap - only did 1 and he slept thro!! Aargh!!!

Really don't know what to aim for.

Yesterday was 1/2 hr am nap, 1hr 50 pm and 12 hr day. He was awake 1 1/2 hr in the night and woke 6.15.  That means his total sleep is only around 12 hrs!

I just don't get it!!??? What do u think? He has had a cold but that did not disrupt sleep. He is now better, eating more and no sign of teething so don't think it is his health.

If I aim for 3 hr day concerned he with be awake loads in the night even though sometimes this has been ok for him, I would prefer 1 hr am nap and 2 hr pm. Is that ok to do?

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 10:11:58 am »
Also just wondering, if his total day sleep yest was so low should I let him nap longer in the day today? I haven't been as wanted to try and stick to a routine

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 16:43:39 pm »
I wouldn't go for more day sleep the next day. I'd just aim
for a normal day.

Aiming for short am-long pm nap is a realistic aim. What A time is your LO managing now?

Sorry I've had two sick monkeys so not been about to post x

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 07:46:28 am »
Really hope your I'd are feeling better. Poor little things.

I am working on a 3hr 15 A roughly although at times he can manage more after a good nap and 4 hrs even at the end of the day.

Last night was a total shocker! 2 hrs awake and still up at 5.30! At least he used to sleep in to make up for lost sleep. Last night I think there was something wrong though as was upset which is not normal for him, plus it was a midnight wake up, also not usual.

I am just worried that each day he is getting such little sleep and never recovering from it!!! No idea what to do today as been trying to do 9.30 first nap and as lo never gets grumpy he would easily manage to stay up, just worried he will do OT nap but if not our day is out completely and I can never seem to get him to sleep at ebt!!! Aargh!!!

What happened to my wonderful week of sleeping thro and why on earth was I worried about a 6amwake up!!!!???? Ha ha xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 13:31:35 pm »
Any teeth coming?

Cn you post what your day is looking like?  So he's getting 3 hours day sleep usually?

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 09:13:52 am »
Hi
Yeah mostly 3 hours but it seems to make no difference. Yesterday had half hour morning nap as out and 1hr 40 pm in cot and woke at 5.15am. Left for an hour but got to the point of full on tears so had to go in.

2 days ago had a mammoth morning nap of 2 hrs after a shocking night but only 20 min pm nap and slept till 6.15am so was much better!

The days when I manage 2 1.5hr naps he wakes early still. We have had slightly less motn waking.

Prob is ew totally throws us out. He is so ot this morning as pushed first nap to 3.45 A to try to stop ew but now he is crying and can't settle.

No obvious signs of teeth but if I am ever unsure I do try a bit of calpol.

Any other ideas?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 09:27:51 am »

Let me just check what age he is now?

So yesterday was like this:

Wake up ????
3 hours A time
30 minute nap
3 hours A time
1.40 nap
Bed
Wake up 5.15

Can you write out your day like this so I can see all the times?  Even the last few days if you remember. I'm useless without seeing the days x

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 10:05:35 am »
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Here are the last few days. A few 'off schedule days' as we have a group etc but normally aim for 2 1.5hr naps.

Sat wu 6.30 ( after awake 1.5 hrs in the night)
E bf 6.30, 8 solids
S 9.30 - 10.50 ( I decided to let him sleep in as waking at 1.5 had made no difference on the prev days)
E snack
E 1.00
S 3.15 ( really late I know but we had been out) - 3.45
E 4.00 milk 2oz from sippy
E 5 solids
E 6oz from bottle ( first time he has done this for 5 months)
S 7.20 ( aimed earlier but took long time to settle)

Wu 6.20 ( yay!! sttn) and bf
Solids 8
S 9.30 - 11.00 ( I woke)
Solids 12.30
S 2.00 - 3.30 ( I woke)
E approx 2oz from sippy
E solids 5
E 5oz milk
S 6.55
 Wu 11.30 pm offered sippy, had 1oz, back to sleep after shh/ pat etc at 12.50

Wu 5.30
E bf 7
Solids 8.15
S 9. 30
Wu 11 ( I woke)
E solids 12.30
S 2 - 2.50 ( it I guess)
E sippy
E solids 5
E 6 oz and asleep by 7

Wu 5!! Fed and back asleep after 45 mins awake till 6.30
Top up bf at 7
Solids 8.15
S 9.10 ( wanted a nap before out group) - 9.40 ( I woke)
E snack 10.30
E solids 11.45
S 1.00 - 2.40
E sippy and snack
E solids 5.30
E 6oz bottle and asleep 6.50

Wu 5.15
E bf 7
Solids 8.15
S 9.15 - 11
E sippy and snack ( added incase hunger waking lo)
Solids 1.15 ( late as went swimming) had a small amout of sippy milk too
S 2.00 - 3.40 ( I woke)
E sippy ( very little)
E solids 5.30
E 7oz asleep 7.20

Wu 5.30 and asleep by 9.10 today for first nap

Sorry, massively lengthy messsge!!!!

He is 9 months now. Still bf first feed as gradually weaning to formula pre work.  When he wakes he never cries out until about half hour or more of awake time. Just does mantra type cry but can't get self back to sleep. We always leave him as long as possible.

Massive progress with decreased nw but ew making routine hard.

Seems no real difference if good or bad naps.

He has no props, has a lovie although not too interested. Mix of blw and spoon feeding. Loves food now but has very gradually increased amounts over 3 months.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks so much xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 10:10:29 am »
Thanks for that. I'll have a good look now. How many milk feeds/oz of milk is he having in day?

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 14:33:46 pm »
Well I still bf in the mornings, sippy cup offered morning and afternoon but he does not take loads and then a night time feed before bed. He did sttn when had 3 bf ( no am, just pm) but I am weaning of bf. Added milk in the morning again incase he was hungry.

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 09:29:06 am »
Thought I would update u on yesterday too as that was a more normal day.
Wu 5.30, left till upset at 6.15
E bf 7
Solids 8.15
S 9.10
Wu 10.50 I woke
E  11 sippy 1oz
Solids 12.30
S 2.15 ( aimed earlier but he was fighting nap, just crawling round cot)
Woke himself 3.45
E sippy 1 oz
Solids 5
E 7oz bottle and asleep 6.55

Nw 12.55 - 2.10
Tried shh/pat, leaving him, offering water but only thing that worked was sleeping on me and transferring to cot.
Wu 6.10.

I can only ever seem to get 10 hrs night sleep in total. He did used to do 11 and has done 12 when had minimal day sleep before but think that was just because he crashed out bless him.

He is done for first nap, fell asleep like a dream at A of 3hr 10. Fingers crossed I won't get ut nap as he is used to longer A from early wu xxx