Author Topic: 7 month old started refusing solids  (Read 1945 times)

Offline torie2507

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 25, 2014, 18:45:42 pm »
Hi,

My 7 month old son has started refusing to eat solids.  I started weaning him 4 weeks ago following BLW, which worked really well for us with my DD.  DS took to BLW really well, however he started waking at night which he previously didn't do.  So, on recommendation / badgering from family and friends I transferred to a puree approach, which went ok to begin with but for the past week he has refused to eat any solids at all accept a few finger foods.

He is teething, his first 2 teeth broke the surface a couple of weeks ago and it looks like he has a few more about to come through.  He also has a mild cold which may be affecting his appetite but I'm worried that he's not eating at all and taking a massive backward step.

He's a big boy so I'm not worried about his weight too much, plus he seems to drinking more milk (BF).  I guess I'm just looking for reassurance, has this happened to anyone else?  Do you think it would be best to go back to BLW which he seemed to prefer or do a mix of the two approaches.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 7 month old started refusing solids
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:08:11 am »
I guess I'm just looking for reassurance
Be reassured :)

So long as he is taking milk all is well. Milk has higher nutrition and calories than solids for a baby this age, if he has enough milk he is fine with no solids at all. I've seen quite a few LO's on the boards waking at night after solids are introduced, I guess either gas or if not that then the higher level of stimulation they are getting during their A time - food is a whole new thing to them, not just to *eat* but to smell, touch, squish, pick up, drop, it is like a new toy really so can make them more tired (OS/OT) in the early days.

If you are happy with BLW then that's the route I'd take. I also did BLW and really believe in the experience helping LO learn about the individual family's tastes/meals, it's also great for developing fine motor skill and language development as the mouth muscles are used. But if you want to do puree and finger foods side by side then that's fine too, or pre-load spoons with puree (or naturally mushy foods such as humus, yogurt) and let baby pick up the spoon to self feed?

Teething and illness can easily put a LO off their food for a few days, and again so long as they have milk that's fine, they will begin to eat more solids again when they are ready. Don't think of it as a step backwards, the primary food before 12 months is milk so any solids he has between now and then are tastes and experiences. He might pick up to full meals in a few months and that's fine but milk will remain the primary food.

hope this helps

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • DIY Home Health Physical Therapy
Re: 7 month old started refusing solids
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 22:25:30 pm »
Reassuring for me to read too!  My 8 month old is starting to refuse solids... so I think after reading this that I'll focus on all the milk he wants... thanks!
With God all things are possible!