Author Topic: Is my 7 month old on a nursing strike? or is she indeed eating enough?  (Read 976 times)

Offline tamlev

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1

I've read the information on nursing strikes & shorter BFs (in the FAQ's section) but I still would like some help.
My 7 month old DD has very short feeds (3-6 min. for each side, sometimes only 1 side.) this has been going on for a while.
She usually eats for a couple of min. straight (3-5) then stops and I try to put her back so she sucks a bit and stops (over and over until she really refuses- she is extremely strong... and shows she wants to get up). She is very curious (since she was born) and wants to grab anything around her. If it is not in hands reach, she tries to "dive" towards it. I feel that lately she has been eating less and less on the breast.
We have an issue of night wakings and we realized it is hunger so as the BW suggests, we tried to up her calories during the day with formula (since I can't have her stay on the breast longer...). So after every feed I would give her a bottle with 2 OZ. (unless it was a really short feed then I would give 4, and she would eat 3-4 OZ.).

We introduced solids at 4.5 months (very little tastes and as she grew older we increased the amounts). Last week we stopped with the solids for a couple of days since she was becoming extremely fussy and upset while eating. I wanted to "reset" her so I only nursed for 3 days (with the addition of a bottle after every meal as described above), that went well. After 3 days, I gave her snacks of solids (a bit of applesauce/prunes/vegetable soup) in between BF (at about 8:30 and 12:00). The last couple of days she isn't interested in eating what I offer BUT seems to really want to try to feed herself with the spoon. I guess she might be ready for finger food (will start that this weekend).

My question is, is it ok that I give the additional bottle (about 2 OZ.) after every meal? We seem to be going through a lot of formula (we also give a bottle with formula and a bit of rice cereal after the bath before bed to help her get through the night. I think that helps). Although the past two nights she still woke once and had a hard time going back to sleep so we ended up giving her 4 OZ. of formula.

I am going back to work in two months so in the mean time I would like to keep nursing (after that I will nurse morning and evening) and add solids.

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much!
Tammy

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Is my 7 month old on a nursing strike? or is she indeed eating enough?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 21:02:11 pm »
My two were down to 6 and 8 minute feeds (total) long before 7mo so yes it is totally possible that she has just had enough. It is actually quite common for bf babies to take an ounce or two from a bottle after a BF even if they aren't still hungry simply because it is easy and quick. Unless you want to offer the formula bottles then I would think you would be ok to reduce them. Maybe do it one at a time to give your supply a chance to catch up.

Are you putting the cereal in the bottle at BT? Not sure where you are but here in the UK it is recommended never to do that as it is a choking hazard. Safer and better for her development to give cereal in a bowl with a spoon.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline tamlev

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:19:18 am »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. She has been eating a bit better yesterday and today (not stopping so much) so I didn't give her the bottle after the feeds. I'd rather not obviously...

Interesting about the cereal... I do indeed give it in a bottle with formula. I live in Israel and never heard that. The instructions on the package say that the cereal in a bottle should be thinner (so easier to suck) so I am not so sure about the choking. I will check it out.

Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:57:14 am »
It is because it might not mix evenly or may clog in the teat and then she will suddenly get a lump while drinking and it could cause her to choke.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011