Author Topic: 6 month old night wakings - trying shush pat  (Read 8391 times)

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 6 month old night wakings - trying shush pat
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2014, 09:46:35 am »
are they still taking the catnap? maybe its time to transition to 2 naps as being awake in the middle of the night could be front to much daytime sleep/need for a routine change

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 05:38:28 am »
They are still taking the catnap. They have only just turned 6 months corrected age. Thing is, I don't think they are UT. They are pretty awful nappers and rarely do more than 45 mins no matter how I jiggle around their routine. I thought by extending their morning by 10 mins they might go down for longer. But it hasn't made a difference.

They do seem to be settling now though. The last 2 nights they've Been up at 5am, I've fed them then put them back down...I can handle that .
Mummy to two gorgeous twin girls

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2014, 08:32:45 am »
Just a quick update: we had our first full night of sleep with the twins together!

Hoping it lasts. We had one wake up at 10 LT has started screaming on waking up. High pitched full on screaming, not sure why! But we shush patted through it and it was over in 15 mins....

Offline Layla

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2014, 08:39:51 am »
Wow, that is incredible!!! ;D ;D ;D

Could the LT be teething? Dd would also sometimes wake up crying and dh or I would have to give her a quick pat and she'd go back to sleep.. not sure why she did it ::)

Sounds like they're learning to sleep through each other's noises, which is also awesome :)

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2014, 10:29:57 am »
It's not teething, it seems to be a developmental thing I think. LT has started to have what seems like baby tantrums?! She sometime clenches her teeth (well, jaws) and growls when she is excited or she is bored etc. I think she funds it hard to deal with her emotions sometimes. Just didn't think it started this young. Now when she wakes up the last couple of times she screams and clenches until she can finally go back to sleep.

Nap times are worse though! She got to a point where when she woke up after 45 mins I could shush pat her back to sleep.  The last nap I put her down for she went into total screaming and crying meltdown which lasted 2 hours until I took her for a walk. Its like she got to a point of no return...I must admit it threw me a bit. And I feel a bit worried about shush patting her in case she does it again!!

Offline Layla

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 02:58:19 am »
Do you think she might be ready for some more A? If the naps are back to 45mins, usually that meant for us needing more A :)

Offline nippo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2014, 08:13:58 am »
Our nap times have never really got past 45 mins lol. I have been working on shush patting to extend which worked for a week. Somehow in that week LT has begun to scream whilst self settling and I have to go back in and stay with her until she goes to sleep. It's like she's overtired but she isn't. She has learnt to scream....

She is doing it before bedtime and at naptimes too now...it's become part of her sleep routine...it isn't just screaming. It is accompanied with full on tears and snotty nose. She can't stay up for more than two hours at the moment...