Author Topic: 8mth old waking at 5am every morning!  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
8mth old waking at 5am every morning!
« on: March 03, 2014, 06:51:45 am »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me please?

I recently posted on the nap forum as I really needed the routine tweaking for my near-8-month old. Tinkerbell99 was very helpful and I think we're finally in a nap routine that works, but now I'm getting 5am EW every morning  ::)

Our new routine looks like this:
Wu 5am chatting, blowing raspberries, moving around. I don't go in unless she's crying as that excites her more.
Get up 6.30
Bottle 7 4oz
Breakfast 8.30
1st nap 9.15-10 (I'm trying to move this to 9.30, but with the EW it's just impossible at the moment)
Bottle 6oz 11
Lunch 12.30
Sleep 1.30-3
Bottle 6oz 3
Dinner 5
Bath 6.10
Bottle 4oz 6.25
Bed and asleep by 6.40
DF 10.15 max 5oz (phasing this out gradually.. Moved from 11-10.15 and reduced amount in bottle)

Extra info...DD is teething at the moment but doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort. She is desperately trying to crawl and I think she might have it mastered in the next week or so.

She doesn't wake to eat and is happy to wait until 7 for her bottle most mornings. I have tried an early bedtime at 6, but she still wakes at 5!  :-[

I'm happy with the 1st 45 mins nap as it encourages her to take a longer nap in the afternoon. She's only ever taken 45-mins naps since she was 3months old. So happy we have a longer one in the afternoon thanks to Tinkerbell99's help.  :D

I have looked over lots of historical posts about EW at this age and haven't found a solution, so was wondering if anyone has any ideas? Any help would be most gratefully appreciated! I'm at my wits end with these EW!

K xx
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:56:39 am by Kellyjs »

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
Re: 8mth old waking at 5am every morning!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 13:39:09 pm »
It simply could be that she's trying to crawl.  Medi is doing this now ::). It baffles me why 5 am is prime practise time.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 15:04:00 pm »
Thanks for replying Sarah. I have tried explaining 5am is not wake up time, perhaps I should tell her it's not for crawling either!  ;D

Glad I'm not the only one though. I just hate mornings, especially when they're that early!

To top it off, today I've totally messed up her naps as she was giving me sleepy cues early, so back to a 45-minute afternoon nap... I have no clue what I'm going to do about bedtime tonight!

K x

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 19:03:17 pm »
Hi hun, if she tacks just do a slightly EBT. If not could you try and apop a short CN like 20min before BT. As for the 5am that was my sons prime time to wake if he was going through a development of some sort. His was 4:45. This board is COVERED in my posts lol. He's almost 2 and he still does it. But like this morning i just yelled down the hall to go back to sleep and he did. So there is hope. :)
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:52:56 am »
Thanks for the reply! I had to do a spot of AP and go for a drive to get her to have a 20 mins nap. First and hopefully last time I'll have to do that! She never settles well at bedtime when I try and squeeze a cat nap in  :(

Thanks so much for the reassurance. Hopefully she'll get over this soon and we can go back to normal WU's! I suppose I have to look on the positive side... At least she isn't screaming the place down at 5am.

At least you guys haven't picked up something terribly wrong in our routine.. As it's new, I was thinking perhaps I screwed it up somewhere along the line!

Oh they do keep us guessing these bubbas don't they?!

Thanks again for all your support, I can't tell you how much it helps.

Xx

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:26:48 am »
:)

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 08:20:34 am »
Hi all,

This is getting pretty ridiculous, the 5am EW is still plaguing us. I now have shifted the first nap from 9am to 9.45am even when she's woken at 5am. Normally she still sleeps 45 mins but yesterday when I went to get her she frowned at me and turned onto her side and fell back to sleep! Very funny at the time.  :D
However, I can only normally get 1x45mins nap and if I'm lucky a 1.5hr nap out of her a day or EBD if the 2nd nap is a disaster. This routine has changed from 3x45mins in the last month after she started refusing the third nap and I discovered her A times were way off for her age. She's gone from 2.5 hr A to 3.5 A in a relatively short space of time. And that's after a 45-minute nap!

I've got to be doing something wrong! She just seems to be needing less and less sleep.

She is now commando crawling so a lot happier during the day now she's not so frustrated. This morning when she woke at 4.45am, she wasn't practising her crawling, just laying there and shouting! I s/p until 6am until I got her up. Why oh why is she wide awake at 5am?  ???

The only time in the last month we've had a later than 5am WU is when she had crappy naps all day because we were out. We had one nap of 45mins in the am, then 2 naps of 30 mins both in the car. However as the last nap was 4pm she was a nightmare to get to sleep that night... Never normally a problem. Cat naps have never worked for us close to bedtime.

I know many have had this problem and we have had it before, but it's never gone on for this long! I must be doing something awfully wrong? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Sorry for the rambling post....

K xx

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 18:16:02 pm »
Is it always 5 am?  What do you think about trying wake to sleep?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 18:38:00 pm »
Hi again Sarah, thanks for replying. Have you managed to solve your EW?

It's not always 5, can be 5.10 or like this morning 4.45! Normally within that hour though. I've tried wake to sleep the last time we had this when she was around 4.5 mths old and it just woke her up and she was very excited about starting the day!  ::) Bit dubious about trying it again after that disaster, but if you think it might work, I'll give it a go again?

I've posted my routine on the EASY forum as we're back to 45-mins naps as well now... Even after nearly 5 hours awake from the EW to first nap! Now that can't be right ... If 45mins means UT. Hopefully an easy expert might be able to see what's going on there. She likes to keep me guessing this one!

Xx

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 20:38:54 pm »
We're still having them too :(. More like 5:30-6 the last few days which is slightly more tolerable.

If her waking is as inconsistent as you say, w2s probably wouldn't work. (And like you say, you might have an even earlier morning.).

It is quite normal for them to need less and less sleep and around 8-9 months one of the naps will start to get shorter.