Author Topic: Independent play for 5 mo old?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline lhurley168

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Independent play for 5 mo old?
« on: February 25, 2014, 15:56:24 pm »
I'm curious as to how much independent play can be expected of a 5 or 6 mo old? I don't know if DS is entering a phase but he gets very frustrated if DH and I are not interacting with him every moment. Laying on the floor and us talking to him sometime is not even enough. For the past few days he's been fussy in his jumper (which he absolutely loved about 2 weeks ago). I'm finding it very difficult for him to play for 10-15 minutes even when I'm in the room. Any suggestions? Should I be giving him undivided attention at this age? I read in the play cycles that it teaches him to be independent later.

Offline shannoncorrin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 21:29:14 pm »
I have been wondering this too.  I have a 20 week old and never know how much IP he should have and what he should be doing during IP.  His A time is about 2 hours, so right now he usually gets about 15-20 min of IP and the rest of the time I am playing with him (or feeding him, changing diaper, etch).  I not sure if that is normal or not!

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Independent play for 5 mo old?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 21:45:42 pm »
Can he sit up?  Just wondering if he gets bored / frustrated lying down and needing things to be passed or shown to him.  My DD always liked to be involved in things and we found the bumbo really useful until she could sit unassisted so that she could still see things upright and reach for a few toys. I know plenty of people would disagree about the bumbo though, so just my experience there!

As far as IP, you might find this gets easier as he gets older because he won't be as limited in what he can physically do.  I didn't used to give her specifically allocated IP time, but when DD was sitting but not mobile and I needed to get something done I used to put her in whatever room I was in so that she could see me and I could talk to her, but with some toys so that she could choose to play.  Other than that I guess she got pretty much undivided attention between feeding, changing, bathing, playing, going for walks, errands, etc.  IP naturally happened more as she got older, first with mobility and now at age 2 with imagination.
Emma

Offline Mom-of-boys

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:03:34 am »
My DS2 is also 5 mo and I think it's partly a phase because we're in the same boat.  He's usually the most content when he first wakes up send after eating but the longer he's awake the more he wants my attention or to be held or carried around.  I have an almost 3 yo too so DS2 is pretty much forced to have ip sometimes, iykwim :).  Like Emami said, it's probably somewhat boredom, so I try to offer him different toys, move him around to new spots or change his position, ie on the couch, on his tummy, in his bouncer chair, in a jolly jumper, on our bed, etc. 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 04:34:40 am »
My DD3 is just over 6 months and can manage maybe 10 min of IP before she starts looking for someone's attention. We are just getting into the phase where she realizes I am separate from her and now she really kicks up a fuss if I walk away (even to the other side of the same room!). I even bring her in the shower with me now as she wants to be near me and she loves water and lately have been using a back carry with my mei tei carrier to keep her close while doing jobs around the house. Slightly easier when DH and DD's 1 & 2 are home as big sisters are good entertainers.
Heidi

Offline cadumg

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 19:49:33 pm »
My boy has 8 months, he can sit, stand up if something is near and almost walk. He can't play alone for more than 5 minutes, even if we change the toy, put something different, etc. Beeing at the same room and talking to him. It doesn't matter. He starts to make a "mmmmmm" sound, than it louder and than cry. He stops as soon as we sit with him.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 20:01:37 pm »
At a similar age I happened on something that kept DS amused for ages: sitting in his bumbo in front of a mirror, talking to the 'other baby'. We didn't do it loads, but it was another option!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015