Author Topic: Baby proofing for DS2 - what to do about DS1's toys?  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Mom-of-boys

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Baby proofing for DS2 - what to do about DS1's toys?
« on: February 26, 2014, 18:44:13 pm »
Not sure if this is the right spot to put this question but I'm looking for some tips for baby proofing for my DS2.  Specifically, my DS1 has so many toys with small parts or that shouldn't be going in a baby's mouth, etc.  Most of his toys are stored in his room (which they will soon be sharing), and we alternate our favorites toys out in our living room where we do the majority of our playing.  How did you babyproof your house for your second/third kids without obviously getting rid of all his favorite toys?

Offline TB9

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
Re: Baby proofing for DS2 - what to do about DS1's toys?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 20:00:36 pm »
Any toys that dd2 cannot play with we just put in bins out of her reach.  DD1 has lots of books that dd2 will ruin, they go in her closet or on top of her dresser.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 20:22:50 pm »
what is your age difference? 

we are almost three years apart.  we didn't put away any of E's toys at all. 

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 02:38:56 am »
Some of the girls' toys went away for a bit, or we're less accessible for a time until we could trust ds with them.  Legos with small pieces, teeny tiny doll clothes, stuff like that.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 14:41:22 pm »
ok are those tickers new?  I swear I did not see them yesterday :P

your older son is still pretty young does he have a lot of toys that would be a danger to your younger one?  the only thing we really had that was marked for three and older when B was a baby was little cars.

Offline Mom-of-boys

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 15:21:00 pm »
Lol, the tickers are new...I keep seeing them on everyone else's posts, so I figured out how to add them to mine.  My DS1 hardly ever put toys in his mouth, strange I know, so he does have some small plastic animals, small cars, and little Playmobil accessories that I would think would be a choking hazard.  Maybe I'm being paranoid :). Maybe once we actually sit down and go through the toys it won't seem like that much.

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 19:04:46 pm »
We put DD's toys that worried us in a clear plastic bin with the lids that have snaps on the side, kind of (like the Really Useful brand) and DS couldn't get it open. She played with those toys while he was napping.
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 19:15:20 pm »
We have too big of an age gap to do much (think barbie shoes, lego, beading sets...) but we are lucky that with a partially finished basement being our family room that we are able to completely babyproof the upstairs living room and gate it off so there is one totally safe place for DD3 - no food or small toys allowed (or dogs!).

Plus I have a plan to make part of our spare room into a toy room and a huge armoir into a craft storage area so we can really keep things up off the floor for a couple of years. Which is kind of a good thing for the kids to learn anyways as we have one dog who loves to chew on random stuff!
Heidi