Author Topic: 23mth old wants to sit on a big chair.  (Read 3264 times)

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 28, 2014, 19:52:07 pm »
We have hard tiles in our kitchen. I've allowed my dd to sit at a normal chair. It makes life a little easier but I'm afraid to death she will smack her face off the tiles some of these days :-(

Any tips or advice./ do I just let her do it and find out for herself?

Offline lilisuze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
Re: 23mth old wants to sit on a big chair.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 19:56:52 pm »
I say just let her go for it. Is she a decent climber? I'd be tempted to get a strap or something so for times you want her to stay still you can keep her on the chair. We have a totseat that clips around any chair
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 03:15:36 am »
DS has been out of a high chair and on a regular chair since around 18 months without any problems. He mostly kneels while eating, but lately has started being tall enough to sit normally. He never fell off (or at least nothing that stands out as a scary fall), we also have tiles on the kitchen floor.

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 21:13:08 pm »
Thanks girls. Yes she is good at climbing but she be swaying about, sometimes standing up. I just can't watch her. Afraid she would fall and break her teeth or something.maybe i just have to get over it

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 11:16:15 am »
I know it's easier said than done (my 3yo often attempts to stand or climb into the table ::) ) but I'd insist that she sit or kneel, not stand on a big chair.  You could perhaps say that you need to keep her safe so if she doesn't sit/kneel then you'll have to put her back in the high chair for her safety (and follow through with this of course if she does stand again). Hopefully she'd learn quite quickly.

Alternatively, like pp suggested is to get a tot seat (we used one too) or a booster seat that you can clip her in to.  My DD was in a booster seat from about 2-2.5 yrs. not so much for the height but for keeping her safe and to address the issue you've raised.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 20:49:07 pm »
Thanks yes might get her a booster chair. Good idea. X

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:13:04 am »
Have you got or could you get a chair with arms?  I let my LO out of a high chair at this age and we have a wooden laminate floor.  He never fell.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/