Author Topic: Awake 2 hours in the nights  (Read 5487 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 09:37:43 am »
Thanks!!

I think your days overall look good. I do wonder if he needs more A time in general as he handles the A time to first nap well and you get a decent am nap. I wonder if you should start pushing it a bit. That way if you have a 12.5/13 hour day you may well then get a good night without that EW. I know mine did 13 hour days at this stage before we jumped to one nap at 12 months.

My other thought is milk intake. I appreciate you are weaning BFing but you may want to think About giving a bottle in the middle of the day if he normally takes milk well from a bottle?  At this age babies should have 4 or at least 3 BFs with milk in other foods or at least 20oz of milk. May be 18oz by 9 months. But with one BF and one bottle that is 6/7 he's not really getting enough milk as he's not taking much from the sippy. Milk has loads more calories per oz at this age than solids so I wonder if you could get more milk into him would he be fuller and sleep longer at night too.

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Awake 2 hours in the nights
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 15:07:26 pm »
Ok that sounds great. I have given him a bottle after lunch today and he had 7 oz so will keep u updated. With regards to the 13 hr day that sounds fine but just wondering how to start going about this with ew, for example due to delaying first nap to nearly 4 hr A  when have ew lo can last till bt at 7 which is a 14 hr day already but still ew. Therefore day already long iykwim.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 22:58:20 pm »
Oh yes I know. It's just something to work toward.

Do you find nights are worse if he gets more than 3 hours day sleep?

Let me know how your night goes xx

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 14:41:55 pm »
Well last night he slept from 7.10 till 5.10 despite the extra bottle. He had nearly exactly 3 hrs sleep, maybe 10 mins under.

It is hard to remember what he is like with more sleep but I do remember that he was awake a long time in the night the day my hubby let him have really long pm nap. Can't really remember what was happening on the other days he sttn.

Today lo had to be woken after 1 hr morning nap due to having to go out. Will see if that makes any difference.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 14:46:22 pm »
It could take a few days for the extra calories to help.

How does he settle for sleep?  Is he independent? 

Am wondering about wake to sleep?  So maybe try gently rousing him about 4.30am and then seeing does that help break EW cycle. I was always so nervous of that though in case that was them awake for good!

Enjoy your day out xx

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 08:09:08 am »
Well we r all over the place!! As clocks went forward here we woke at 6.10am on sun (would have been 5.10). This have us the opportunity for a 13 hr day but guess Los biological clock did not like this so he eventually slep at 7.30. We had had a total of just under 2.5 hr sleep for the day.

Woke at 4.20!! I suppose at least I know that it is not habitual waking at a set time. Husband fed him 4oz from a bottle and then he slep till 8.30!!!

I know!!!!! Not really sure how we r going to organise our day today. Think I might do a short am nap, longer pm and 8pm bed.

Do u think this means he is def hungry? I feed him his mid day bottle after lunch which means his tummy is always full for pm nap. Might this mean he can't get himself back to sleep if tummy empty?

He is an independent sleeper, no props at all.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 08:36:33 am »
Wow an 8.30 start was nice!!

If his milk intake has cut in the day with you weaning it could be he well is a bit hungrier especially as he took the bottle and then slept so well the rest of the night. I'd keep encouraging more milk in the day and see does that help

Today I'd aim for short am, long PM and 8pm bed and see how the night goes and see can you get a better wake up. Not very BW but generally even at this age I fed at that 4/5am wake up to get mine through to a decent wake up but it's not for everyone! I was just a more pleasant mummy with a quick NF and a 7.30/8am wake up than starting the day at 5am.

That's amazing he's an independent sleeper. That would lend toward feeling hungry too as he knows how to get to sleep himself x

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 09:21:14 am »
Hi!! Success!!! He slept 7.55pm till 7.20am. Yay!!!!

Now to figure out why??!! Ha ha. Could be due to less day sleep ( only managed 2 1 hr naps), less food, strange I know but he has a cough which made him throw up most of his bedtime bottle, or be cause bedtime was later ( or cos he has a cold and cough and needs the sleep)

Trial and error I guess. Going to aim for 7.30 bed tonight and shorten 1st nap just slightly I think. Tbh I have put him down a little early so may only get 40 mins anyway.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 10:30:37 am »
Hurray!!! I hope you get a good night tonight too! Keep me posted!

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 06:50:20 am »
Well after a successful week we have returned to ew😥

Hoping u can see why from our week. We have been a bit all over the place in the mornings but had been going ok. Lo is now fully weaned to bottles

Mon wu 8.30 ( after 4oz feed at 4.30)
Solids 9.30
Sleep 11.40 - 12.30
Solids 1pm
Milk 2.15
Sleep 3.40 - 4.40
Solids 5.30
Bottle and bed by 8

Wu 7.30 and bottle
Solids 9.00
Sleep 10.30 - 10.50!!!
Solids 12.30
Bottle 1
Sleep 2 - 4
Solids 5.30
Bed and bottle 8

Wu 7.20
Sleep 11.10- 11.50 ( as out)
Solids 12.30
Bottle 2
Sleep 3 - 4.40
Bed 7.45

Wu 6.55
Sleep 10.20 - 10.45 ( out)
Solids 12.30
Bottle 1.15
Sleep 1.45-3.45
Bed 7.30
Wu 5.45

I know wu is not quite as early but sure that is cos bt still half hr later. He wakes up early groaning and trying to get back to sleep but if u go to him he is happy to get up. I have limited nap 2 to 2 hrs if he has slept that long. Should I not?

Not sure what to do today with ew. Thought he might be ot after busy week???

Any ideas?
Not sure if this makes a difference but last 2 nights I heard him wake and groan for a while until asleep, prev nights no loud wake ups at all.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2014, 07:58:40 am »
Hey lovely. Sorry I've been working and were away for the weekend so have just checked in quickly. I've asked another mod to pop over and take a look as I'm not back to Tuesday xx

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 16:51:59 pm »
Hi Hun, just trying to remember your lo is 8 months right?On your first day it looks like he had an two short naps so possibly he was making up for a shorter nap day with a longer sleep at night. But with the long 2hr nap he maybe was UT for bt or OT for the day.  It look slike you are doing a full 3-3.5hr A time on a short 20/30min nap in the morning which I think may be a bit too long for an 8month old. 

For that first nap are you capping it or is he waking at that time on his own?

My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2014, 21:20:26 pm »
Hi. Thanks so much for looking at my post. I wake lo if he reaches 1.5 hrs but if the nap is shorter I don't wake. If we r out or in the car the nap will always be short.

Just can't seem to find the right nap schedule for us. 10.5 hrs seems max night sleep with 3 hr day naps. Last night he did not fall asleep till 7.45pm so 4 hr A pre bed. He was awake at 6am which is fine (as not 5am!!!) and totally refreshed as he happily played in his cot for 45 mins till we got up.

Def don't think it is hunger as giving extra milk now and he eats well. Do you think I should cap afternoon nap if have shorter am nap eg don't let him have as long as 2 hours?
Would struggle to increase A times and still have reasonable length day. A times are anywhere from 3.15 - 4 hr. Always seems to be able to do long naps at any if these A times if we r in the house.

My instinct say maybe LSN and to decrease day sleep but nervous as feel like when this naturally happened last week due to being out this did not work as the week progressed!

My lo is now 9 months old. Looking froward to hearing your thoughts x

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 18:11:12 pm »
I think your short naps in the AM are causing overall OT for the day. I would try for the next week or so to ensure he has two good naps at home and see how that affects your routine. It's ok to have the occasinaly short nap out but to do it often I think may be one issue? 10.5hrs a night is what my lo did on two naps. It wasn't until we went to one nap that his nights extended and even then it was only to 11/11.5.
My instinct say maybe LSN and to decrease day sleep but nervous as feel like when this naturally happened last week due to being out this did not work as the week progressed!
I think it worked for a few days then the OT built up and he crashed.. that's why I say 2 naps at home and the occasional nap out is ok. If he short naps, make sure to decrease the second A time to compensate. I think 2 1.5hr naps is ok at this age (he's 8 months right?) but if after a week or so of 2 good naps at home he's wkaing early then yes you can start cutting one nap shorter. Let me know how it goes.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline gb18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2014, 19:05:13 pm »
Hi. Thanks for your reply.
I have been working on 2 1.5 hr naps for a while but then the early waking started. I know the short naps were bad last week, not an ordinary week. Normally make sure no more than a couple if short naps a week.

Today lo woke at 5.15am but after a while managed to get himself back to sleep. Probably had a total of 11 hrs sleep in total that night.

Will def try to work on reducing A after short naps. Did this today ( 1hr second nap) but lo cried like he does when ut. He did settle himself after a bit though so guess he needs to just get used to being less tired.

Is 10.5 hr night time sleep normal? Just feels quite short and  a very long day. When he was waking at 5.15am and going to bed at 7pm I had to push first A to about 4 hours and he often cried when settling as very tired. I should say aswell that lo  used to sttn ( well for 8 days in a row) and that was with 2 1.5 hr naps and occasional short nap in the week but then it all seemed to go wrong!!

My baby is 9 months old now, not 8 months.

Thanks